The laptop MBP should have been

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by depulse, Feb 12, 2009.

1. depulse macrumors member

2. svndmvn Guest

is this really the first one? I thought Alienware had one, Dell was teasing with one though I suppose it's not released yet, and probably Lenovo and some others have something alike or are working on it. Apple is just more about mobility.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Because $3999 is like $1999-$2799

It has the slowest Quad available (2.1ghz), which in day to day tasks will get beaten by the MBP, and it's so thick and heavy it might as well be a desktop. The only decent thing is its graphics and dual Firewire chipsets (although only 400).

Hell it can't even drive over 1920 x 1200 on an external display.

4. Ploki macrumors 68000

5. depulse thread starter macrumors member

Well, in good old Apple style the price starts at 3999, you can then add as much as you want:

A 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme for 300

8GB of 1066MHz DDR3 for 800

Dual ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 - Crossfire for 350

etc

Actually, looking at this laptop, Apple's :apple: prices aren't that bad.

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

That thing is ugly! :eek:

Does it have casters underneath?

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Looks overpriced... they really soak you on the external drives if you order one.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You can also configure the HP HDX 18" and the HDX 16" laptops with quad chips. Much better deal than this monster.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

[​IMG]

1) It looks disgusting, i'd be embarassed to use something like that in public, that design was in style for Windows 3.1

2) Its made from plastic and doesn't have a sexy aluminium unibody design

3) It runs Windows / Linux, and not Apple OS X

4) The CPU is far slower than the one in the MBP, its only got a 2.1Ghz clock speed, ok so its quad core, that means nothing unless your using Multi Core apps, and a Multi Core O/S which oh let me think hardly exist!! So basically its going to run hotter, slowing you down even more to about 1.8Ghz and waste your energy bill doing...nothing.
    People should do their homework before jumping into bed with Quad Core, the future is Mobile i7 which is Dual Core, not some stupid archaic Penryn design.

5) This laptop is far more expensive than the Macbook Pro, it starts at $3999 and thats without any extras, where as the Macbook Pro starts at $1999, yes thats $2000 cheaper!! You could get 2 Macbook Pros for 1 of these!

6) The Macbook Pro has dual graphics cards as standard, and when Snow Leopard comes out with Hybrid SLI, Hybrid SLI and Open CL support its going to completely run circles around this lame quad core brick.

7) The Macbook Pro is made by Apple, so you get Apples guaranteed warranty, service and repair systems at your disposal, from home collection, in store drop in, and free Genius appointments. Do Diablo offer this? No you have to pay for some stupid 'Raincare'

8) The Macbook Pro has an iSight camera which is useful for business meetings among other things, this does not.

9) The Macbook Pro has a sweet chicklet keyboard, this does not.

10) The Macbook Pro has a multitouch silky smooth glass trackpad, this has some lame old style traditional touchpad. I could never go back to using one of those, the Macbook multitouch ones are just so much better.

11) The Macbook Pro is an inch thick, this, clearly, is not.

12) The Macbook Pro has a firewire 800 port, which is useful for real professionals, this does not.

13) The Macbook Pro has a Magsafe Power Connection because it would be really bad if someone tripped over your cable and dragged your whole laptop onto the floor, which has happened to me at work more than once, however this, does not.

14) The Macbook Pro has an external battery monitor, so you can see how full your battery is without turning your computer on, and this doesn't.

15) The Macbook Pro has an infra-red port for a remote presentation/movie/tv control or connection with mobile phone, this does not.

10. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

Good Work...
    thanks for answer the question mate....:p

11. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Yuck.

Too big and monstrous.

Before I decided to change platforms to apple and sit on my butt waiting around for the 17" to be delivered, I looked at the Lenovo W700. Similar specs to the 17" and I almost bought one but the deal killer for me was the size, the footprint, and weight were way too big.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

If I was to think of a gas powered laptop that I can startup like I do a lawn mower then this would be the laptop I would be seeing.

13. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I would much rather use a iMac as a portable than that big ugly piece of warm and loud plastic.

It's not, on any level, comparable to the Macbook Pro. That's just wrong.

14. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

That is absolutely hideous.

Looking at it made me pull a weird face.

15. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Some reason you pointed out are debatable, but I agree. Big, ugly, and expensive! :O

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Whilst I agree with you on everything else, I must point out that in fairness the Diablo can be configured dual Crossfire 3870 cards which run circles around the 9600, and even with Sli which may or may not appear in Snow Leopard, the Crossfire 3870's is still worlds faster. In fact even with the single 3870 its still faster.

Of course its a moot point tbh since the Diablo costs $2k more.

17. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

4 kilos, that´s all I can say. It´s a desktop you can fold in two

18. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

A lawnmower running on Windows? Now that sounds safe! ;)

It looks like a decent laptop, but yes, the design is not the best, and it's huge.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

WTF is that thing??

I think that tank looks like something from the 1992s when laptops were considered a briefcase or what not.

A simple 2.0 GHz MacBook will go around in process power around this piece of tile. Hell, a Mac Mini would also do more stuff than that thing.

I bet its like 10 lbs in weight. Ugh, imagine the ack in the back of carrying this brick.

Edit: Added something to this post to describe how that laptop looks to me:

Attached Files:

20. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

It looks like a laptop from the early nineties... ugh

21. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Yea, at least my PBG4 still looks new, that thing looks like its from the 90's

22. finalcut macrumors 6502

23. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

IT'S A TANK!!!:eek:

But, it will look good with my mid 80's cell phone.

24. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I'd never buy that... it's way too chunky and ugly! :p makes the 17" MBP look like a MBA!