Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TouchArcade's Jared Nelson and Eli Hodapp join us on this week's episode of The MacRumors Show to talk through the current state of gaming in Apple's ecosystem.

TouchArcade is MacRumors' sister site that focuses on iOS gaming. Jared is the website's Editor-in-Chief and host of The TouchArcade Show podcast, while Eli is Jared's predecessor, the founder of iOS gaming subscription service GameClub, and director of mobile publishing at GameMill Entertainment.

We discuss Apple's recent gaming push prompted by the A17 Pro and M3 chip's hardware-accelerated ray-tracing, as well as the arrival of console-level games on Apple platforms like "Resident Evil Village." We look at where Apple has made progress with gaming in recent years and where it still faces limitations, what the company should address to bolster gaming experiences on its devices, and the direction of Apple Arcade. We also consider the gaming potential of Apple's Vision Pro headset and how the new product line could evolve over time.

Listen to more of Jared and Eli over on The TouchArcade Show podcast. The MacRumors Show is now on its own YouTube channel, so head over and subscribe to keep up with new episodes and clips going forward:

You can also listen to The MacRumors Show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Castro, Google Podcasts, or your preferred podcasts app. You can also copy our RSS feed directly into your podcast player.

If you haven't already listened to the previous episode of The MacRumors Show, catch up for our discussion about Apple's "Scary Fast" event and the new Macs it introduced.

Subscribe to The MacRumors Show for new episodes every week, where we discuss some of the topical news breaking here on MacRumors, often joined by exciting guests like Luke Miani, Mike Bell, Sara Dietschy, iJustine, Jon Rettinger, Andru Edwards, Kevin Nether, Arnold Kim, Ben Sullins, Marcus Kane, Christopher Lawley, Frank McShan, David Lewis, Tyler Stalman, Jon Prosser, Sam Kohl, Quinn Nelson, John Gruber, Federico Viticci, Thomas Frank, Jonathan Morrison, Ross Young, Ian Zelbo, and Rene Ritchie.

The MacRumors Show is now on X @MacRumorsShowhttps://twitter.com/macrumorsshow, so be sure to give us a follow to keep up with the podcast. You can also head over to The MacRumors Show forum thread to engage with us directly. Remember to rate and review the podcast, and let us know what subjects and guests... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: The MacRumors Show: Is Apple Finally Taking Gaming Seriously? ft. TouchArcade

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
this is one hell of a juxtaposition in my news feed
IMG_0411.jpeg

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it, namely Apple investing big money into developers and/or buying their own development. Still, it's at least a good step in the right direction, hopefully hardware sales alone can drive some devs to develop. Plus Apple likes to go in slow like they did with Apple TV, so this may be much more of a long term plan including the ultimate slow burn the Vision headsets.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Vision Pro has the potential to be an excellent gaming machine already - just hooking up a PS5/Xbox controller.

The main problem though...is that is for "traditional" gaming, on a flat screen. I'm not sure what the solution for VP will be for more complex games. Hand gestures work for some things but there are just a lot of random controls needed for VR (teleportation, turning, recentering) and for now it looks like those things have just been passed over. It is a bit disappointing considering there isn't another MR headset even close to the vision pro's compute and tracking capabilities.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I think Apple thinks it’s taking gaming seriously.

Post of the year.

Apple likes to pretend it can conjure a lot of things into being true through sheer force of will, or marketing, or heartfelt maudlin aw-shucks earnestness. Words are cheap. Let's see an AppleTV+ style multibillion dollar investment in top-shelf gaming and a pivot away from match 3 trash for the easily distracted. Until then, all of Apple's bleating about how just gosh darn great Apple Silicon is for games is little more than a boring tech demo.

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
There is Proton for Steam, which is great on Linux and could easily run on MacOS and open massive numbers of AAA-games to the Apple ecosystem.

As long as Apple sticks to Metal and abandons Proton/OpenGL/OpenCL and other sytems to raise compatibility the answer is NO.
Next question.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I tried Resident Evil Village on my 12.9 M2 iPad Pro and it sucked. The iPad could handle it well but look-around movement is still lousy like all other games. Gaming will surely be much better on Vision Pro when the user can move his/her/they/them/it/that head to look-around.

Apple needs to get the great games on Vision Pro. Get the upcoming new GTA on Vision Pro.

• Haha
Reactions: toobravetosave

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Apple's issue is they have amazing hardware at this point but almost nobody wants to upgrade as their current M series systems are so fast they can't even see the reason to. Theoretically games could help that problem for Apple to keep selling hardware I think it's never happening and the only realistic future is cloud gaming on Mac(which can be done now with high end Windows games).

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Can someone explain why they would spend an hour listening to this podcast? It would take just minutes if they provided a transcript. Makes it useless for me as I don't have that much time available. Podcasts might be useful if I had a long commute but I don't.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Apple has thrown money at the problem and will look for instant results. When the instant results fail to appear, they will go back to doing nothing about it.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I've watched this since Mac OS 8.x and Game Sprockets.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Can someone explain why they would spend an hour listening to this podcast? It would take just minutes if they provided a transcript. Makes it useless for me as I don't have that much time available. Podcasts might be useful if I had a long commute but I don't.
YouTube provides transcripts.

1699643176737.png

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
“We are starting to see some great games come back to the Mac, but this is one of the coolest I’ve ever seen…

Apple trot out this lie every few years ;)

The only way Mac gaming will ever be a thing again is when devs start supporting Windows 11 ARM, then we’ll all be running Parallels again

Last edited:

Netrox

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2015
Yes, well, if they keep progressing with the same rate of performance with their M Series as evident with their A Series, it will become a threat to any x86 chips and powerful enough to play games especially that their M3 Max cores are faster than ever and can perform as well as M2 Ultra. If that keeps scaling for the next decade, the days of x86 are over and considering that Apple has enough resources to design and build efficient ARM chips, will likely outperform any GPU cards. Just remember, the distance between GPU and CPU is a huge bottleneck. As games become complex, the distance between GPU and CPU needs to get much closer so they can relay data back and forth faster.

Reactions: wazgilbert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.