The MacRumors Fantasy World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jaffa Cake, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Ladies and gentlemen – turn away from your wallcharts and Esso medal collections for a moment if you would, and lend me your ears. In a week and a bit, one of the most eagerly awaited sporting events on the planet will begin – I am of course referring to the MacRumors Fantasy World Cup 2010.

Many of us have tried our hands – with varying levels of success – at the MacRumors Fantasy League over the past few seasons, but the time has arrived to see if our managerially-inclined MacRumormongers can cut it at international level and lift the tournament's glittering trophy, without a doubt the most coveted piece of silverware in world football.

macrumors_world_cup.jpg

The game we'll be playing will be the ESPN version, a decision influenced by a couple of factors I'll mention shortly.

Any questions?

Yes! How do I sign up?
    Simply visit the ESPN site – the game can be found here, and you can cast your eyes over the rules here. Once you're registered, drop me a PM and I'll send you back the code you need to join the MacRumours competition – if you could tell me your team name in the PM that would be useful too! I'm planning on posting a few updates as the competition progresses, and by posting usernames rather than real names we can protect folk's privacy a bit.

Additionally, those of you who played the Premier League game will recall that I made up some shirt graphics to go with these updates, this is something I'll be looking to do again so if in your PM you could mention your preferred shirt colours that would be great – unlike the Premier League game this World Cup version doesn't allow you to nominate team colours in the game.

Why PM? Why not just post the code here?
    I'm wanting to keep it a private league for actual MacRumors members and the odd 'guest' as far as possible, not those folk who trawl forums looking for league codes to join.

Why not go with the Telegraph/Sky Sports/McDonalds/whatever game? That one looks interesting...
    I've taken a look at a few different games over the past week or two, but unfortunately some very promising looking ones were let down by the fact that they either required folk to pay a fee to register, or would only allow players from certain countries. The ESPN game is free and open to all so it ticks those important boxes – the similarities to the Premier League game should also help us get our heads around the rules easily. For example, you nominate a captain for double points and the scoring system is rather similar too.

Yuk yuk! Soccer's for girls and not as good as the far more manly sport I prefer! lol!
    Please – do try and grow up. :rolleyes:

How many players can I pick?
    You need to pick a squad of 15 players with a combined value of no more than $100m. At this stage you can pick up to three players from each nation, and your selection must have at least...

• 1 Goalkeeper
    • 4 Defenders
    • 4 Midfielders
    • 2 Forwards
    ...plus four additional squad members of any position you desire. There are a number of formations available so you can tailor a team to suit your tastes.

If I pick a team now, what happens if I change my mind and want a different player or two before the tournament starts?
    At this point, you're free to pick your team and change players as many times as you like without penalty before the June 11th deadline, so don't fret about not being able to change your side to take advantage of injuries, players not being selected for their national squads, or Dutch players falling out with their manager and being sent home in disgrace.

And what about transfers once the tournament kicks off?
    The game is divided up into a number of rounds, each has a number of transfers you can use up and a differing number of players you can pick per nation (depending on how many nations are left in at that particular stage, of course). Once again, check out the rules for more information.

So – prepare your squads, ready your complaints about the matchball, and good luck!

2. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

3. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

So anyone picked Darren Bent as their striker? :p

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

5. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

6. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Maradona probably ;)

7. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Robin Van Persie is certainly priced high...but that high power Holland game will score goals :D

-J.-

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

All I'm going to say is your all going down! ;)

And I'm surprised that someone on ESPN has my username already! I thought it was suitable awkward that no one else on the net would have it! I seemed to have called 'dibs' on most other popular sites!

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

All signed up. Amazing how quickly 100M can get spent!

10. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Indeed, I struggled to get any suitable variations of 'Fuzzy' so in the end I just went for 'allthebestnameshavebeentaken' which seemed to work.

I don't recognise half of the players on there because you are all using your real names!

11. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

12. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

13. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Like the proper teams, I've picked a basic squad but my final squad will be selected later this week. ;)

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm wavering between a couple of superduperstars and then sort of lower-tier players, vs trying to even out and not spend too much on any one person.

15. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Incidentally, we now have twelve teams signed up – if anyone else is thinking of joining in don't forget the competition starts this Friday!

16. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

The plane is on standby to ferry replacements.

17. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

By curious coincidence, I've got a ferry on standby...

18. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I have neither a plane nor a ferry. Don't tell me I have to supply that too?

19. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

alan-peacock-joins-sandy-mackenzie-571499527.jpg

pivo6's boys take time to pose for the cameras before they board the team minibus to South Africa.

20. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

PM'd ya, Jaffa Cake. Forgot to add that my team name is Tilpots. Thanks!

21. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Anyone care to share their formations? 4-4-2? 3-4-3? Something exotic? :D:cool::D

Cheers.

-J.-

22. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I don't know yet – I'll wait until a little later in the week before selecting my final team, and then choose a formation to suit...

23. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Won't let me play my Total Long Ball system of 0-0-10.:(

24. Jaffa Cake thread starter macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be fair, this particular game is being run by an American company – as such, the more subtle tactical approaches to the game such as yours might be a bit lost on them. ;)

25. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

:D