Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss Apple's "Scary Fast" event and the new Macs it introduced.

We talk through our candid feelings about the unusual Apple event and the way in which the company presented its latest devices. We look at the all-new M3, M3 Pro, and M3 Max chips, and weigh up the new MacBook Pro and iMac, who should consider upgrading to the next-generation machines, and more. Let us know what you think of Apple's new Macs in the comments.

The podcast is now on its own YouTube channel, so head over and subscribe to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about what we were expecting to see at Apple's event to see what we got right and wrong.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is now on X @macrumorsshowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the podcast, and let us know what subjects and guests you would like to see in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Are the M3 MacBook Pro and iMac Worth the Wait?

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Clearly we are now at the Meh phase with Apple folks... what I mean is, before Apple Silicon, Apple was at the mercy of Intel and their chip schedule. Very erratic updates and people would complain about the LACK of updates to the laptop line. Now that Apple controls the CPU and GPU, which is now on a once a year update schedule so far, now people complain that the update is just MEH...

Tough crowd for sure.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
This shouldn’t have been an announced “event”. Imagine if Apple had just released a video out of the blue announcing M3 and the new machines. People would have been excited. Apple’s big problem is that they build anticipation when they announce an ”event”. If Apple had just dropped the video sometime during the day it would have made news and created buzz. Instead, we just got disappointment.

justdanyul

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018
I think at this stage the question is really are Mac’s worth it at all anymore? The tax keeps growing and it’s getting to a stage where it really hard to justify.

I mean, right now, an 1TB to 2TB upgrade cost 2.67x the price of a similar performing 2tb Samsung 990 pro The markups are starting to border insanity.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I think within two months there's going to be rather noteworthy competition. Intel will unveil the Core Ultra on Dec 14 and apparently it has been shipping to PC makes for months and you will be able to buy comparable Intel machines for half of what Apple charges.

It's just such a price discrepancy. Apple doesn't even have a snappy design any more, and although it's very nice stuff, many basic Intel machines come with 32gb, 1tb ,3k 120hz displays, for around $1500. These are rebranded Meteor Lake.

$1500 hundred for a machine that's comparable to MacBook Pro costing over $3k. There's always been the Apple tax, but it looks like it's been creeping up ever since Intel dropped the ball 10 years ago.

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
I think within two months there's going to be rather noteworthy competition. Intel will unveil the Core Ultra on Dec 14 and apparently it has been shipping to PC makes for months and you will be able to buy comparable Intel machines for half of what Apple charges.

It's just such a price discrepancy. Apple doesn't even have a snappy design any more, and although it's very nice stuff, many basic Intel machines come with 32gb, 1tb ,3k 120hz displays, for around $1500. These are rebranded Meteor Lake.

$1500 hundred for a machine that's comparable to MacBook Pro costing over $3k. There's always been the Apple tax, but it looks like it's been creeping up ever since Intel dropped the ball.
"Comparable" Intel machines

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013

Yes I think. Meteor Lake will be competition for the M3. Not as powerful but orders of magnitude better than the gap that has existed.

You also have the Arm Snapdragon that is competitive. BTW, I have a new Galaxy Tab 39 ultra. It's a HUGE step up from the S8. I am very surprised by this, actually

Last edited:

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
Yes I think. Meteor Lake will be completion for the M3. Not as powerful but orders of magnitude better than the gap that has existed.
Nah, Intel will fail as usual. Best of those are around 12th gen on performance in multicore and worst singlecore ever. Plus they are also stating thermal power package instead of actual power consumption, so expect that to be x1.5-x2

Snapdragon X Elite is same, 23 and 80W TDP instead of power consumption + no efficiency cores = OS will keep performance cores powered for background tasks + geekbench scores are weirdly close for 23 and 80W, like 60watts are almost wasted.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Nah, Intel will fail as usual. Best of those are around 12th gen on performance in multicore and worst singlecore ever. Plus they are also stating thermal power package instead of actual power consumption, so expect that to be x1.5-x2

Well, from what I've been seeing, the benchmarks are totally unreliable presently. We will just have to wait.

And sure, Intel is not the tech darling it used to be, and just maybe it will fail in dramatically, which everyone wants because it's so much fun!

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
What would everyone think if they kept the single core speed of the Pro chips always at least 5% above the non-Pro chips? Surely with the better thermal dissipation they could achieve that?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
What wait? The ten months since the last update?
There's been no M2 iMac, so yes, that's been a pretty long wait. 29 months, not 10.

I would expect from Apple that they never skip a line anymore, especially if it's just about slapping a new processor in the case. They can't be excused here.

Else it makes buying much more difficult because we can't figure out if a product is upcoming or not. Those who bought an M1 iMac in the last 3 months must be really upset.

justdanyul

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2018

Certainly not incomparable. Geekbench 6 leaks smugglers the i7 is approx 17percent slower on single core performance than the m3.

And they got an i9 up their sleeve. Don’t get me wrong, I suspect the m3 max will still be laptop performance king, but I don’t think the gap will be 2x , as the price is likely to be.

Last edited:

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
Certainly not incomparable. Geekbench 6 leaks smugglers the i7 is approx 17percent slower on single core performance of the m3.

And they got an i9 up their sleeve. Don’t get me wrong, I suspect the m3 max will still be laptop performance king, but… it’s certainly not looking to be incomparable. Quite far from it.
You talking desktop CPUs or 135W Intel "laptop" CPUs?

Reactions: bumblebritches5

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
For years, Macs were constrained by Intel processor and they were just “better than average” computers with a great body/screen and MacOS. Now, they’re more incredible than ever.

The MacBook Air is by far the best laptop someone can buy for its price. And there’s nothing like the MBP, no matter the price. Switching to ARM was a really risky move, but it’s been nothing but a triumph. Exciting times in the computer area.

eropko

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2023
For years, Macs were constrained by Intel processor and they were just “better than average” computers with a great body/screen and MacOS. Now, they’re more incredible than ever.

The MacBook Air is by far the best laptop someone can buy for its price. And there’s nothing like the MBP, no matter the price. Switching to ARM was a really risky move, but it’s been nothing but a triumph. Exciting times in the computer area.
"Better than average" is a huge compliment to Intel macbooks. They were bad. They seem even worse now, when we have M, feelsbad for people who bought expensive 2019 i9 a year before evolution.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Yes I think. Meteor Lake will be competition for the M3. Not as powerful but orders of magnitude better than the gap that has existed.

You also have the Arm Snapdragon that is competitive. BTW, I have a new Galaxy Tab 39 ultra. It's a HUGE step up from the S8. I am very surprised by this, actually

The 39 huh?

Meteor Lake will be close at 400W. You let me know how you're going to make that work in a laptop and get back to me.

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020

$1500 hundred for a machine that's comparable to MacBook Pro costing over $3k. There's always been the Apple tax, but it looks like it's been creeping up ever since Intel dropped the ball 10 years ago.
Yes, and that $1500 PC is worth $50 after a year, while the $3000 Mac is worth $2200.
Someone gave me a brand new top spec HP laptop (~$1300 retail)...I've had it listed on craigslist for $150 for 3 weeks. The only response I've gotten was an offer of $80.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Yes, and that $1500 PC is worth $50 after a year, while the $3000 Mac is worth $2200.
Someone gave me a brand new top spec HP laptop (~$1300 retail)...I've had it listed on craigslist for $150 for 3 weeks. The only response I've gotten was an offer of $80.

Yes, I forgot about that. This is actually a considerable factor isn't it. Thanks.

Reactions: Scoob Redux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.