Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 6 design - yay, or nay?

• Total voters

Mufaddal

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Chicago
I agree it looks gorgeous.

But I do wish apple would return to the slate aluminum in the black phones, instead of the lighter space grey. Something about that dark color looked so stealthy.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
It's unfortunate that Apple chose to retain the same old giant top and bottom bezels. As a result they are left with the entry level 4.7" iPhone six being the same size as a 5" Android phone. The company wasted an opportunity to create a fresh looking phone, most likely because their greed prevailed. Keeping the same of old style is a mistake without consequences however since Apple customers will buy anything.

This styling mistake on Apples part is highly uncharacteristic of them. It's as though they have a very inexperienced designer at the helm. Why the highly decorated Jonny I've did not do anything to create a fresh look for Apple is puzzling to some, yet the Apple Faithful are sure to make excuses for Apple and declare the iP6 as beautiful. Only in AppleLand.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ers-must-adapt-to-these-5-big-screen-changes/

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
This styling mistake on Apples part is highly uncharacteristic of them. It's as though they have a very inexperienced designer at the helm. Why the highly decorated Jonny I've did not do anything to create a fresh look for Apple is puzzling

Well, considering Cook put a hardware designer as UI designer, I can only imagine he reassigned the previous pre-2013 UI designers and made them the hardware designers.

That way Apple can achieve a consistent level of mediocrity and sloppiness in design across their entire product line!

HarryDevlin

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
Saratoga, CA
Hoping that they fixed the simultaneous voice/data issue

Everyone thought that the iPhone 5 would fix the problem of simultaneous voice and data on Verizon, Sprint, and other CDMA carriers but Apple forgot to include separate antennas for the voice and LTE radios so the problem continued.

Not a big deal on GSM carriers where the iPhone drops the data connection to 3G (W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSDPA+) for the duration of the voice call, but nearly every Android phone doesn't have to do this, they just turn on both radios at the same time. But on CDMA carriers, where simultaneous voice and 3G data is not possible, it's meant that Verizon and Sprint users have been unable to do simultaneous voice and data, on the iPhone at all. Personally I used to think this was not a big deal, until I needed to look stuff up on the web while on a call. Couldn't do it--had to end the call, find the information, and call back--what a pain. In Verizon and Sprint stores they are quick to point out this deficiency of the iPhone in order to try to sell higher margin Android phones, and no doubt this is part of the reason for Android's increase in market share.

This is the chance for Apple to catch up with Samsung, LG, Moto, etc.. They are catching up regarding screen size. They are catching up in NFC. They need to also be able to do simultaneous GSM or CDMA voice plus LTE data. It should not have take Apple so long to catch up to the competition.

----------

It's unfortunate that Apple chose to retain the same old giant top and bottom bezels. As a result they are left with the entry level 4.7" iPhone six being the same size as a 5" Android phone. The company wasted an opportunity to create a fresh looking phone, most likely because their greed prevailed. Keeping the same of old style is a mistake without consequences however since Apple customers will buy anything.

This styling mistake on Apples part is highly uncharacteristic of them. It's as though they have a very inexperienced designer at the helm. Why the highly decorated Jonny I've did not do anything to create a fresh look for Apple is puzzling to some, yet the Apple Faithful are sure to make excuses for Apple and declare the iP6 as beautiful. Only in AppleLand.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ers-must-adapt-to-these-5-big-screen-changes/

Screen sizes of iOS devices are dictated by the need to maintain integer multiples of the number of vertical and horizontal pixels. The downside is you may have those bezels rather than making the phone wider (and harder to hold). The upside is that it's easier for app developers to not have to deal with so many screen sizes with different aspect ratios (it's a real hassle for Android developers).

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I think a lot people will buy this regardless to what it looks like.

Replace "a lot people" with "almost everyone" and you would be 100% correct.

I'm always amused at these threads. I'd love to be able to see how many of the "it's so ugly I would never buy one" folks buy one anyway (especially after the magic Apple PR machine takes over next week).

Apple could make it ass ugly (luckily they don't). People will still buy it just because it's an iPhone. We've already demostrated time and again that people simply don't have the intestinal fortitude to not follow the masses, and the masses are going to be lining up just for the privelege of buying it.

After several failures, that attitude might change, but until then it really doesn't matter what it looks like. They've built up so much goodwill at this point, it will sell extremely well no matter what (for at least a generation or two... then it could change, but not before then).

I like it. I'll be buying at least one. :cool:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Do you have a link to the pictures with the gold model? :)

Unfortunately they turned out to just be a Goophone-like clone :(

I've attached them anyway, as I think they looks nice nonetheless. Hopefully Apple colour-matches the bands in a similar way.

Attachments

• 2573991_iPhone_6_gia-10.jpg
    2573991_iPhone_6_gia-10.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 2573988_iPhone_6_gia-7.jpg
    2573988_iPhone_6_gia-7.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 2573987_iPhone_6_gia-6.jpg
    2573987_iPhone_6_gia-6.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 84

MacFinnley

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2014
Munich, Germany
Unfortunately they turned out to just be a Goophone-like clone :(

I've attached them anyway, as I think they looks nice nonetheless. Hopefully Apple colour-matches the bands in a similar way.

Yeah, looks very good. Apples polished final version will look even better. It's decided: I'll take gold. :cool:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
If the mockups are indeed true, I love the design. I'm ready to ditch the look of the 5 (I have the 5S now). Really contemplating selling my 5S on eBay. I have stuck with the S cycle for the past 2 iPhones, my first iPhone was the 4S, then got the 5S was gonna wait for the 6S but I don't know, we will see... :cool:

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Well, considering Cook put a hardware designer as UI designer, I can only imagine he reassigned the previous pre-2013 UI designers and made them the hardware designers.

That way Apple can achieve a consistent level of mediocrity and sloppiness in design across their entire product line!
I hadn't thought of it the way you've just explained. I find it highly likely you may well be right on target.

Jfriend33

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
Apple needs to ditch their annoying elongated screens.

It grinds my gears when hd video playback has letterboxes. What year is this?

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
If it looks exactly like in those pictures then i like everything apart the massive gaps and the protruding camera lens and i think it would be a step backwards in terms of design in these 2 areas.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013

What are you talking about? iPhones have had 16:9 screens since iPhone 5 in 2012, pretty much the same aspect ratio as every other smartphone out there, and the same aspect ratio as HD, full HD and quad HD videos.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Please, tell us more about these "elongated" screens...

Otherwise known as 16:9, also known as the same format as 99% of all smart phones currently sold.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Please, tell us more about these "elongated" screens...

Otherwise known as 16:9, also known as the same format as 99% of all smart phones currently sold.

The top and bottom bezels make the phones look tall and thin. They do look crap IMO.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
It looks ok to me from the leaked pics that I've seen. I would like to see the larger 5.5" iPhone 6 in person to see how large the bezel really is in relation to the screen.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Irrespective of all this "I don't like A, B, C" the iPhone(s?) will sell.

I've been buying the white/silver for years now think I'm going to go for the space grey one this time.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
I love how people say that everyone will "come around to the design" and the testament to that is Apple selling millions of them. As if it has nothing to do with the fact that you can't get iOS anywhere but on Apple phones and if you want new hardware for iOS you're stuck buying whatever design they put out there, no matter how much you dislike it.

Yeah I'll buy one because I want a bigger iOS device with newer internals. But that doesn't mean I voted for the design. Given the choice I'd rather they had stuck with the 5S design with a biger screen for two more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.