Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should we move to Skype?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No-stay on Slack

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No-find different client (if so, post which one)

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Original Info: For about a year now, I've ran an extremely secluded and invite only iMessage Group chat (and have made some great friends through that). We have finally decided to open it up a little more, an to do that, we are launching the MR PPC AIM Group chat! This will be a much more open group chat were (as long as you are approved) anyone can join without an invite. Our iMessage chat will still keep going, however, it will be secluded. If a particular user really earns my trust like the current members have, I'll send an invite your way. However, this will be very limited and rare for the sake of keeping the iMessage chat peaceful. Anyway, being that it's AIM, it will work on Android, iOS, Windows, online, and any version of OS X and OS 9!

New Reboot Info: The iMessage chat has grown more and has since move to Slack and is still a private chat that is invite only by myself. Thanks to newfound interest, the AIM chat is now being rebooted into Slack. Please read the info below before asking to be joined!

RULES (as of 4/6/17):
Try to keep topics related to tech, especially PPC.
Please do not offend other users.
Gamer9430 must approve you before you are allowed to join, and it is possible for you to be rejected.
Any unauthorized users will be kicked and blocked.
Do not discuss sensitive topics.
Do not be racist.
Do not discuss politics, religion, world views

Rule breaking will be based on a 3-strike system. If you break 3 strikes, you will be temp banned for a week. For every offense after those 3 weeks, you will be banned for an additional week (ex: 5th offense 2week ban)
If you managed to rack up a month long ban, you will be permanently banned.

Qualifications:
Must be a known user in the PowerPC subform (post often/reply often)

How to apply:
Write a post below asking to be added, then PM Gamer9430 with an email address.

Decision to add users who requested to join is to be decided to Gamer9430, with or without reason.

Removal from chat is also to be decided by Gamer9430, at any time with or without reason.

How to use the chat:

Prerequisites- email account, Mac/PC/Android/iOS/Linux device

On Windows: download and install Slack for Windows

On supported Mac (10.9+): Download and install Slack for Mac

On iOS: download and install Slack App

On Android: Download and install Slack App

On Linux: Download and install Slack for Linux (compatible version for your distro/flavor)

On PPC (OS X): download and install any IRC client

On PPC (OS 9): Download and install any IRC client

INFO CURRENT AS OF 4-6-17

Last edited:

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
so5zb.jpg

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I haven't used my Intell AIM account in a while. Still use AIM for monitoring older remote servers though.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Maybe, still trying to work out a coding problem with our backup system. I'll get back to you on my availability.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I was not a fan of the AIM chat thing (since i dont like AIM much) but if intel is going to be there... I may have to start liking AIM :p

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I might as well join. My AIM is IntellMR. Saw "OS 9" and though it meant iOS 9. It's been awhile for me since I used Mac OS 9.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I might as well join. My AIM is IntellMR. Saw "OS 9" and though it meant iOS 9. It's been awhile for me since I used Mac OS 9.
I added you, however it seems like it won't let me send you a message to test that it's you

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'll join, send me an invite if its ok, name on AIM is Surrat MacFan.
Does this work with iChat? roadbloc@roadbloc.co.uk if so :)
That's an awesome idea. I'd love to join the group! My AIM ID is mikyotty:)
Thank you!

Thanks guys! Adding now.
Also Roadbloc, it does work with iChat, but being that iChat doesn't save or load transcripts, I recommend against using it and instead use the official AIM client (version 2.2 for OS X, 2.1 for OS 9). But yes, you can use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.