The iPhone as an alarm clock: your experiences?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgpg89, Jul 17, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

On my Macs, I've been using Awaken by Embraceware to wake up every morning. Set your playlist, set the time and have the music fade in. Simple as.

If only it were that simple on the iPhone.

I tried to use the built-in clock app, but there's no fading options and you can't use your own music either. (unless you use ringtones, but those are 30 seconds max, right?)

Then I tried AlarmTunes, P.A.C., Absalt Alarm Clock Pro, etc etc ... But the problem with these is: if you put your phone to sleep, the app isn't going to wake it up.

The third-party alarm apps are only viable options if you decide to charge your phone overnight. I only use my iPhone as an alarm clock when I'm not at home (because when home, I use my Mac) and I'm not taking my charging cable everywhere I go with me, so this is not an option for me.

Any options I'm overseeing here?
    And what are your experience with using the iPhone as an alarm clock?

Is there maybe a work-around to using longer-than-30-sec 'ringtones' to use the built-in clock app ... then my problems would be solved (albeit somewhat unstylish)

2. zigmondski macrumors newbie

Jailbreak and SSH into the file directory and swap one of the existing tones with a custom one. I've got my old Nokia alarm on mine as I have woken up to that for years.

3. ajthomason macrumors 6502

If you jailbreak, you can copy full length songs to the Ringtones folder and they work just fine.

Otherwise, you are limited to 40 seconds which is annoying. I just use the default irritating ringtones to wake me up :D

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

They repeat the ringtones. The alarm app works perfectly fine, just get over your irrational need for a complete song as an alarm and you'll do great. I use an overly loudly normalized recording of "Ding fries are done," the Family Guy version and this never fails to wake me up, even though it's only 30s of it :)

There is one problem with the alarm app and that's if you get a phone call during the alarm, it cancels the alarm. So, if you sleep through your phone call you're boned. Oh and also it uses the same volume setting as the ringer.

5. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

There's no irrational need for a complete song.
    There is a rational need to wake up to a song that fades in.
    And 30s is a bit short for a proper fade-in.

As for the jailbreaking ... won't this slow down my device? (a friend of mine has a jailbroken one and he said his device slowed down terrible since he jailbroke it)

6. zigmondski macrumors newbie

Do a restore before jailbreaking.

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Let's leave the jailbreaking option out ... no other options available?

8. Que macrumors 6502

ummm, how about use what's already there because it's generally only on for a few seconds anyway before it's turned off because being woken up is an unpleasant experience regardless of the music that's playing?

9. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Then I assume you haven't used Awaken, Aurora or Alarm Clock Pro for the Mac.

Waking up is awesome with the right song fading in.

10. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

11. iOrlando macrumors 68000

for me...a 30 second alarm is pretty darn long. if you need an alarm sound longer than 30 seconds something is wrong with you.

all-in-all..the built in alarm works for me.

12. Stunod7 macrumors member

Stunod7

I'm using mine as an alarm clock, which I do charge every night, and it works... okay... I have an alarm app that makes you do a math problem before it will shut off, which is ideal for me because I have a hard time waking up and a hard time doing math. BUT it's useless if I hit the home button to get around the math problem and it never goes off again. I can adjust the snooze length on it but hit the home button, AGAIN, and it snoozes for ever.

The only solution is for Apple to allow backgrounding of applications and letting the users make those choices.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I use the native alarm clock and it wakes me up...after 30 minutes. However, I slowly finding ways to shut it off in my sleep though. I currently shy away from a 3rd party app because they don't run in the background. What if you receive an unexpected call at night and it kicks you out of the app?

14. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Been using the Alarm as my Alarm, using the Warning Alarm Tone, wakes me up fine.

16. Que macrumors 6502

ummm, no i haven't. want to know what's even more "awesome" than waking up to the right song fading in?

sleeping.

17. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

18. mak10 macrumors regular

I use the built in alarm clock with a ringtone every morning, no complaints

19. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

I use the iPhone alarm all the time. With a custom ringtone blaring, I get a super jolt every morning. It has never failed and setting it couldn't be easier.

20. scootaru macrumors 6502

I've overslept too many times because of this.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Man, how long of a fade in do you need? :confused: I'd consider 8-10 seconds a very long fade in.

And if it's faded in at 8 seconds, that gives you 22 more seconds to wake up. If you can't wake up in 22 seconds, you should probably think about going to bed a little earlier.

22. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yeah i hate that....happened to me once... but i can see that this avoids the time you are in a meeting or somwhere and your alarm goes off because you forgot you set it a few days ago

23. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I used a song as my custom ringtone and I also used the same song as my alarm ringtone, so after ignoring the iPhone figuring that it was just someone trying to bug me early in the morning; I switched them to have separate ringtones. I was wondering why my alarm kept malfunctioning.....:p:p:p

24. mstier09 macrumors regular

If you really need a fade in make a custom tone with garageband and build the fade in into the song. It's pretty easy