The moment you realize this.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thecore762, Sep 12, 2017.

1. thecore762 macrumors 6502

The new iPhone X is more expensive than the latest iPad+LTE...wow, just wow...

2. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

It's all in the form factor and the processing components. All in the hardware... all in the hardware...

3. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

It's bothering me because I'm a huge Apple fan but they waited years to adapt to OLED then have the audacity to charge more then the s8 which is just as good of a phone in terms of hardware.

Why not launch just the one phone at a lower price. I don't see the justification for such a premium price even given its Apple

4. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Apple had to create a answer to Samsung and other companies. For the past three years, they have been lacking in the design department. I believe they were overthinking and forgot what made Apple so great. It's philosophy of being beautiful, simplistic, and everything working without a single guess has went down the drain. Simply most people would have enjoyed the iPhone X with a rear finger print scanner, no face ID, and no notch in the same body as today's iPhone X. Also, some of us here expected more software enhancements especially on the Home screen. That interface is archaic no matter how bright and colorful you make it.

5. Starfyre, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Hold on there.. I was thinking that too, but remember, Neural Processor in iPhone 8!
    Also look at the benchmarks that don't lie:

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
    Single Core: 2011 Multi-Core: 6720

iPhone X
    Single Core: 4102 Multi-Core: 9613

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3975297

iPhone X has double the performance in the single core, and score much higher on Multi-Core. Hardware comparison, Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus has fingerprint sensor and infinity edge display, but internal performance-wise, Apple is technically literally king.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder if I should wait for the X instead of getting an S8 Plus

6. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

How is the S8 "just as good of a phone in terms of hardware"?? The iPhone X has these clear advantages:
    • WAY faster in all respects
    • Much better build quality
    • Has custom cutting-edge chips throughout
    • 3D Touch
    • Front-facing cameras and face detection hardware is unmatched
    • AR Kit
    • Siri (vs "Bixby" LOL)
    • WAY more secure and protective of privacy
    I could go on.

Look, I'm unhappy about paying more too, but it's my choice. I could stick with my 7 or get an 8 if money is a major issue. But the X looks amazing and for me it handily beats any Samsung.

7. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Agreed with everything you said. I'm frustrated that they knew all along they have been slacking on display. Most all these advantages you mentioned are not what's making the price high. What does this suggest for next year?

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think iPhone X is exactly what I've been looking for an iPhone. Not so much necessarily the form factor, but with the new OLED display and Face ID, I do think those are the two of the best selling points.

9. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

For me it is exactly, with the exception of Touch ID. I want Touch ID AND Face ID.

10. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

By the way what's the difference between OLED V SAMOLED? Another words is the screen Apple finally changed to newest tech or still dated OLED?

11. dojoman macrumors 65816

Read Touch ID is simply unacceptable very un-Apple design. Samsung on the other hand...cram everything and hopes one sticks.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Actually its only more recently (2-3 years) that there has ever been a top tier iPad (iPad Pro 12.9" LTE 512gb $1279) that was more expensive than the top tier iPhone and even now with the iPhone X (246gb $1149) that still remains the case.

When the iPad Air 2 was new you couldn't spend more on an iPad than you could an iPhone. iPad Air 2 LTE 128gb $829 vs iPhone 6 Plus 128gb $949.

Now if you were only talking about the non Pro models....well than this is just business as usual. iPhone has a higher demand and thus a higher price. At least with the iPhone X there are clear things to set it apart without massive omissions, back with the 6 Plus the lines were a little bit blurrier.

13. thecore762 thread starter macrumors 6502

The hardware to me looks to be cheaper, you trying to tell me the hardware made this much price difference, Samsung with the same oled screen and bigger screen is cheaper, the processor is comparable to the Samsung and I'm pretty sure the Samsung has more ram. Oled for phones has been out for a while, so the prices has come down significantly.

Lastly the X will have worse battery life than the 8. I think Face Id will drain the batteries quicker.

14. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I couldn't personally care less about cost comparisons to Samsung products, because I wouldn't buy a phone running Android with Samsung crapware loaded on top under any circumstance.

15. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

And to make it worse, they put a huge notch inside the screen

16. thecore762 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's not all, the Samsung screen is noticeably much brighter than the iPhone X! Double the specs on brightness. MKHB uploaded his video today and also there is skepticism from many people that the Face ID is slow and it's not smooth and the fact they left ProMotion out of the iPhone X speaks volumes, the new iPad looks buttery smooth with the ProMotion and makes me want to get one, this not so much, I think it may have something to do with battery and maybe hardware issues. If they were so confident with the new chip then they would have released in this version, I think next year we will see the Apple ProMotion added to their devices like iPhones and maybe iwatch.

I am not a Samsung fanboy, only smart phones I've ever owned were apple starting from the 3G, never tried any other brand because Android OS is not as good as IOS but Apple has been disappointing the last few years and since Jobs died I think their innovation has too.

The top part camera cut out cuts into full video when watching videos or playing games, that to me its bad design.

17. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Any suggestions that Android is slow and bloated is just so wide of the mark. It's 2017 and Android is an excellent, very efficient OS.

18. ErnstStavroBlohard macrumors member

[​IMG]

You mean this isn't sexy? ;)

19. thecore762 thread starter macrumors 6502

Never said it was slow and bloated, I just said it wasn't as good as iOS.

20. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

21. thecore762 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that looks weird, how about showing us when its playing a video and how ugly things get lol.

22. UKapple macrumors regular

If people insist on paying significantly over the odds for tech that has been out for years then apple is quite literally laughing all the way to the bank! Why people get hung up on geekbench tests is silly, my S8+ runs as smooth as the day it came out of the box, it's real world usage that counts.

Really wished for something special from apple with the X but it's been a total let down and that cut out is just plain ugly.

23. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

It's the stainless steel. There's more of it than in the ss apple watch and that thing is 700. No watch made with good quality stainless steel is below 600....For a watch. Stainless steel is extremely hard to mold. I doubt  will keep it in a mobile device after this just because cost wise it's not making them much money

24. thecore762 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well we shall see how durable it will be when Everything Apple pro releases drop test video. Hoping it actually is an improvement and not just a gimmick.

25. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Lmfao. This sums up everything I hate about the iPhone X in one animation. What a POS.