The Make-Over and Forum Post Attachments

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Huntn, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The new look is nice, with some convienent features.

I am requesting info on forum post attachments and how to manage them. It appears that pre-existing attachments in pre-existing threads are still functional. How will this be managed such as adding new ones and deleting outdated ones? Is this attachment system being retained or phased out?

Thanks!

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

you might have to explain to me how the old system worked. I guess I never delved into the attachment management outside of just attaching files to posts

arn

3. Huntn, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for responding. The old attachment system allowed posters to attach up to 5 images in a post from a url address or from your computer. These images were uploaded to MRs site, the idea was they are not reliant on remaining available at their url address, but held in MRs attachment system.

The new software allows you to:
    1) Use the image button to link to a online image using a url, but is not held on the MRs site.
    2) Use the "Upload a File" button to upload an image from your computer as an attachment. I assume the only attachment management is to remove such an image from a post, no problem. I also like there seems to be no limit on the number of attachments which comes in handy for a guide.

One question could be when an image is removed from a post that was an attachment, does the attachment remain behind stored somewhere on the MR site? The old system allowed you to manage such attachments and delete them if you desired. I see no attachment management options for this new software, available to the user.

However this method can't be used to upload an image from a url to the MRs site. If I understand it correctly, for uploading a file, the only option is to browse your computer, not use a url.

What I'd like to be able to do is continue to upload images from urls, without first having to cycle them through my computer, to be used for a wide variety of posts where illustration can clarify or enrich post content. Thanks! :)

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hi, interesting

Well. two thoughts.

1st. Xenforo has a system where they proxy images. For example

[img]https://www.google.com/images/srpr/logo11w.png[/img]

[​IMG]

This is an external image but if you look at the image url, it's delivered through a macrumors url.

This provide caching of the images, and also prevents cookie stuffing. We set the cache to never expire so effectively, this results in the images being hosted on MR. But that's not a robust system. You could imagine it expiring at some point in the future, and images lost.

There is a plugin we could use: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/convert-image.2521/ that seems to do what you want. I can look into that.

arn

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That looks like that could be the answer. :) I assume it would be something MRs would have built in...

6. Huntn, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Recently I've been involved in a ongoing thread where I upload an image from my computer multiple time because after I upload it, even if I record the attachment number, I can't use the image stored on MRs multiple times. The old system stored such images allowing for multiple usage. In this case, unless there is something I don't understand, I'm uploading and MacRumors is storing this image multiple times, increasing to the bulk of the MRs files.

Am I understanding this correctly? If so, it would be better if the settings were altered so that an attachment uploaded from a personal computer could be used more than once, if that is possible.

Bifur CU Oval.sm4.png An image file like this one. The attachment number is 672736, with attachment brackets. I can use that again in this post as follows. However if I try to use this on a different post, it does not work, just a number with attachment brackets appears like this <ATTACH>672736</ATTACH> (but with real brackets).

Bifur CU Oval.sm4.png

Update: I just experimented in this thread and if I use an existing attachment number in a new post (same thread) a link will appear that allows me to click on it and view the image, but the image will not appear in the new post even in the same thread.