Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
the game won't be the same if it doesn't have Ellie. there really shouldn't have been a part 2.... and if they had it then it should have been a different cast. I think the reason people hate this game so much is because of the cast

I must say I really enjoyed part two and playing with Abby. I love how they show us that every story has two sides and that there are different points of view on an event. Awesome game.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
The way she is introduced and then what she does right after makes it really really hard to like her. If her 30-60 minute in decision was the end of the game and not after being rescued. I feel way less people would hate her.

the super random ending just to make the fight happen

I hate the Asian boy more than anything else. Also you must understand people hate being called transphobic for hating that character. He literally gets half the characters in the game killed by his stupidity.

yet I get why people hate the game. It’s just such a bad story compared to the 1st one without many improvements. It’s basically season 1 of walking dead vs season 7. Let’s be depressing just to be depressing

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Im really sensitive to SJW embedded stuff and genuinely didnt understand the hate for this game

There is OF COURSE a heart breaking situation that sets up the plot for the entire game, which is by its very nature polarizing, but the gameplay and visuals were spectacular and I felt myself immersed in the plot as well.

I also had that aspect spoiled for me, by googling 'why is this game hated so much' and the google answer was NO SPOILERS prefaced then explains exactly what happens. I had managed to stay away from spoilers all year otherwise... go figure. BUT, imo, I think knowing about this plot point in advance lessens the blow and disappointment from attachment. But it still hit me like a bag of bricks when it happened. It was SOOOO brutal.

I also played TLOU Remastered in 2016 when I got my Ps4 pro for one play through, and really enjoyed the game but wasn't as much of a fanboy as perhaps some others that were let down and raging on this one.

Had to keep playing this game until I beat it, and switching to something else

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Same here, didn't understand all the hate. I loved the fact that we get to see the story from a whole other perspective. And not as "romantic" as the first game, a more harsh cold hard truth.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Same here, didn't understand all the hate. I loved the fact that we get to see the story from a whole other perspective. And not as "romantic" as the first game, a more harsh cold hard truth.

thats like saying why can’t see emperor palatines point of view or Sauron’s reasoning maybe he isn’t evil :)

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
The empire did nothing wrong! :p

well not everyone on the Death Star deserved to die. Pretty sure it probably had a daycare and nurses in that place.

i mean you can always try to put it in another persons point of view. The English who settled America are pretty evil. They killed off most the natives in multiple of messed up ways. I don’t see how the natives can at all be the bad guys in that. Or how a huge portion of the world is Christian. They didn’t give Africans and Latin America much of a choice. Accept Jesus or die

everything else guess you can play the well what was Germany’s point of view in WW2 or Japans?

i just rather not play the game where I am trying to kill the nazis and it goes well. Hey you saved a Nazi now look at their point of view.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Comparing Abby with a nazi ain't fair ;-)
She's going after the guy who killed her father who was trying to save mankind from the disease... I feel that's a realistic other point of view and it doesn't make her pure evil.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Think there will be a TLoU3? Maybe different characters but the same world/setting?
Well Ellie has to find her partner and they have a child so there's alot of scope to continue the story. We meet Ellie who is older like Joel in Part 2, moving it on to the next generation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So after playing TLOU2 [and I mean exploring every possible facet in this game and having a full, complete understanding of the first story followed to Part #2], I can honestly say this is thee best game I’ve ever played, I would rank it #1 in my top three best games of all time. Not because of just the storyline, which is good, but the gameplay mechanics were executed perfectly, from crafting simplicity, toggling weapons, stealth mode, player movement animation, voiceover/lip-synching was spot on and I don’t think I encountered one glitch in this game, considering Naughty Dog was working on a ~12 hour work schedule for two weeks prior to the June release.

What surprised me most about this game, once you thought it was over, it wasn’t and there was more to be told from a Secondary character standpoint on different levels. But seriously, it was the perfect combination of dealing with action, you can access different routes to various checkpoints in the game, ect.

To me, I could sit here and write pages about this game, but I won’t for the sake of not releasing any ‘major plot points’ for those who have not played this, but this is what gaming is all about, Naughty Dog set the bar so high, other developers need to take a serious look at their craft and realize what it takes to put out this type of gaming experience that we deserve in this era of major titles. The only other developer that I would rank at their level, would be Rockstar.

On Closing note, I could not get over how big Abby’s arms are in this game, seriously, she’s built like Linda Hamilton from Terminator 2: Judgment day. (Heck, she even runs like her.)

{Major props to Neil Druckman and Halley Gross for Genius minds working together to produce such an amazing experience for the gamer}

10/10

Edit:

I spent a total of ~30 hours to complete the game in its entirety. I do believe they will be a ‘Part 3’, but at the very earliest you would see this game would probably be near 2030, assuming they don’t have any other projects releasing prior.

Last edited:

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Naughty Dog is working on a new project (confirmed) but we'll have to wait to learn what it is, but I loved the game too. It's a masterpiece.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Naughty Dog is working on a new project (confirmed) but we'll have to wait to learn what it is, but I loved the game too. It's a masterpiece.

I don’t care if it’s about killer clowns chasing unicorns, if Naughty Dog puts this this type of craftsmanship continuously as they have been with the Uncharted Series and The Last Of Us 1/2, I’ll buy it no matter what.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I don’t care if it’s about killer clowns chasing unicorns, if Naughty Dog puts this this type of craftsmanship continuously as they have been with the Uncharted Series and The Last Of Us 1/2, I’ll buy it no matter what.

I LOVE the uncharted series

remastered 1-3 and 4 in succession was a brilliant experience

• Love
Reactions: BlankStar

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks Tomb Raider remake trilogy is better than Uncharted?

I don’t know Last of us 2 and uncharted felt more like watching a movie than playing a game. I liked that Tomb Raider is more like Metroid/Castlevania.

It is crazy how divisive Last of us 2 is. when I read some people say best game ever. It’s like did I play the same game.

also anyone play Days gone basically same gameplay as Last of us and is free if you have ps5

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I only played the first Tomb Raider of the reboot trilogy. I enjoyed it, but I liked Uncharted a lot more. The story and characters were far more engaging to me. Better characters, better writing.

TLOU 1 and 2 are pretty much the best gaming has to offer these days, if you ask me. On a technical and on a story-telling level, they are above the rest. The only games that have sparked similarly strong emotions in me are the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider currently:

The graphics are by far the most compelling aspect of this game, the climbing and scaling buildings/wall/cliffs is executed just right, the camera angles are also very well done.

However, the character models are less polished, looks ‘un-finished’ and the combat is sub par at best.

In other words:

Square Enix/Eidos made a solid game, and I’m generally not complaining, but I’m also very particular after playing LOUS2 Naughty Dog was able to produce. This (ROTR) doesn’t even touch the level of detail, intricate storyline or overall re-playability that the Uncharted or Last Of Us was able to execute.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
This thread has been quiet for a while (my apologies for dredging it back up?) but I came across more info about the HBO series.

As for the cast, here's what I found:
Pedro Pascal as Joel.
Bella Ramsey as Ellie.
Gabriel Luna as Tommy.

Supposedly Druckmann stated that some of the lines in the show will be pulled directly from the game script. Filming beginning in July of this year and ending June 2022 (of course I imagine COVID will play a part in how that timeframe holds up). Release date could pretty much be anyone's guess, but there are some possibilities towards the end of the Rotten Tomatoes article I'm linking below.

My thoughts...I'm totally interested! Looking forward to seeing how Pascal, Ramsey, and Luna portray their characters! Gustavo Santaolalla is doing the music for the show, so that's already a guaranteed thumbs up in my opinion!

More info: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/everything-we-know-about-the-last-of-us-hbo-series/

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I’m going to make a controversial statement, so here goes: I just finished playing Days Gone (got it free with PS Plus) and wow this is the best zombie game I’ve played. Better than Last of Us and Resident Evil series. The gameplay and combat are fantastic, the story is solid, character development is uneven and maybe the weakest part but overall what an enjoyable game. And those hordes… nothing gets my heart pounding like preparing to throw in a bunch of molotovs on a sleeping horde and running and gunning my way in terror as I flee. I’m so sad Sony canned Days Gone 2 and are moving the devs to support another uncharted title.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I’m going to make a controversial statement, so here goes: I just finished playing Days Gone (got it free with PS Plus) and wow this is the best zombie game I’ve played. Better than Last of Us and Resident Evil series. The gameplay and combat are fantastic, the story is solid, character development is uneven and maybe the weakest part but overall what an enjoyable game. And those hordes… nothing gets my heart pounding like preparing to throw in a bunch of molotovs on a sleeping horde and running and gunning my way in terror as I flee. I’m so sad Sony canned Days Gone 2 and are moving the devs to support another uncharted title.
That’s definitely a hot take.

Is Uncharted 5 confirmed? I was kind of hoping for a new IP from Naughty Dog. I’m ready to move on from Uncharted. That said, I’d be all over another title if it came out.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I am a big fan of the Last of Us series. Last of Us 2 is VERY good but I still enjoy the first game more. I know Naughty Dog is suppose to be working on the multiplayer mode Factions that has yet to be released. I also heard there is talks of a Last of Us 1 remake for PS5 but I feel like that is unneeded. Haven't heard word on an Uncharted 5 but it would make sense given there is an Uncharted movie coming out next year starring Tom Holland AKA Spider Man from the MCU.

Reactions: Venderious
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.