Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
In all honesty, I'm having a better experience on my PS5. I have a handful of games on my PC, to be sure but I'm definitely seeing some better options and selection for my PS5
Yeah the only thing I do not like about the PS5 is the controller. This has been the worst controllers in my opinion. I much prefer the Nintendo Pro controller or the Xbox Elite controller. Elite is #1 for me for the rubberized grips and the premium feel. Doesn't feel like $5 plastic. Switch pro is #2 for the feel. #3 I would say PS3 Dualshock.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I didn't see Survivor in the comment, I assume since we were in a thread for Gollum you are asking about Gollum.

I still run at 1440p and even with some settings set to low (I always set shadows to Low as it kills FPS), I could not get above 60fps constantly and there were non stop micro-stutters.
That is so weird cause (with RT off) I get better than 60fps with my 6900xt at the same resolution with high settings, no FSR.

I am trying to look for other reviews on this Lord of the Rings game. Trying to see if the game play loop is worth dealing with the technical issues (I put Survivor in this bucket).

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I only play docked. It still dips to low res due to FSR. Also LOD is so low, sometimes animals spawn right next to me.
Oh that's interesting. I've only quickly checked it out and that didn't happen to me. As things progress in the game, there's surely more processing power required. Nothing that can be done I guess. Hopefully Nintendo will push out the next console with backward compatibility and not too far in the future.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
This is just the state of PC gaming. Starfield will probably perform bad too! It is no longer an exception, but the rule these days. We see too many of these "sorry for performance issues LULZ" posts from devs on Twitter. I don't like this trend in gaming.

No wonder there are no Mac ports when they're all busy patching up and fixing their broken games. I wouldn't be surprised if they're even more cautious about entering the foreign territory and messing up a Mac port when they can't manage to release a clean PC game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethosik

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well to be fair, a $400 Dell won't be good for game development either. Heck I couldn't do much with my $1,500 Microsoft Surface Laptop! MacBook Air is decent enough to get you started compared to that $400 dell! Especially with Apple Silicon now. Back with Intel, I would agree, the Intel MacBook Air was SO BAD.

You are correct. Building it natively will raise those issues early on to where you correct them early on. Even using stuff like Unity which my game can currently deploy to Macs with just a few clicks has some issues I will need to fix when I eventually get to it, but its not a priority for me (sound familiar?) as I want to get this on higher marketshare platform first like PC (sound familiar?). Mostly it is shader stuff, but I do find odd issues that aren't there on Windows.

And it is an interesting situation because I much prefer MacOS for my assets creation, from graphics to music. So I do everything other than coding on my Mac.
I was being fair when I said a $1000* home built dedicated graphic card PC ran circles around my $2000 integrated graphics Intel MBP. Now yes, Silicon is reported to be better than previous Intel Macs if the game is released for the MacOS.

*This was the price before graphic cards went though the roof.

Regarding the OS I too prefer Mac to Windows for every day computing tasks. That is why I’ll likely be getting another MBP when I eventually replace my 2016 MBP. Seven years old and I wonder how much longer I can expect it to go? It does have a solid state drive in it. :)

Reactions: Matsamoto

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Why aren't you posting these "facts" in the actual threads where those rumors and claims are being made? I don't wish to throw stones at anyone but this thread doesn't seem to be doing anything positive for the point you are trying to make.

-kp

There are several reasons. First and foremost because there wasn’t a dedicated thread about the game. Another reason was I didn’t want to dig up and bring old toxic discussions back to life. I have also stopped communicating with certain individuals around here because of their never-ending toxic and condescending attitude towards many community members so no need to feed the trolls. Also my post wasn't about being positive or negative, just counter facts.

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
That's because the OP was trying to gloat at having a bad game on the PC - I guess he's tired of defending the sad state of Mac gaming.

With no one specifically in mind (that is a general statement), there seems to be a lot a of sour grapes from many apple fans. They like to just point the finger and say see, see the PC experience isn't better.
View attachment 2208451

So instead of pointing at one particular person like the last time now you label all Mac users as sour defenders of the ”sad state” of Mac gaming? I’ve never seen any of the many PC gloaters around this forum once be labeled as such but when Mac users, conveniently called ”Apple fans”, provide refutation of some myths they are gloaters and sour grapes and we’re the ones who like to point fingers and throw the first stone? Sure, keep going down that path if you want.

Sadness is a feeling and ”sad state” is a personal preference, not a fact and who is defending by the way? Right, Mac users just love to point fingers, that’s all we do on this forum day after day, unlike all the mature and respectful PC ”pros” who couldn’t care less for Apple, Macs and gaming in particular, so much in fact that they love to share their wise opinions in every thread to enlighten and liberate ”Apple worshipers/fanbois”. Well, apparently you missed the point again. I’m debunking and refuting glorified myths made by PC gamers themselves, not defending whatever you think I’m defending so don’t shoot the messenger.

You just point out the symptoms but don’t seem to reflect on the root of the problem and cause of the ”sour grapes”. There is no smoke without fire. Don’t throw the first stone when you’re not without sins, i.e. people shouldn’t trash-talk Mac gamers and other community members when PC gaming is in a sad state too. They can debate all they want but should do it on equal terms without glorifying.

So you think PC gaming is in a happy state? You said yourself ”In all honesty, I'm having a better experience on my PS5. I'm definitely seeing some better options and selection for my PS5”. And what is it exactly I’m sour about that I ”can’t have” according to your definition? Am I supposed to be sour about not having bug infested failed game releases with empty content time after time or top-tier gaming PCs not being able to handle the latest releases? Well, that’s easily solved. I could just buy a PC but since you yourself went with PS5 it would be even easier and cheaper for me to do that. So what’s here to envy and be sour about? Or maybe the PC fans are the ones who envy Mac users and their peaceful state of Mac gaming and ease of mind, considering how many sour grapes by your own definition PC fans share about Apple, Mac users and Mac gaming on a Mac forum? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I think you are bothered by comments such as Mac gaming "sucks" and is "dead". And since this is a Mac site, I don’t think you should have to put up with those kinds of comments as a way of picking on people who like their Macs for gaming. But I also think that “Mac gaming is dead” could be a legitimate perspective, it just does not, should not be used continuously as a whip.

My suggestion for anyone who wants to severely critic Mac hardware when it comes to gaming, to give the people who feel positively about Mac gaming a break. Yes, don’t candy coat your critics but how about keepimg your comments factual, and lay off the harsh words and insults.

That said, for myself, I gave up on Mac gaming in 2016 when I upgraded to my latest MBP, paid, $2000 for integrated graphics and it underperformed, at the time a $1000 home built PC With a dedicated graphic program card in it. Those were the facts and I felt the Mac was no longer competitive for gaming. MacOS conversions would come out after long delays, and in some cases the Mac version would be lacking features, the PC version had. So the bottom line is, I still love my MBP, I just don’t play games on it.

I also think it’s a mistake to bad mouth a PC game when a sucky one comes out as a counter attack or defacto defense as to why Macs might be better for gaming or not so bad for gaming. If a game comes out cross platform, the way they are made, it probably sucks across all platforms it runs on. And there are many more PC releases, and yes a good many of them suck. As a rule when I scroll down my Steam queue, the list of highlighted games for that day, most of them are PC, and on average, I put 80% of them on ignore, because they don’t appeal to me.

For threads where a Mac compatible or PC game game is mentioned, let’s talk about the game, it’s good and bad points and lay off the snide and insulting comments. It’s just not needed unless the goal is to hurt someone’s feelings which should not be the goal.

I know you from another good old famous Mac forum where there is no toxic atmosphere between Mac and PC gamers and you have a healthy attitude. You create many threads for different PC games but only to discuss the games and your gameplay, not to ridicule anyone for personal amusement or to show some kind of superiority. Neither do I go around this forum and create threads to bad-mouth PC games or gamers for fun. In fact those two other threads about SW Jedi: Survivor and Redfall wasn’t even started by me, but PC gamers themselves who complained about bad performance or reported that the games were ”getting decimated” by reviewers. I just happened to become the OP there when my older posts elsewhere were moved to those threads and ended up at top.

No smoke without fire so there is always a valid reason behind my posts and threads other than ”gloating” and ”bad mouthing”. As I’ve said many times I try to be factual and creating this thread was also simply an answer to previous claims about the state of PC/Mac gaming. I neither ”hate” PC gaming/gamers nor pretend Mac gaming is superior. I mean if you’re happy with your gaming choices and platform you shouldn’t feel the need to preach for others what they should or shouldn’t, unlike some individuals around here who appear to suffer from chronic inferiority/superiority complex. I mean really, how desperate and self-righteous one must be to go from a simple gaming discussion to comparing Mac gamers and dissidents/critics to a ”cult” of ”self-deluding die-hard fanbois and worshipers”, anti-vaxxers, 5G haters, state conspiracists, mentally handicapped children and individuals with intellectual disabilities and mental health problems studied by imaginary psychologists, analysts and industry experts while they gather around in their private groups to have dinner and a good laugh at us poor fools??

And these are supposed to be so called pros and self-proclaimed industry people who not only behave like this but proudly admit they ridicule community members on their free time for personal amusement? If this is so common in the gaming industry it’s just a sad state of decay. Then I’m not surprised why nothing gets done and we end up with all these crappy games when all these people do is sitting on their lazy bums and laugh at poor fools who keep pre-ordering their hot messes hoping for the next good release.

Speaking of psychology recent studies from researchers at Oregon State University College of Business, among others, show that narcissists are blind to their own mistakes. They don't learn from their mistakes because they don't acknowledge them and they don't take advice from other people. I guess that’s why we keep seeing such disgraceful posts with the same repetitive negative narrative and arguments here year after year by so called ”industry experts” and we keep seeing one failed game release after another. They’re too egocentric to listen and learn. It’s the same people who one day when people debunk some PC myths say they’re realists and don’t care about gaming platforms, there are good and bad games on every platform and they only care about playing the games, not opening threads to complain but the next day they’re all over the place and whine about and mock ”the one and done” RE Village and its ”bugs” in every thread and call Apple as a ”running gag in the industry”. Talk about double standards!

It’s actually a good thing that Apple employees supposedly check out these threads, cause they can see and recognize what kind of developers they should avoid working with. I’m sure people trash-talking Apple and saying Apple is ”a running gag in the industry” wouldn’t be their first choice. Can’t imagine people from major renowned companies hang out here and slander Apple, hardly anyone from Capcom, Hello Games, Feral, Codemasters, Bloober Team, Fallen Leaf, 4A or Larian Studios who have worked with Apple. At least they're busy actually making Mac games instead of playing "experts" on internet forums. Those so called ”industry people” ridiculing Apple and Mac users frequently on this forum are either people with no significant role in Mac gaming development or people who have had a beef with Apple and can’t get on with their lives. Another good reason to not take them seriously.

Those imaginary psychologists have a really interesting case here to work on. It’s pretty spectacular to see people actually exposing themselves in such a way thinking it’s something to be proud of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
you label all Mac users as sour defenders
I looked through this thread, I never stated anything close to that.

Here's what I said (shown below) with the pertinent word bolded. I'm sure you misread what I wrote because you wouldn't purposely misrepresent my words on purpose just to further your own argument would you.

With no one specifically in mind (that is a general statement), there seems to be a lot a of sour grapes from many apple fans.

I’ve never seen any of the many PC gloaters
I've not gloated at all, in fact I'm just pointing out how you are trying to gloat
So you think PC gaming is in a happy state?
I've actually have not given my opinion of the state of the gaming. And yes, I do find gaming on my PS5 enjoyable

I know you from another good old famous Mac forum where there is no toxic atmosphere between Mac and PC gamers
I agree there does seem a level of toxicity - this thread is a great example. I see no issues in calling out the gollum game as being bad but then to try to twist this into a PC vs. Mac gaming argument is odd. Definitely has Aesop's fables The fox and the grapes vibe to me

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
On one hand, people need more games in their library so less time for essay-length venting but on the other hand they serve a purpose to help drive prices down. Need more crapping on Last of Us since it's still hovering ~$45 but worth it for the story, near realistic graphics and runs great on lowly non-13900K non-4090 at 1440p ultra graphics settings.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I've actually have not given my opinion of the state of the gaming. And yes, I do find gaming on my PS5 enjoyable
I already happen to know about the results of the latest Apple shopping spree. What I don't know is if these will be ready in time for WWDC, but these will be announced at some point.

Here's the funny part though. Multiple people have already claimed that PC and console gaming is a total mess and it's actually a good thing these games are not on the Mac, because the preferred solution is to not have these games at all. Watch a 180 degree turn to happen as soon as these games are announced for the Mac. It'll go from "garbage no one wants" to the saviour of Mac gaming and the new holy grail, leave aside the proof it brings that Mac gaming is the best thing ever. Damn logic.

Then they'll say it's a good thing it took that long because things are fixed now and the situation can't be compared. Only that it's been fixed before on other systems... damn logic again. ;)

And why wouldn't you find gaming enjoyable on the PS5? Or Xbox, Switch or PC or Mac for that matter? If games are available for a specific platform, then one might as well enjoy them.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
I looked through this thread, I never stated anything close to that.

Here's what I said (shown below) with the pertinent word bolded. I'm sure you misread what I wrote because you wouldn't purposely misrepresent my words on purpose just to further your own argument would you.

I've not gloated at all, in fact I'm just pointing out how you are trying to gloat

I agree there does seem a level of toxicity - this thread is a great example. I see no issues in calling out the gollum game as being bad but then to try to twist this into a PC vs. Mac gaming argument is odd. Definitely has Aesop's fables The fox and the grapes vibe to me

I agree this discussion is getting odd when I have to explain obvious things time and time again. It feels like you had your own expectations of this topic and when the discussion didn’t meet your expectations you have a hard time to see and accept my explanations. So for the fourth time I’m not the one trying to twist things here. Several individuals have tried in the past to twist the absence of this and other PC games on Mac into a sign and proof of Mac gaming being dead and done. To put it very simply they have said something like

”Mac gaming sucks and is dead. You can’t play Gollum on it at release.” I’m saying ”Not much, cause look Gollum sucks too and is DOA.”

”Mac gaming sucks and is dead. You can’t play Redfall on it at release.” I’m saying ”Not much, cause look Redfall sucks too and is DOA.”

”Mac gaming sucks and is dead. You can’t play SW Jedi: Survivor on it at release.” I’m saying ”Not much, cause look Survivor sucks too even on your 4090.”

The list goes on, things change and Mac/PC gaming can get better or worse but as always the weird twisting is done by PC gamers by declaring Mac gaming dead and done because of the absence of hyped AAA day-and-date releases proven later to be huge disappointments when in fact Mac gaming is alive and kicking, just not in a way some PC gamers like. As I said ”sad state” is a relative term depending on your needs. If you’re happy with your console then Mac and even PC would be in a neutral or irrelevant state of gaming and if you can find your favorite games on Mac it wouldn’t matter if not every AAA game exists. Then the Mac would be in a happy state of gaming, just like you.

I already explained my thoughts about ”sour grapes” so again it’s odd you share the story about the fox like you didn’t even read my previous post. You’re saying I created this thread because I want to play Gollum or other mentioned titles but can’t and that’s why I’m dissing them?? Do you even want to play such titles yourself when you’re admitting Gollum is bad? You wrote the games are ”getting decimated by reviewers” and are telling me I’m jealous of titles not even PC gamers/reviewers want to play?? Sorry but it doesn’t make any sense to me. I can always buy a console like you if I wanted so why wouldn’t I be able to ”reach the grapes”? Very strange discussion.

Yes, you said ”there seems to be a lot a of sour grapes from many apple fans.” but aren’t you focusing on the wrong part here again? I mean ”many” is close enough but the important part was when you only pointed out that ”many Apple fans” were complaining and didn’t say anything about the cause of the ”sour grapes” which was one of the main points in the discussion, as I said before. I also mentioned the PC gloaters and wondered why people are quick to complain about ”Apple fans” complaining but not much about PC people pointing fingers. Remember my wish ”debate on equal terms”?

You said ”a lot of sour grapes from many Apple fans” in a discussion where maybe only 3-4 other people agreed with me to different extents. The discussion is also about Mac/PC gaming. To me that means all the Mac users in the discussion, hence me saying ”you label all (3-4) Mac users”.

Don’t know if you misread my comment since you didn’t quote the whole sentence but I didn’t say you’re gloating. I said ”I’ve never seen any of the many PC gloaters around this forum once be labeled as such”, again meaning people are quick to complain about ”Apple fans” complaining but not much about PC people pointing fingers. I mean in a discussion where I and some others have explained our points with valid reasons you expect some understanding instead of being called ”sour grapes” while the other side gets no criticism. As I’ve already said too I’m not ”trying to gloat”. Yes, I used a catchy title referring to Queen’s ”Another one bites the dust” because of another bad PC release in the recent weeks but I have already explained my main point with the thread above.

You did write ”I guess he's tired of defending the sad state of Mac gaming.” meaning you too think Mac gaming is in a sad state and since the discussion is mainly about Mac vs. PC gaming it would naturally mean you think PC gaming is in a good state being a PC gamer yourself as well. Otherwise there wouldn’t be a need for emphasizing and you could have said ”tired of defending Mac gaming”. That together with ”a lot a of sour grapes from many apple fans. They like to just point the finger and say see, see the PC experience isn't better.” and saying I’m trying to twist this topic showed pretty well where you stand despite saying you haven’t given your opinion.

Last edited:

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
”Mac gaming sucks and is dead. You can’t play Gollum on it at release.” I’m saying ”Not much, cause look Gollum sucks too and is DOA.”

”Mac gaming sucks and is dead. You can’t play Redfall on it at release.” I’m saying ”Not much, cause look Redfall sucks too and is DOA.”

”Mac gaming sucks and is dead. You can’t play SW Jedi: Survivor on it at release.” I’m saying ”Not much, cause look Survivor sucks too even on your 4090.”
Mac gaming sucks (and is not dead), because many, many great games are available on basically all platforms except macOS, because we can't play 32-bit Mac games anymore and because performance is generally lower than on Windows, due to the Mac being an afterthought.

And this isn't going to change.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You did write ”I guess he's tired of defending the sad state of Mac gaming.” meaning you too think Mac gaming is in a sad state
I'm not denying that statement

Mac gaming is in a sad state - Especially when compared to the PC or consoles.

You're trying to use a tactic of marginalizing PC gaming segment in order to elevate Mac gaming, i.e., bring one down to to raise the other. Weird tactic because most people objectively agree that if you want to game, you get a PC/console - Not a Mac.

Steam's hardware stats for April:
Windows 96.38%
Mac 2.30%
Linux (not in the screen shot) 1.32%

First Linux is in striking distance to supplant OSX's second place. Secondly, the percentage that OSX holds is so miniscule that I do believe it affirms my opinion that if you want to game, you avoid Macs. Third, publishers are intimately away of these statistics and choose the platforms based on the best opportunity to recoup the money they sink into game development and also profit.

2023-05-29_5-33-32.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know you from another good old famous Mac forum where there is no toxic atmosphere between Mac and PC gamers and you have a healthy attitude. You create many threads for different PC games but only to discuss the games and your gameplay, not to ridicule anyone for personal amusement or to show some kind of superiority. Neither do I go around this forum and create threads to bad-mouth PC games or gamers for fun. In fact those two other threads about SW Jedi: Survivor and Redfall wasn’t even started by me, but PC gamers themselves who complained about bad performance or reported that the games were ”getting decimated” by reviewers. I just happened to become the OP there when my older posts elsewhere were moved to those threads and ended up at top.

No smoke without fire so there is always a valid reason behind my posts and threads other than ”gloating” and ”bad mouthing”. As I’ve said many times I try to be factual and creating this thread was also simply an answer to previous claims about the state of PC/Mac gaming. I neither ”hate” PC gaming/gamers nor pretend Mac gaming is superior. I mean if you’re happy with your gaming choices and platform you shouldn’t feel the need to preach for others what they should or shouldn’t, unlike some individuals around here who appear to suffer from chronic inferiority/superiority complex. I mean really, how desperate and self-righteous one must be to go from a simple gaming discussion to comparing Mac gamers and dissidents/critics to a ”cult” of ”self-deluding die-hard fanbois and worshipers”, anti-vaxxers, 5G haters, state conspiracists, mentally handicapped children and individuals with intellectual disabilities and mental health problems studied by imaginary psychologists, analysts and industry experts while they gather around in their private groups to have dinner and a good laugh at us poor fools??

And these are supposed to be so called pros and self-proclaimed industry people who not only behave like this but proudly admit they ridicule community members on their free time for personal amusement? If this is so common in the gaming industry it’s just a sad state of decay. Then I’m not surprised why nothing gets done and we end up with all these crappy games when all these people do is sitting on their lazy bums and laugh at poor fools who keep pre-ordering their hot messes hoping for the next good release.

Speaking of psychology recent studies from researchers at Oregon State University College of Business, among others, show that narcissists are blind to their own mistakes. They don't learn from their mistakes because they don't acknowledge them and they don't take advice from other people. I guess that’s why we keep seeing such disgraceful posts with the same repetitive negative narrative and arguments here year after year by so called ”industry experts” and we keep seeing one failed game release after another. They’re too egocentric to listen and learn. It’s the same people who one day when people debunk some PC myths say they’re realists and don’t care about gaming platforms, there are good and bad games on every platform and they only care about playing the games, not opening threads to complain but the next day they’re all over the place and whine about and mock ”the one and done” RE Village and its ”bugs” in every thread and call Apple as a ”running gag in the industry”. Talk about double standards!

It’s actually a good thing that Apple employees supposedly check out these threads, cause they can see and recognize what kind of developers they should avoid working with. I’m sure people trash-talking Apple and saying Apple is ”a running gag in the industry” wouldn’t be their first choice. Can’t imagine people from major renowned companies hang out here and slander Apple, hardly anyone from Capcom, Hello Games, Feral, Codemasters, Bloober Team, 4A or Larian Studios who have worked with Apple. Those so called ”industry people” ridiculing Apple and Mac users frequently on this forum are either people with no significant role in Mac gaming development or people who have had a beef with Apple and can’t get on with their lives. Another good reason to not take them seriously.

Those imaginary psychologists have a really interesting case here to work on. It’s pretty spectacular to see people actually exposing themselves in such a way thinking it’s something to be proud of.
This is the source if you want to call it of the pushback : “across this forum that Mac gamers couldn't play (hence Mac gaming "sucks" and is "dead)“, tying a failed PC game with perceived attacks on Mac Gaming. Now I’m not saying there are no arracks on Mac gaming at all, I myself, will speak of the relative merits of PC vs Mac gaming in a factual manner, but I don’t use the hurtful terms. And I don’t blame you as a Mac enthusiast, who does not like Mac being picked on as a gaming platform, nor do I think you hate PC games.

I’d say something like, it’s ironic as the predominant gaming platform, so many PC games stink, and I like the fact that many of the good games are the ones that are ported to the Mac, not that this statement is really any better than what you said. I don’t think that there should be any fights about which platform is better for gaming, and which overall is better for most other things, and which has the better OS (Mac). Apple also does a better job of keeping their iOS ecosystem clean as compared to Android.

If I was to hold Apple responsible, I don’t like their pricing, although when it comes to laptops, you can find PC laptops in the same price range, but at the same time imo you get better hardware value with the PC. Apple markets it’s hardware the way it does because enough customers will purchase it, mostly imo based on the OS.

Reactions: Homy and maflynn

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I'm not denying that statement

Mac gaming is in a sad state - Especially when compared to the PC or consoles.

You're trying to use a tactic of marginalizing PC gaming segment in order to elevate Mac gaming, i.e., bring one down to to raise the other. Weird tactic because most people objectively agree that if you want to game, you get a PC/console - Not a Mac.

Steam's hardware stats for April:
Windows 96.38%
Mac 2.30%
Linux (not in the screen shot) 1.32%

First Linux is in striking distance to supplant OSX's second place. Secondly, the percentage that OSX holds is so miniscule that I do believe it affirms my opinion that if you want to game, you avoid Macs. Third, publishers are intimately away of these statistics and choose the platforms based on the best opportunity to recoup the money they sink into game development and also profit.

View attachment 2209113
And with Windows being at 96% here, and we are getting horrible ports lately that makes my top end system not worth it from a gaming perspective, why do people think things should be different when Macs have 2.3% here?

If game devs are treating Windows users this bad, again why is the current state of Mac gaming ANY shock? It is PURELY Marketshare driven. Nintendo Switch has more AAA games than Mac does, and you need to do a lot....A LOT of work to get current gen games to work on a Switch, it is severely outdated hardware. But devs put in significant effort into it since it has very high marketshare.

I think it's time we stop blaming Apple for every minor thing here. People complain about the prices, but it wasn't cheap buying a gaming PC either. Certainly not as cheap as a $300-500 console.

Like I said before, I am far more frustrated as a PC gamer than I am as a Mac gamer. The fact that currently at the time I built it there was NO BETTER SYSTEM than a 13900k and a 4090, yet some games struggled with it is very frustrating. So they aren't even treating us Windows users properly. Have these canned "Sorry for the performance issues, we will MAYBE fix them in the future, but still we will take your money LOL" tweets and posts from devs are getting far too common these days.

Game devs have an excuse for Macs - marketshare
Game devs have NO excuse for Windows - lazy, rushed ports

PC gaming is not in a good state right now.

Digital Foundry about how 2022 was, and 2023 so far has been just as bad if not worse.

And here is more people talking about how PC ports are going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it's time we stop blaming Apple for every minor thing here
I'm of the opinion that there's not a single a cause to the gaming malaise on the Mac. Apple certainly has not helped their case for decades by configuring their Macs with under-powered GPUs that cementing their reputation that Macs are not gaming machines. I know the M1, and more so the M2 Pro are more capable, but the damage is done.

I also think the demographics of who buys Macs are another reason - many people buy Macs for creative endeavors and professional reasons We constantly hear that MBPs are for professionals. Well Pros generally don't play games on their work computers. Game publishers worried about ROI are resistant to rollout mac games.

These are just a handful of reasons that quickly came to my mind - I'm sure there's many

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Game devs have NO excuse for Windows - lazy, rushed ports
You evidently have never worked in this industry. The excuse is all financial. Rush out games quicker, cash in quicker and move half the team to work on something else already to create hundreds of millions of $ earlier there. Same principle as in engineering, save a penny here and there watch it unfold to millions and millions of $ saved. Apple saving a tiny bit on components -> coil whine, a few isolating parts in the iPhone -> "you're holding it wrong". It happens all the time. Should it? No, but that's how you end up with more profits.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I'm of the opinion that there's not a single a cause to the gaming malaise on the Mac. Apple certainly has not helped their case for decades by configuring their Macs with under-powered GPUs that cementing their reputation that Macs are not gaming machines. I know the M1, and more so the M2 Pro are more capable, but the damage is done.

I also think the demographics of who buys Macs are another reason - many people buy Macs for creative endeavors and professional reasons We constantly hear that MBPs are for professionals. Well Pros generally don't play games on their work computers. Game publishers worried about ROI are resistant to rollout mac games.

These are just a handful of reasons that quickly came to my mind - I'm sure there's many
And the Nintendo Switch is ultra powerful?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You evidently have never worked in this industry. The excuse is all financial. Rush out games quicker, cash in quicker and move half the team to work on something else already to create hundreds of millions of $ earlier there. Same principle as in engineering, save a penny here and there watch it unfold to millions and millions of $ saved. Apple saving a tiny bit on components -> coil whine, a few isolating parts in the iPhone -> "you're holding it wrong". It happens all the time. Should it? No, but that's how you end up with more profits.
Uh yes I have. Been a software engineer for 25 years and am working on my own game that is Windows exclusives. How about stop assuming what people do for a living. All these companies must know how these games perform, it's not just some Joe Somebody with an obscure configuration that causes all of these performance issues. They have a canned response ready and post on Twitter saying "SORRY for the performance". So they must know.

And you said exactly what I said, they rush it out to make quick bucks.

Reactions: Homy

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If Apple isn't to blame for weak iGPU that can't handle recent games then who do we blame, developers, users? Nobody wants to talk about it but at least half of the 2.3% Steam MacOS user base with base M1 and Intel integrated graphics can't handle recent games. That's far worse than initial game launch issues that can be corrected with updates. And, how likely are those users going to repeat the same mistake when they can just get a console or PC with much better performance at lower cost?

1685381482347.png

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
The difference is that its a hand held device dedicated to gaming and it has access to Nintendo's game catalog. Totally different animal.
Not necessarily. Games are still coming out for Switch even though we have the Steam Deck which is far more powerful.

You complain about the GPU power of Macs yet give Switch a pass. I have seen how much work devs need to do to make a game even runnable on a Switch. It doesn't matter if it's handheld or not. They need to sacrifice so much. They could clearly put in the same effort on Macs. But they don't. Why? Marketshare. If Switch was the Wii U of this generation, we would not see it get as many games. That was one the Wii U's biggest problem is lack of third party support.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
And you said exactly what I said, they rush it out to make quick bucks.
And that is exactly the excuse. If they don't rush, people lose jobs and the studio is gone. Nothing is going to change that. The "game" is much harder in the entertainment industry than any other type of software engineering/development. And if you've worked for Microsoft, Sony, Apple, EA, Ubi, Capcom or similar large companies in the gaming business you know this. Good for you that you can focus on your indie game now and don't have to play by the same rules. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.