Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The iPhone 11 Pro Max in MG is my smartphone of choice.

Works great. It’s fast, takes amazing pics, it’s reliable, I enjoy it.

But it costs too much for a 2020 phone. It looks outdated as well.

the Samsung’s are looking like the future.

They got flip phones out there and what not and phones with 100x zoom and like 108MP I think?

Buying an iPhone 11 pro Max today at full price feels...not right given the price and choices

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
You’re comparing last year iPhone with this year Samsung phone. It’s not quite a comparison. I don’t see compelling reason to even buy the 11 Pro Max when the new iPhone lineup will debut in 7 months for equal or slightly higher $ than 2019 iPhones unless buying it from third party at discount.

Smart choice is to save and wait till the debut to be informed of all your choices before making a purchase (if you prefer iPhone). If you’re not in the ecosystem, why not give it a try and return it within the return period if you’re not satisfied?

What if this year iPhones have the same camera specs? Would you switch back or upgrade to it?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Doesn't matter what I think. Do you want one or not?

Not really. I like iPhone bc of imessage
[automerge]1582248399[/automerge]
Not really. I like iPhone bc of imessage
And live photos
[automerge]1582248423[/automerge]
You’re comparing last year iPhone with this year Samsung phone. It’s not quite a comparison. I don’t see compelling reason to even buy the 11 Pro Max when the new iPhone lineup will debut in 7 months for equal or slightly higher $ than 2019 iPhones unless buying it from third party at discount.

Smart choice is to save and wait till the debut to be informed of all your choices before making a purchase (if you prefer iPhone). If you’re not in the ecosystem, why not give it a try and return it within the return period if you’re not satisfied?

What if this year iPhones have the same camera specs? Would you switch back or upgrade to it?

Not sure. I’m stuck with imessage rn tbh

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

They got flip phones out there and what not and phones with 100x zoom and like 108MP I think?

Buying an iPhone 11 pro Max today at full price feels...not right given the price and choices
If you prefer to buy alpha-test hardware with screens that scratch from finger nails and crack in cold weather, nobody is going to care one way or another. Do what you feel you want to do.

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If you prefer to buy alpha-test hardware with screens that scratch from finger nails and crack in cold weather, nobody is going to care one way or another. Do what you feel you want to do.

but don’t you think folding is a hassle?

I’m on my phone so much I’d rather leave it unfolded

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

You're kidding right!? While the design is showing some aging, it still is a good looking device the X series and above that is.

These new Samsungs ARE OK. The back of the phones are so bland and understated and their color selection is mind numbingly boring this year. Nah, the new Galaxy phones are pretty lifeless looking from a design standpoint if you ask me.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
We're right in the middle of a cycle. I got my Pro Max a little while back due to a trade in deal to switch to AT&T.

I would have preferred to wait until September of this year but T-Mobile was doing tower upgrades in my area that are projected to take a while. So pretty much no coverage.

You either think it's worth it, or you don't. No one here can really judge that for you. Nor can they make you choose if you want a Pro Max or a newer Samsung either.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Sounds like the Cool Kids at his/her school are getting new Samsung's and s/he wants to stay in the clique.
I’m not really sure what his/her point is, because when one suggests getting a samsung, he/pushes back. Maybe just indecisive

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Do they though? Not every phone does all screen display properly. Apples only “issue” is the notch, but otherwise the design is pretty modern.

multiple cameras, edge to edge (with no chin!), one of the best quality OLED displays, steel and glass....

I don’t see how it looks outdated. It still looks newer than most phones

just because Apple was ahead of the design curve 2 years ago doesn’t make it suddenly outdated.

Alaxlmartin

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2018
Do they though? Not every phone does all screen display properly. Apples only “issue” is the notch, but otherwise the design is pretty modern.

multiple cameras, edge to edge (with no chin!), one of the best quality OLED displays, steel and glass....

I don’t see how it looks outdated. It still looks newer than most phones

just because Apple was ahead of the design curve 2 years ago doesn’t make it suddenly outdated.

Everyone notices the camera bump on the Iphone 11 Pro Max and you think “Oh they had enough for that nice phone”. With samsung I don’t think any phone is premium.

I have the 11 Pro Max. The notch is there but you get used to it very quick. Also, it is Apples best phone ever. IPad really needs to catch up. Matte glass gives it a great finish.
[automerge]1582264149[/automerge]

Those flip phones are 2K and break

Reactions: Bethanie21

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
It looks outdated as well.
Do you mean it aesthetically looks outdated?

If so, maybe you shouldn't care so much about how the iPhone looks if you are happy with the experience of it.

Besides, looks are so subjective anyways. I still think the iPhone 4s is the best looking phone.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Everyone notices the camera bump on the Iphone 11 Pro Max and you think “Oh they had enough for that nice phone”.

My advice is not to worry what others think about their phones. Maybe I see my iPhone (SE) more as a tool than a show-and-tell toy, but I guess it is now a status symbol.

I remember when I sold my iPhone 6s Plus for an SE, many friends/coworkers saw my new iPhone and started asking my why I "downgraded" my phone, although I didn't see it that way. I enjoyed the experience of the SE a lot more than the much larger 6s Plus and thought of the SE purchase as an upgrade.

Reactions: oVerboost

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012

Nah i would wait for the iPhone 13. There is always something better around the corner.

Reactions: Valbunny
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.