Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
You're only proving my point at the beginning of the thread more. You're going off topic just to try to make "got ya" posts.

And your post is.. on topic? Sorry, wasn't aware you had a point. Yes, you're absolutely right, as always...

And what else is there to talk about? The game was hyped as a AAA PC title, not coming to Mac and now that it's out it's terrible.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Can you please link to the post where somebody holds up this title as the reason Mac gaming sucks?

Can you please state the purpose of your request? I'm talking about my own experience from various discussions around this forum. I'm not going to spend my time on irrelevant details to prove something but you're welcome to search for yourself if you want to dig up old posts.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Bad releases like one and done MacOS Resident Evil Village that suffers from Apple ID bug that prevents the game from launching, audio sync, crashing, controller, mouse and keyboard, etc. issues? It's not realistic to wait forever for perfection vs frequent improvement updates like most games.

None of that is true.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
And my statement remains true. THAT was an issue that's no longer an issue.

To my knowledge, none of the other issues he mentions is one.

That was a response to someone claiming PC game launch releases are bad because of issues and implying Mac is better.

And, to your knowledge you haven't read the reviews on Mac app store since that's where the issues are taken from. It's not an exhaustive list since there are others like frame drop with flashlight use, etc.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/resident-evil-village/id1640627334?mt=12

I checked out Gollum and it's not that bad. Better graphics and story than my experience with Baldur's Gate III.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If you can afford a $5K PC with 4090 I'm you can dig in your sofa to come up with $37.49 for Gollum.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
If you can afford a $5K PC with 4090 I'm you can dig in your sofa to come up with $37.49 for Gollum.
Maybe I don’t want to buy it?! Why is this so shocking and you mocking my purchasing decisions. I’m playing Zelda right now. Not buying anything for a while.

Reactions: Irishman

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
We like hearing you say you're going to switch from $5K 4090 PC to console. Plus, you don't have to keep the game since you can refund within 14 days and less than 2 hours of gameplay.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
We like hearing you say you're going to switch from $5K 4090 PC to console. Plus, you don't have to keep the game since you can refund within 14 days and less than 2 hours of gameplay.
Yeah okay I’m going to stop playing a game I’m really enjoying to buy a game to test it out. It’s not my job. I’m not digital foundry. I have no interest in the game at all anyway.

Reactions: Homy and Irishman

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
No one as far as I can tell no one hates Mac Gaming or PC gaming. Critiques are leveled based on the relative platforms capabilities and relative hardware pricing. If you had talked to me in the 90s I was then working hard to show that Macs were competitive for gaming, but I gained a realization after many examples and comparisons I personally made on hardware I owned, that the way most games were developed and the because Macs were more expensive, they: Macs could never be truly competitive for just gaming. Yet I still own a Mac (see signature) and use it for most of my daily computing, I prefer the MacOS, and at some level it bugs me that I‘m doing work with Unreal Engine on my PC because I already owned it for gaming, and had the graphic card, and 4k monitor, when I decided to jump into creating gaming environments. 🤔

In a perfect world where people truly wouldn’t care about gaming platforms we wouldn’t have some self-proclaimed profets around here posting glorified lists of all the goodies on the PC side in the name of being realists while they’re proactive about negative Mac gaming news and take every opportunity to diminish and ridicule every positive news and new Mac title and take cheap shots at not only Apple and Mac but other forum members too (a classic narcissistic behavior). That would also spare themselves the disillusionment about their beloved titles and platform and they wouldn’t have to direct their juvenile frustration at Mac gamers and shoot the messenger when one title after another on their list proves to be a huge disappointment even on a top-tier gaming PC, performance- or content-wise. Then there wouldn’t be any need for debunking their myths with threads like this.

Imagine the disappointment if I had followed their advice and bought a PC rig to play The Last of US, SW Jedi: Survivor, Redfall and now LoTR: Gollum at release, just to mention a few. And they keep saying it’s just one game and it will be fixed while at the same time they brag about day-and date releases. Now who needs to be more realistic? Mac gamers who know all about their gaming limitations or PC gamers who glorify titles which turn out to be a hot mess time after time? At the same time more and more PC gamers are turning to consoles and the whole PC gaming community is all fed up. We should thank Capcom/Apple that RE Village on Mac had some bugs so people have something to laugh about. Otherwise I don’t know what could amuse them and their empty lives since Mac has so few AAA titles and all the new releases are already old and late. Strange no one suddenly is laughing at buggy PC releases. I mean people could have lot more fun doing that instead considering the larger amount of buggy and failed releases there are on PC compared to Mac.

As I said this was supposed to be a simple factual thread. People have used this game and absence of it on Mac together with other titles as signs/proof of the death of Mac gaming and I’m now presenting the result, just like I did with The Last of US, SW Jedi: Survivor and Redfall in different discussions. Obviously such titles take time to launch so people who haven’t read the discussions and seen the mention of these games have a harder time to understand the purpose and connection.

People say I only focus on the bad titles/releases, I say why not? Isn’t that suddenly a part of the realism of PC gaming? Many others here love to focus on all the shortcomings of Mac and even Mac gamers as human beings (again really showing off that narcissism) instead of the positive news so why not turn the tables a bit? After all it’s just facts and being realistic. It's also a misconception. I'm actually focusing on games that PC gamers themselves hype as prime AAA titles coming to PC and not Mac, as proof of the death of Mac gaming. I'm just following up PC gamers' claims. Yet another good reason why people should actually wait and test the upcoming PC titles before bragging about all the titles Mac gamers don't have, to avoid the embarrassment.

Speaking of "focusing only on the bad titles" RE Village Mac had one issue with keyboard and mouse which was fixed several months ago and the only thing people here keep talking about is that one issue and RE 4 not being ported to Mac in almost every single post. Same people claim it was supposedly Apple’s fault and Capcom is ”still pissed off” that Apple was slow at fixing a patch but they also gladly forget all the issues the PC version of RE Village had, like performance issues, stuttering and crashes and how long it took to fix those. Even PC gamers had problem with bad mouse aim. Just a couple of weeks before the Mac release in Oct 2022 Capcom released an update for PC that broke the game totally at launch, just before the release of the Winters’ Expansion. A Steam user fixed a solution while waiting for a fix but people still couldn’t play the DLCs. That time despite being in total control and Apple out of the picture it also took about 5 weeks before they could fix it with a new patch, judging by the patch history and news reports, but that’s not something people like to mention here when they want to have a laugh at Apple in the mud and patronize Mac gamers.

It was funny when someone created a thread with the misleading title ”Is gaming officially dead on Macs?” just because they couldn’t play some of their favorite Blizzard titles and the next day Saber announced Snowrunner for Mac with MetalFX. Then they announced Fort solis and Layers of Fear on UE 5 with MetalFX, then Hideo Kojima at Apple and then Dragonheir with MetalFX. Despite these events and No Man’s Sky, Grid Legends and The Medium coming suddenly all realism is thrown out of the window and people expect to see all the latest AAA games on Mac, a platform having only 2.5% share on Steam. Ethosik described it well, ”Devs aren't treating us Windows gamers with enough respect so it shouldn't shock people that they don't care about Macs either. If they treat us Windows gamers this bad, why do people get so shocked repeatedly about just ignoring macOS entirely?”.

People also blame Mac games like RE Village for being old, but are quick to point out the absence of even older games like Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2 on Mac. So according to that logic we should never have those old games on Mac either. They talk about compromises and late releases on Mac and brag about day-and-date releases on PC but it’s all fine when they have to wait months for solid patches and fixes when their favorite game turns out to be garbage. Suddenly that’s not compromising and not a part of the realism in the PC gaming world, because there is always another upcoming title that hopefully will be good but could as well be the next failed release. It’s a kind of hypocrisy we could all live without.

Last edited:

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I think people are focusing on the wrong thing here.
This game is probably one of the worst efforts, in every regard, in recent gaming history. That's truly an achievement, given some of the horrors that are dumped on to market these days.
I'm genuinely impressed that the team delayed this game for so long, and it's still as horrific as it is. Every single person working on this project must have been the laziest, or poorest example, of their profession.

It's garbage on all platforms. Full of bugs, with the graphics of a PS2 game remastered for PS3.
You can argue about mac gaming (lol) all you want, but never forget that people were actually paid money to produce something of such low quality. The company had no concept of shame, and released it to market for people to buy. Magnificent.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In a perfect world where people truly wouldn’t care about gaming platforms we wouldn’t have some self-proclaimed profets around here posting glorified lists of all the goodies on the PC side in the name of being realists while they’re proactive about negative Mac gaming news and take every opportunity to diminish and ridicule every positive news and new Mac title and take cheap shots at not only Apple and Mac but other forum members too (a classic narcissistic behavior). That would also spare themselves the disillusionment about their beloved titles and platform and they wouldn’t have to direct their juvenile frustration at Mac gamers and shoot the messenger when one title after another on their list proves to be a huge disappointment even on a top-tier gaming PC, performance- or content-wise. Then there wouldn’t be any need for debunking their myths with threads like this.

Imagine the disappointment if I had followed their advice and bought a PC rig to play The Last of US, SW Jedi: Survivor, Redfall and now LoTR: Gollum at release, just to mention a few. And they keep saying it’s just one game and it will be fixed while at the same time they brag about day-and date releases. Now who needs to be more realistic? Mac gamers who know all about their gaming limitations or PC gamers who glorify titles which turn out to be a hot mess time after time? At the same time more and more PC gamers are turning to consoles and the whole PC gaming community is all fed up. We should thank Capcom/Apple that RE Village on Mac had some bugs so people have something to laugh about. Otherwise I don’t know what could amuse them and their empty lives since Mac has so few AAA titles and all the new releases are already old and late. Strange no one suddenly is laughing at buggy PC releases. I mean people could have lot more fun doing that instead considering the larger amount of buggy and failed releases there are on PC compared to Mac.

As I said this was supposed to be a simple factual thread. People have used this game and absence of it on Mac together with other titles as signs/proof of the death of Mac gaming and I’m now presenting the result, just like I did with The Last of US, SW Jedi: Survivor and Redfall in different discussions. Obviously such titles take time to launch so people who haven’t read the discussions and seen the mention of these games have a harder time to understand the purpose and connection.

People say I only focus on the bad titles/releases, I say why not? Isn’t that suddenly a part of the realism of PC gaming? Many others here love to focus on all the shortcomings of Mac and even Mac gamers as human beings (again really showing off that narcissism) instead of the positive news so why not turn the tables a bit? After all it’s just facts and being realistic. It's also a misconception. I'm actually focusing on games that PC gamers themselves hype as prime AAA titles coming to PC and not Mac, as proof of the death of Mac gaming. I'm just following up PC gamers' claims. Yet another good reason why people should actually wait and test the upcoming PC titles before bragging about all the titles Mac gamers don't have, to avoid the embarrassment.

Speaking of "focusing only on the bad titles" RE Village Mac had one issue with keyboard and mouse which was fixed several months ago and the only thing people here keep talking about is that one issue and RE 4 not being ported to Mac in almost every single post. Same people claim it was supposedly Apple’s fault and Capcom is ”still pissed off” that Apple was slow at fixing a patch but they also gladly forget all the issues the PC version of RE Village had, like performance issues, stuttering and crashes and how long it took to fix those. Even PC gamers had problem with bad mouse aim. Just a couple of weeks before the Mac release in Oct 2022 Capcom released an update for PC that broke the game totally at launch, just before the release of the Winters’ Expansion. A Steam user fixed a solution while waiting for a fix but people still couldn’t play the DLCs. That time despite being in total control and Apple out of the picture it also took about 5 weeks before they could fix it with a new patch, judging by the patch history and news reports, but that’s not something people like to mention here when they want to have a laugh at Apple in the mud and patronize Mac gamers.

It was funny when someone created a thread with the misleading title ”Is gaming officially dead on Macs?” just because they couldn’t play some of their favorite Blizzard titles and the next day Saber announced Snowrunner for Mac with MetalFX. Then they announced Fort solis and Layers of Fear on UE 5 with MetalFX, then Hideo Kojima at Apple and then Dragonheir with MetalFX. Despite these events and No Man’s Sky, Grid Legends and The Medium coming suddenly all realism is thrown out of the window and people expect to see all the latest AAA games on Mac, a platform having only 2.5% share on Steam. Ethosik described it well, ”Devs aren't treating us Windows gamers with enough respect so it shouldn't shock people that they don't care about Macs either. If they treat us Windows gamers this bad, why do people get so shocked repeatedly about just ignoring macOS entirely?”.

People also blame Mac games like RE Village for being old, but are quick to point out the absence of even older games like Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2 on Mac. So according to that logic we should never have those old games on Mac either. They talk about compromises and late releases on Mac and brag about day-and-date releases on PC but it’s all fine when they have to wait months for solid patches and fixes when their favorite game turns out to be garbage. Suddenly that’s not compromising and not a part of the realism in the PC gaming world, because there is always another upcoming title that hopefully will be good but could as well be the next failed release. It’s a kind of hypocrisy we could all live without.
I think you are bothered by comments such as Mac gaming "sucks" and is "dead". And since this is a Mac site, I don’t think you should have to put up with those kinds of comments as a way of picking on people who like their Macs for gaming. But I also think that “Mac gaming is dead” could be a legitimate perspective, it just does not, should not be used continuously as a whip.

My suggestion for anyone who wants to severely critic Mac hardware when it comes to gaming, to give the people who feel positively about Mac gaming a break. Yes, don’t candy coat your critics but how about keepimg your comments factual, and lay off the harsh words and insults.

That said, for myself, I gave up on Mac gaming in 2016 when I upgraded to my latest MBP, paid, $2000 for integrated graphics and it underperformed, at the time a $1000 home built PC With a dedicated graphic program card in it. Those were the facts and I felt the Mac was no longer competitive for gaming. MacOS conversions would come out after long delays, and in some cases the Mac version would be lacking features, the PC version had. So the bottom line is, I still love my MBP, I just don’t play games on it.

I also think it’s a mistake to bad mouth a PC game when a sucky one comes out as a counter attack or defacto defense as to why Macs might be better for gaming or not so bad for gaming. If a game comes out cross platform, the way they are made, it probably sucks across all platforms it runs on. And there are many more PC releases, and yes a good many of them suck. As a rule when I scroll down my Steam queue, the list of highlighted games for that day, most of them are PC, and on average, I put 80% of them on ignore, because they don’t appeal to me.

For threads where a Mac compatible or PC game game is mentioned, let’s talk about the game, it’s good and bad points and lay off the snide and insulting comments. It’s just not needed unless the goal is to hurt someone’s feelings which should not be the goal.

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
EXACTLY this. I really don't understand the die hard "but AAA games!!!!!!!! people not just here, but everywhere". Take a good look at the AAA industry. If you want bug filled, games that don't even perform well on top end hardware, micro transactions and DLC/Deluxe Super Duper Amazing Edition, then I am glad Macs aren't that involved in this part of the industry.

This is exactly what I did. Not only did I get the 13900k and 4090 for gaming, but I also got it for my video editing projects. So it's not a TOTAL loss.

People need to stop putting ALL, and even MOST of the blame on Apple here. It is purely up to the developers. If Apple is so toxic to gamers, why do we have SOME stuff on Macs? If Apple spends 100 billion to get more games on Macs, then what? Developers will still treat it last because....MARKETSHARE!

As a game dev, this is all that matters. I have said so in many threads. And this has been a constant discussion with Macs forever. And guess what, having NVIDIA GPUs won't improve the situation because when we DID have NVIDIA GPUs, it wasn't much better, it was worse in fact.

People just need to stop spreading hate. Gaming is more than just Call of Duty or the same old multiplayer experience 100000 times.

Macs have that I play: Minecraft, Terraria, Factorio, Stardew Valley, Tomb Raider, Borderlands, Cities Skylines, Surviving Mars, Hades, Company of Heroes, Stellaris, RimWorld, FTL, Dead Cells, XCom, Prison Architect, Shadow of Mordor, Planet Coaster, Speedrunners, Rocket League, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Alien: Isolation, Castle Crashers, Don't Stave, DOTA, League of Legends, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Civ, Bioshock.

That is a decent list of games right there. Some of those aren't even on Nintendo Switch yet they are on Macs. Some of those are very VERY popular and critically praised like Hades. And I know the only response I will get from that list is "but...but....AAA!!!!!"

I agree with you, I am sick of all the whining lately. And it's not just with Macs. People are STILL fighting over PS5 vs Xbox. Come on people, it's 2023. Can't we put all these "wars" to rest.

Different games exist for different platforms. Not everything in gaming revolves around the AAA industry. Other than Zelda, I have just about had it with the AAA industry as a whole anyway. How many times have we seen this kind of "apology" tweet now? JUST FIX THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

Starfield is the last thing I am even remotely excited for, and if history is telling us anything it will NOT be good. And you all just hyping up the AAA industry and keep saying "take my money" are not helping the situation. If people keep buying it for "hopes" it will get patched later, why would companies bother fixing it? They got their money. Let's stop treating AAA games as the end all be all and maybe they will re-think how they run their business. I would rather pay for Factorio for $150 than pay for these broken games. As I have over 1,500 hours in it.

And thank you for acknowledging one of my previous statements. If Windows games are this bad, what do people expect honestly?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I thought you had Jedi Survivor. I don’t even have Gollum so I cannot speak to performance in my lowly 6900xt. 🤷🏽‍♂️
I didn't see Survivor in the comment, I assume since we were in a thread for Gollum you are asking about Gollum.

I still run at 1440p and even with some settings set to low (I always set shadows to Low as it kills FPS), I could not get above 60fps constantly and there were non stop micro-stutters.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
EXACTLY this. I really don't understand the die hard "but AAA games!!!!!!!! people not just here, but everywhere". Take a good look at the AAA industry. If you want bug filled, games that don't even perform well on top end hardware, micro transactions and DLC/Deluxe Super Duper Amazing Edition, then I am glad Macs aren't that involved in this part of the industry.

This is exactly what I did. Not only did I get the 13900k and 4090 for gaming, but I also got it for my video editing projects. So it's not a TOTAL loss.

People need to stop putting ALL, and even MOST of the blame on Apple here. It is purely up to the developers. If Apple is so toxic to gamers, why do we have SOME stuff on Macs? If Apple spends 100 billion to get more games on Macs, then what? Developers will still treat it last because....MARKETSHARE!

As a game dev, this is all that matters. I have said so in many threads. And this has been a constant discussion with Macs forever. And guess what, having NVIDIA GPUs won't improve the situation because when we DID have NVIDIA GPUs, it wasn't much better, it was worse in fact.

People just need to stop spreading hate. Gaming is more than just Call of Duty or the same old multiplayer experience 100000 times.

Macs have that I play: Minecraft, Terraria, Factorio, Stardew Valley, Tomb Raider, Borderlands, Cities Skylines, Surviving Mars, Hades, Company of Heroes, Stellaris, RimWorld, FTL, Dead Cells, XCom, Prison Architect, Shadow of Mordor, Planet Coaster, Speedrunners, Rocket League, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Alien: Isolation, Castle Crashers, Don't Stave, DOTA, League of Legends, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Civ, Bioshock.

That is a decent list of games right there. Some of those aren't even on Nintendo Switch yet they are on Macs. Some of those are very VERY popular and critically praised like Hades. And I know the only response I will get from that list is "but...but....AAA!!!!!"

I agree with you, I am sick of all the whining lately. And it's not just with Macs. People are STILL fighting over PS5 vs Xbox. Come on people, it's 2023. Can't we put all these "wars" to rest.

Different games exist for different platforms. Not everything in gaming revolves around the AAA industry. Other than Zelda, I have just about had it with the AAA industry as a whole anyway. How many times have we seen this kind of "apology" tweet now? JUST FIX THE GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

Starfield is the last thing I am even remotely excited for, and if history is telling us anything it will NOT be good. And you all just hyping up the AAA industry and keep saying "take my money" are not helping the situation. If people keep buying it for "hopes" it will get patched later, why would companies bother fixing it? They got their money. Let's stop treating AAA games as the end all be all and maybe they will re-think how they run their business. I would rather pay for Factorio for $150 than pay for these broken games. As I have over 1,500 hours in it.

And thank you for acknowledging one of my previous statements. If Windows games are this bad, what do people expect honestly?
I remember back in the day the game that got me to buy a PC, and that was the original Half Life. It was amazing for it’s time. As for Apple, without being a programmer, I’m prepared to say it’s not their fault other than the cost of their hardware puts them at a significant disadvantage.

It was about 2016, my then previously purchased MBP (2012) had sold new for $2400, I was traveling a lot and with a single computer, I could run both Mac programs and PC games. Mac was my OS of choice, Bootcamp was the ticket, Windows gaming was a no brainer, and I’m convinced Bootcamp had a significant effect on Apple share of the hardware market.

I was pissed when the new 2016 MBP price for dedicated graphic card went up to $3k+. I was retiring, no longer traveling on a regular basis and could not justify it, considering I had recently built a an $1100 PC that for gsming ran circles around my Mac. My guess is that it’s price and relatively small market share does make it less competitive for video gaming.

As a rule, correct me if I’m wrong, most video games are crafted on PC and if they come to the Mac, they are ported in a way, that is not the most optimized as it could be as compared to built from scratch for Mac?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I remember back in the day the game that got me to buy a PC, and that was the original Half Life. It was amazing for it’s time. As for Apple, without being a programmer, I’m prepared to say it’s not their fault other than the cost of their hardware puts them at a significant disadvantage.
Well to be fair, a $400 Dell won't be good for game development either. Heck I couldn't do much with my $1,500 Microsoft Surface Laptop! MacBook Air is decent enough to get you started compared to that $400 dell! Especially with Apple Silicon now. Back with Intel, I would agree, the Intel MacBook Air was SO BAD.

As a rule, correct me if I’m wrong, most video games are crafted on PC and if they come to the Mac, they are ported in a way, that is not the most optimized as it could be as compared to built from scratch for Mac?

You are correct. Building it natively will raise those issues early on to where you correct them early on. Even using stuff like Unity which my game can currently deploy to Macs with just a few clicks has some issues I will need to fix when I eventually get to it, but its not a priority for me (sound familiar?) as I want to get this on higher marketshare platform first like PC (sound familiar?). Mostly it is shader stuff, but I do find odd issues that aren't there on Windows.

And it is an interesting situation because I much prefer MacOS for my assets creation, from graphics to music. So I do everything other than coding on my Mac.

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think people are focusing on the wrong thing here.
That's because the OP was trying to gloat at having a bad game on the PC - I guess he's tired of defending the sad state of Mac gaming.

With no one specifically in mind (that is a general statement), there seems to be a lot a of sour grapes from many apple fans. They like to just point the finger and say see, see the PC experience isn't better.
1685200158325.png

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
That's because the OP was trying to gloat at having a bad game on the PC - I guess he's tired of defending the sad state of Mac gaming.

With no one specifically in mind (that is a general statement), there seems to be a lot a of sour grapes from many apple fans. They like to just point the finger and say see, see the PC experience isn't better.
View attachment 2208451
Well to be fair, it's far more frustrating as a PC gamer, you literally right now cannot get any higher specs than the 13900k (or AMD equivalent) and 4090 (or AMD equivalent). And the recent games have been horrible. From Last of Us PC port, to Jedi to Redfall. This LOTR game is part of the list but I wouldn't put too much weight in it, it looks horrible even if it performs great. Looks like a PS2 game with a remastered PS3 release. Let's not forget God of War 2018 and Horizon Zero Dawn had some performance issues when it released too on PC. It is far too common these days. And as much as I love the new Zelda, it will NEVER be a 10/10 for me as the switch is SEVERELY holding it back. I mean dipping to 540p and even 20fps!

Like I said earlier, I also have my PC to work on some projects so it's not a total loss. It still is quite frustrating there is nothing better and still struggle with performance. And it was quite expensive. And people that don't find this as frustrating are just continuing to allow this pattern to continue. Why isn't everyone raging about the state of even PC gaming?

As much as Metal Gear Solid has been my all time favorite game series, I fully expect the MGS Delta remake to perform bad on PC. This is just the state of PC gaming. Starfield will probably perform bad too! It is no longer an exception, but the rule these days. We see too many of these "sorry for performance issues LULZ" posts from devs on Twitter. I don't like this trend in gaming.

Reactions: Irishman and Homy

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
This game is probably one of the worst efforts, in every regard, in recent gaming history.
No it isn't. There are much more. There always have been, back to the home computer days in 80s and 90s peaking with the C64 and Amiga. It's called franchise licensing. Take a very successful franchise, license it for a game and put "5 minutes" of effort into it to cash in. Just look at titles like "Masters oof the Universe" for the C64. The franchise was very successful in the 80s. Back in the day of floppy discs and mailboxes that wasn't a problem for sales. It even worked back in the CompuServe days. Not so much nowadays. Look at what happened to Warcraft 3 Reforged (on all platforms).

Gollum is a typical franchise title, with the license bought by a company largely known for games that a hobby developer could create in a week or so. No one expected anything from this title and that's exactly what we got. A piece of franchise garbage. There's so much more of franchise licensing stuff coming that won't be anywhere near good, be prepared for massive complaining. Much of that could be avoided if people would start to think critically or at all again. I teach at a university and sometimes have to ask myself "how in the world are some of these kids finding their way home on their own?". Guess they have an app for that. 🤷‍♂️

And as much as I love the new Zelda, it will NEVER be a 10/10 for me as the switch is SEVERELY holding it back. I mean dipping to 540p and even 20fps!
Dock it. Helps a little. Not perfect but better. And then of course there are options to boost performance to full res 60fps, which we won't discuss here. ;)

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Dock it. Helps a little. Not perfect but better. And then of course there are options to boost performance to full res 60fps, which we won't discuss here.
I only play docked. It still dips to low res due to FSR. Also LOD is so low, sometimes animals spawn right next to me.

kpluck

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2018
Sacramento
Since when it's a bad thing to provide opposite facts debunking rumors and claims?

Why aren't you posting these "facts" in the actual threads where those rumors and claims are being made? I don't wish to throw stones at anyone but this thread doesn't seem to be doing anything positive for the point you are trying to make.

-kp

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.