Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am excited about the last of us 2 and I will buy it as soon as it comes out. It‘s one of the games that makes the PS4 better than anything else out there.

Reactions: BlankStar

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What’s interesting about the ‘Last of us 2’ release in June, is this is not the ‘prime time‘ for a game to release during summer months, which is considered ‘off-season’ for gaming, so I’m curious to see how this would compare in sales see if they released this game in October or even November.

So I’m actually surprised to see Naughty dog release this in June, when they could’ve pushed for September or beyond, but would’ve directly competed against Cyberpunk. Either way, the LOU2 will be such a major contender for game of the year, that it really doesn’t make a difference which month it releases to be successful. Either way, I am kind of surprised not to see much marketing right now, considering we’re about seven weeks or so away from the launch.

I think the distinct advantage the LOU2 has with the pandemic with almost every worldwide event being either moved/canceled, Vacations/outings rescheduled, this gives gamers something to do during the summer months.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Only reason we're seeing a June release I because of those leaks/spoilers that got out. Can't imagine they paid everyone back their preorder, deleted the game in the store, just for it to show up again with a release date that's three weeks later...

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Leaks are definitely the reason for the June release. I was really excited about TLOU2. I was bad, and read everything on the leaks. After all the keywords used about the leaks... I had to look... LOL... Not saying I'm not buying it, but after reading all the spoilers, I'm going to wait for the reviews. If the reviews are close to what I've read... it's a "No" for me. Hope the spoilers are wrong... I loved the 1st TLOU.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
ugh, is there no way in tricking the PS4 that we're the 19th already? So frustrating to know the game is installed and watching that countdown clock...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
ugh, is there no way in tricking the PS4 that we're the 19th already? So frustrating to know the game is installed and watching that countdown clock...

Yeah, well, uhh, looks Like I beat you to it already. Amazon is delivering my copy tomorrow early (It’s already at my local hub now) Slated for a afternoon-ish delivery. Unless something prevails like they hold my copy for another day, I’ll have it over 24 hours in advance.😁 Apparently I’m not the only one, as there has been other gamers where they received their copies of previous games {RDR2 this happened} early in the past from Amazon. You‘d think Amazon would have tighter control tolerances on things like this, especially given they’re contracted to not allow to release it until the day of.

[I think the error is, if you’re Prime member, somehow your shipping is expedited, where they ‘push’ the order quicker out the door, and that’s where the mistake is made with the carrier advancing the copy as quickly as possible.]

• Love

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I still need to finish part 1 (second playthrough). Made it to „Winter“ last night. So good!!

I did that last week, I forgot how good this game is. The way their relationship evolves and grows....

@Relentless Power I'm glad for you. Hope they deliver it early. A big webshop here shipped the games three days early due to an error in their system. This is absolutely the last time ever I'm pre-ordering something digital... Final Fantasy 7 Remake was delivered more than a week before the release. Going to cancel my Cyberpunk digital preorder and order the physical copy.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I will probably finish part 1 some time next week. I only get to play for maybe an hour a night, if at all. Then I will probably take a break for a few days before I start part 2. Don’t want to oversaturate...

I will probably also have to take a break from this thread for a while, too. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I didn’t Receive it a day earlier as I thought I would, as it was held at my carrier. My guess is it just advanced quickly to a local depot, and then indicated in their system not to deliver until the ‘day of’.

But nonetheless..... A lot of late nights coming.😁
FE43B15B-8CF5-44E0-B95E-4FD02ED8A826.jpeg

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I’m about 7 hours in and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I have no idea why the mob is going after this story. I’m having a blast. Naughty Dog delivered yet again.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I’m about 7 hours in and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I have no idea why the mob is going after this story. I’m having a blast. Naughty Dog delivered yet again.

Same here, I'm not seeing why so many players are ripping the game apart. I'm loving the graphics, the gameplay, the cleaner interface, the nice balance between sitting all relax learning about the characters and story and between sitting on the edge of your seat because you're in the dark and hear screams and clicks all around you.

I'll have to wait to finish it before I can give it a final score, but so far it's living up my expectations.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Same here, I'm not seeing why so many players are ripping the game apart. I'm loving the graphics, the gameplay, the cleaner interface, the nice balance between sitting all relax learning about the characters and story and between sitting on the edge of your seat because you're in the dark and hear screams and clicks all around you.

I'll have to wait to finish it before I can give it a final score, but so far it's living up my expectations.

I’ve been carefully skimming people’s spoiler free thoughts and it honestly sounds like it’s getting the Star Wars treatment. Fans had such high expectations and they didn’t get the story or ending that they wanted.

Those are the reasonable takes. There is also some definite review bombing by trolls.

I’m up to 12 hours of play now and still am loving it, but I also rarely have an issue with how a director/producer/writer chooses to tell a story. For example, I liked GoT Season 8 and the Star Wars Sequel trilogy while also recognizing they weren’t perfect. Although I did hate the Defending Jacob finale on ATV+ if you’ve seen that, so I can draw a line if I have to lol.

Last edited:

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm almost done with my 1st playthrough and I've enjoyed every second of the story and gameplay. I don't understand the backlash its getting or care about it honestly, the creator of the game decided thats the story they wanted to tell and I understand and accept it...the world they created was built on brutality.

Reactions: sman789

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I've been watching it being played on Twitch, so I can see a variety of views as they play it.

I think the one I found most interesting was Anne Munition, who took a break from playing it. She had a clear investment based on the first story, and it heavily impacted her view of the controversial decision made by Naughty Dog.

So I can see why some people are divided.

Last edited:

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
What I've seen from this game makes it look like the levels are really just nicely dressed strictly linear affairs and exploration/free roaming is completely separated from (staged) encounters. I've not seen much in the way of puzzles either, only ones that make use of the immediate surroundings (move trashcan to climb on roof type stuff).

Is that really all there is to it? Never played one of these titles but I did play a bit of UC4 and think I've spotted a ton of familiar mechanics in this one. Only the mood seems to be different.

Story wise the flashback to that visit to the Dinosaur museum is on another level IMO. Even for someone unfamiliar with the characters that stands out by a landmile among the cinematics I've seen. I think I understand why fans wanted a continuation of these two as opposed to the story they got.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
What I've seen from this game makes it look like the levels are really just nicely dressed strictly linear affairs and exploration/free roaming is completely separated from (staged) encounters. I've not seen much in the way of puzzles either, only ones that make use of the immediate surroundings (move trashcan to climb on roof type stuff).

Is that really all there is to it? Never played one of these titles but I did play a bit of UC4 and think I've spotted a ton of familiar mechanics in this one. Only the mood seems to be different.

Story wise the flashback to that visit to the Dinosaur museum is on another level IMO. Even for someone unfamiliar with the characters that stands out by a landmile among the cinematics I've seen. I think I understand why fans wanted a continuation of these two as opposed to the story they got.
It's pretty much Naughty Dog's modus operandi for the past decade+. Exciting set pieces and great stories but somewhat robotic gameplay. I finished the game and though it was fantastic. Some of the best level design and enemy battles from ND.

I avoided spoilers, reviews and didn't watch any gameplay. The first few trailers we're enough to warrant the purchase for me. The leak of the game's story made it an easy target for all the vitriol it's getting.

@th0masp That scene hit me hard. There's a few in the game that got my eyes watery.

Reactions: th0masp

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I think I’ve gotten to the primary controversial point now, and while it was pretty unexpected and a little jarring, I think it’s a pretty creative plot twist. Naughty Dog pulled it off well and I don’t think the story telling has suffered.

We’ll see what the ending has in store. I think I’m about 10ish hours away.

I’ve always found it great and kind of funny that ND puts out trailers that put ideas in our heads of how the story will go but then tells a completely different story with the game. They’ve done this a few times now.

Last edited:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I just started Seattle Day 3, haven't had a lot of time to game since the game got released, but I must say that I like the game a lot so far. I don't mind that absence of big puzzles, it's just a post-apocalyptic city, not a hidden Inca temple.

Love the atmosphere a lot, I only play with over-ear headphones on a volume level where my girlfriend says, "don't come whining when you're deaf in a couple of years" and that makes me immerse so much more. Imagine getting these graphics in VR... I'm gonna need diapers to play TLoU3 on the PSVR2 ;-)

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I just finished the game last night. The game was long, but I like to look at every corner to collect things. LOL The game didn't suck... but I won't be replaying this game like I did with the first TLOU game. Maybe I'll say more when this thread becomes more spoiler free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.