The Macbook Pro Updates - *Your Verdict*

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FleurDuMal, Jun 5, 2007.

?

What is your opinion of the MBP update?

1. Fulfilled ALL of my needs

89 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. Fulfilled MOST of my needs

145 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. Fulfiled SOME of my needs

47 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Fulfilled NONE of my needs

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Don't care

48 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Simple question: Did Apple come up trumps on this latest update to the MBP range? Have they done everything that could reasonably be expected of them? Or have they dropped a bollock on this one?

Post what you're needs are and how they met them or failed to meet them as well if you like.

(Mods: I looked for a similar thread, but didn't find one. If there is already a poll on this please delete this thread.)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. quik macrumors regular

I wasn't sure about the LED displays but I'm very happy with the update.

I would have hoped for 256/512MB VRAM but it's still a good update.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

If the displays are of good quality, I think the update is good. On the other hand, the previous MBPs should have had a good display too so an upgrade is not really an upgrade....it's what it should have been.

5. kiang macrumors regular

kiang

I'm just thrileld with everything, but I was hoping at a 256/512MB VRAM shoice instead of 128/256, but I'm happy as it is now ^^

6. cube macrumors G5

- I have the suspicion the LED backlight is not locally dimmed.
    - No DVD-RAM
    - No eSATA port (don't like using an adapter)

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I was kinda hoping for faster Core 2 Duos, but I am very happy with this configuration.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's great, but when will we get a truly durable case? I'm stuck waiting for the MBs to get better I guess. I would love to have an MBP, they're truly great now. It's just the aluminum case that's getting me. Otherwise- a really, really nice computer.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Good upgrade, but I'm not getting one (I have the previous model and that's fine too).

Someone above mentioned DVD-RAM! Apple hasn't supported that for years now, did you mean HD DVD?

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The base model with an upgrade to a bigger hard drive would be fine for me, but I'm perfectly happy with my Core Duo MBP for the time being.

11. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

very good update, should be a super solid machine all the problems from rev 1 and 2 should be dealt with by now

12. jawzzy macrumors regular

The update did most of what I was looking for, though I still ahve a couple qualms:

1: C'mon Apple, redesign the case! If only a little bit, as that gray plastic strip around the edges looks pretty bad.

2. No user replaceable HD? I can live with this, but if the Macbook has it, why not the Macbook Pro?

3. That infernal latch on the case! I have never been able to get used to it, why not go with the fully magnetic latch like on the Macbook?

4. VRAM is a bit low, but its not a very big issue for me.

All in all, I'm OK with the update, but I think the above things would have been feasible and appreciated by the consumers. I hope I don't sound like those complainers that post in all caps complaining that there are no Blu-Ray drives or 1TB HDs or 3Ghz processors. Sheesh.:rolleyes:

My .02 :)

However, I'm going to buy one before the end of August anyways: like so many wise forumers have stated, buy when you need it!

13. thomasp macrumors 6502a

At last an entry-level specced MacBook Pro that really shows the age of my PowerBook :D

For £1106 (mmmm, uni. educational discount :D) I am half-tempted to forget about trying to get my PowerBook's dodgy trackpad temperature sensor repaired (at a cost of a couple of hundred pounds) and just bite the virtual bullet and get a new laptop. But then my sensible student money-saving head kicks in :(

Looking at the base spec MBP, it seems stupidly good value. For £100 LESS than what I paid for my PowerBook 20 months ago (not including 512Mb extra RAM or educational discounts - which actually covered the RAM upgrade...), it comes with 4x the RAM (double what my current machine has), 15% more pixels on the screen, two cores instead of one, a processor that would probably blow a G4 into another country, 50% more HD storage, DVD burning, and double the graphics RAM.

Talk about good technological progress!

14. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Are you getting it through Higher Education contract discount? Do you have any idea how to access this remotely (away from the university network)? I did have a link but now it says it won't work :confused:

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I want longevity for screen space and games. $500 more for 256 MB hurts. :(

16. cube macrumors G5

No, DVD-RAM. I don't want Apple to offer an HD drive until it's both BluRay and HD DVD.

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Don't care. Love my 2.33 15". Happy for those who get the new one though!

18. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

2.4GHz is the fastest one available.

19. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I'm accessing it through my uni's network. I think Apple have recently clamped down on accessing that site from anywhere else but uni networks. Probably best to phone the store up if you're interested in buying. If you want to know specific prices, drop me a PM and I'll have a look :)

Phone number is 0800 039 1010 (UK Only)

20. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I think the updates are pretty good.

I am just sitting by hoping that apple releases a 13.3 MBP

21. weeman macrumors 6502

22. FleurDuMal thread starter macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Ta. I had a feeling they were cracking down on it. I'm not buying anything (yet). I just wanted to mess around with a few configs of the new MBPs and see the prices, but from what I understand it's always somewhere between 13-15% off :confused:

23. tejota1911 macrumors 6502

It was a good update, but I am going to hold off until Leopard is released. I really don't have any good reason to upgrade. I have the previous version and it does everything I need it to do.

24. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Very good update. I am quite happy, ordered the 17" from the Apple Store w/ the highres and the 250 gig external drive

25. Dissecta macrumors member

Dissecta

It's what I've been been waiting for to replace my aged 867 mhz G4 PB :)