Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On this week's episode of The MacRumors Show, we discuss some of the top features and changes we would like to see in iOS 17.

Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos

Apple is expected to unveil iOS 17 at WWDC in June this year, offering a range of enhancements and new features, such as a next-generation CarPlay experience, changes to Siri, support for sideloading and alternate app stores, support for Apple's mixed-reality headset, and more. We talk through some of the areas where we feel Apple could bring meaningful changes and improvements to the iPhone, with particular attention to generative AI, Spotlight, Siri, Shortcuts, notifications, Apple Music, the Health app, Apple Fitness+, and Control Center.

We also discuss some of the latest news, including the rumored "in-air" typing experience on Apple's mixed-reality headset, the two second-generation headset models that seem to be in the pipeline, and the gradual transition to under-display technologies on the iPhone.

Listen to The MacRumors Show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player. Watch a video version of the show on the MacRumors YouTube channel.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion on the state of AirPods, HomePod, and Apple Music in 2023 and where they could go in the next few years with YouTuber and audio aficionado David Lewis.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for more episodes, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Andru Edwards, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Sara Dietschy, Luke Miani, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, iJustine, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, Jon Rettinger, Rene Ritchie, and Mark Gurman. Remember to rate and review the show, and let us know what subjects you would like the podcast to cover in the future.

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: iOS 17 Wishlist – What Do We Want to See?

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
New ui including new icon and fresh Home Screen, and interactive widgets would be nice, I doubt we are getting anything tho just bug fixes, gonna be a boring year for software updates

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wouldn't mind if they took a year off between major versions, and rewrite the whole OS (frameworks, apps, everything, or at least as much as possible) in Swift, SwiftUI, and Metal. It's their new, great programming language, so put your money where your mouth is. I realize rewriting a whole OS in a new language is labor intensive, but that's why I suggest taking a year off between major releases to do it. Sure, bug fixes in between, but take the time to actually make it great.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Also fix widgets on left homescreen page. Its old widgets & new widgets mixed. Make apps adopt new widgets or let us arrange the new widgets so we can put them down bottom, they stay up top now, above all old widget styles

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Make face id animation always in island.
Fix moving icons on homescreen already. Every time i move icons, full pages get ruined.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Safari need a fullscreen button please 🙏

IMG_3444.PNG

Bobcat32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2020
Ohio
Picture Backgrounds in imessage. And maybe maybe actual live wallpapers for the home screen. Always loved the falling digital matrix rain one on Android.

Last edited:

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Put Location Settings ON|OFF in the Control Center, FFS. It's one of the most used options I can imagine -- been requesting this for years.

• Love
Reactions: Seeds and System603

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Apple also needs to consider bringing back "Landscape Mode" on iPhone. Not sure why they decided to get rid of it. I miss this OS layout.

View attachment 2167674
iPhone users (especially those with Plus/Pro Max) should get landscape due to how giant the phones are nowadays. Some could argue this defeats the point of the iPad, but with the iPhone being Apple's best selling product by far, it would only benefit their market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.