Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
I am referring to all the mockups, leaks, and graphics for the iPhone 8 with the bezel cutout.
The top cutout display of the iPhone 8 mockups/leaks/dummys are ridiculous and make absolutely no sense except "being different". Looking at some of the mockups included on MacRumors News Posts (and are floating around elsewhere, people need to realize how this design makes absolutely no sense.

Looking at an image like this, which is the same in white in other dummy/dumb mockups.

galaxy_note_8_iphone_7row_mockup.jpg
Notice how the status bar contains the clock on the top left, and the signal, wifi, and battery on the upper right.

Where would bluetooth and other indicators go? What about LTE?
What happens if you have bluetooth on? Where does the bluetooth symbol go? t can't fit in the space around the camera/speaker cutout can it? Can it appear below the clock or the other icons? No, that area is for the home screen or apps. The only other option is to make the top bar scrollable? Which makes no sense and not useful for an indicator to be hidden unless scrolled to.

Manufacturing-wise, it seems like way too much trouble for apple to create such a cutout display that requires the software to behave exceptionally for a odd shaped display with the cutout.
If anything, it would make sense for Apple to take the "Infinity Edge" display approach that the Samsung Galaxy 8 Plus has taken where the screen is still rectangular, and eliminates bezels where possible (but maybe Samsung has a patent on it already?).

There is not enough reward for making such a custom-shaped display.
No one is going to copy that irregular, senseless display.

Unless those areas of the display get used for something else (maybe two big buttons) or a "touchbar-esque" interface where different shortcuts can be displayed or indicators for games that may make more sense. Though the status bar as we know it should stay in the rectangular section below the bezel cutout effectively making two "ears" that emerge out of the standard rectangular display.

No matter how you rationalize it, it is strange, silly, makes almost no sense... though it does make us "Think Different", though not for the wrong reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple announcement shows a brand new iPhone 8 that does not look anything like the mockup and maintains a rectangular display (maybe as a Tim Cook getting to think/say "ha leakers, I got you" sort of act.

Unless there is a different purpose of the bezel cutout, today's leaks make no sense and from a human factors standpoint, do not support even current needs of any display.

v53wIaA.gif

Last edited:

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
You probably will tap the status bar to show other things or adapt what is shown.

The new phone will look similar to that render; the intelligence and pre-launch renders are usually correct this days.

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
You probably will tap the status bar to show other things or adapt what is shown.

The new phone will look similar to that render; the intelligence and pre-launch renders are usually correct this days.

I too would be astonished now if it turns out there isn't some sort of cut out because of all the leaks etc though quite how it will work nobody knows for sure.

Right now I do think it looks extremely inelegant and the OP is right to say that Samsung's approach looks a lot nicer than the mock-ups we have seen of the new iPhone. However, they are just mock-ups - I really believe Apple will come up with a more refined and elegant way to make it work.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I am referring to all the mockups, leaks, and graphics for the iPhone 8 with the bezel cutout.
The top cutout display of the iPhone 8 mockups/leaks/dummys are ridiculous and make absolutely no sense except "being different". Looking at some of the mockups included on MacRumors News Posts (and are floating around elsewhere, people need to realize how this design makes absolutely no sense.

Looking at an image like this, which is the same in white in other dummy/dumb mockups.

galaxy_note_8_iphone_7row_mockup.jpg
Notice how the status bar contains the clock on the top left, and the signal, wifi, and battery on the upper right.

Where would bluetooth and other indicators go? What about LTE?
What happens if you have bluetooth on? Where does the bluetooth symbol go? t can't fit in the space around the camera/speaker cutout can it? Can it appear below the clock or the other icons? No, that area is for the home screen or apps. The only other option is to make the top bar scrollable? Which makes no sense and not useful for an indicator to be hidden unless scrolled to.

Manufacturing-wise, it seems like way too much trouble for apple to create such a cutout display that requires the software to behave exceptionally for a odd shaped display with the cutout.
If anything, it would make sense for Apple to take the "Infinity Edge" display approach that the Samsung Galaxy 8 Plus has taken where the screen is still rectangular, and eliminates bezels where possible (but maybe Samsung has a patent on it already?).

There is not enough reward for making such a custom-shaped display.
No one is going to copy that irregular, senseless display.

Unless those areas of the display get used for something else (maybe two big buttons) or a "touchbar-esque" interface where different shortcuts can be displayed or indicators for games that may make more sense. Though the status bar as we know it should stay in the rectangular section below the bezel cutout effectively making two "ears" that emerge out of the standard rectangular display.

No matter how you rationalize it, it is strange, silly, makes almost no sense... though it does make us "Think Different", though not for the wrong reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple announcement shows a brand new iPhone 8 that does not look anything like the mockup and maintains a rectangular display (maybe as a Tim Cook getting to think/say "ha leakers, I got you" sort of act.

Unless there is a different purpose of the bezel cutout, today's leaks make no sense and from a human factors standpoint, do not support even current needs of any display.
So poorly photoshopped software layouts are angering you?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Personally I think the cutout on top looks like crap. But I have obviously not seen it in person. I am hoping all the reports are wrong and there is no cutout.

It may not be appealing, but at least if it exist, it will be blended into the display, which won't be as Noticeable. Aside from that, the whole point of the notch is to maximize the display.

Last edited:

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
It's funny that each year, some physical feature of the new iPhone looks "hideous" (antenna bands, camera bump, etc.), but we end up buying it anyway. I've never found any one feature of the iPhone to be particularly hideous, anyway.
[doublepost=1504370211][/doublepost]
all of you that do not like the design, and think it is "Horrible"--easy peasy--don't buy it.

Most of them will still be up early in the morning on preorder day, mashing those buttons. :D

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
To be honest, I don't think that it looks as good as other "bezel less" phones on the market, but I wouldn't say that it looks bad. I'm far more concerned with how it will compensate for the lack of a home button.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
To be honest, I don't think that it looks as good as other "bezel less" phones on the market, but I wouldn't say that it looks bad. I'm far more concerned with how it will compensate for the lack of a home button.
With gestures. Which has been supported for years already. Are you that hard wired for a button or a pseudo-button?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
With gestures. Which has been supported for years already. Are you that hard wired for a button or a pseudo-button?

Using a button certainly seems a lot more intuitive and convenient. I look forward to the keynote where they'll demonstrate how navigating the UI will work. Right now it's still just rumours. There could be a virtual home button after all.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Yeah that cut out at the top is fugly. Apple use to be at the top of their game when it came to smartphone design, but I feel like they're falling behind now.

They should have just made a straight black bezel at the top without that goody chunk of bezel in the middle.

Reactions: shr631

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
What about the lopsided camera bump on the back? Apple doesn't care what you think.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Every human being who has used an iPhone is LITERALLY hard-wired for a Button-pressed Home Button. By literally I mean literally the synapses in the brain have built connections due to the physiological mechanisms of memory retention. So, without a doubt a change like this will be profoundly and inherently difficult to grasp at first. That's the reality. I think it can and will be grown accustomed to, but simply put, it is by far the most courageous thing Apple has ever done, and likely will ever do.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Using a button certainly seems a lot more intuitive and convenient. I look forward to the keynote where they'll demonstrate how navigating the UI will work. Right now it's still just rumours. There could be a virtual home button after all.

Pressing a button or swiping anyplace on the screen. It will take some getting used to. The bright side is they don't have to delegate screen real estate for a button. Like Amdroid phones.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Personally I love the new design and I love the fact the bezel is tiny around the whole screen bar the cutout. I think the Samsung design looks **** but mainly because I hate the curves sides.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Sounds like somebody is in extreme denial currently.
"I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple announcement shows a brand new iPhone 8 that does not look anything like the mockup and maintains a rectangular display" lol.

Thats the iPhone design lump it or leave it man.

Now the bloomberg article states
"Because of limited space, the status bar could change based on the task at hand, according to a person familiar with the testing."

Furthermore the code in the HomePod firmware suggests the status bar could dynamic which basically adds credibility to Bloombergs source.

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
I always buy my phones based off how they perform for me. The cutout or not cutout I could care less about.

How much less could you care? ;)

That cutout won't be there on the final build. I would bet just about anything on that. It does look hideous and would be really stupid of Apple to have on their new flagship phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.