Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
In more headline news, NASA scientists were amazed to discover no Irony on the Internet. That's true folks, there is no Irony online.

(Seriously, you read the Apollo 11 line, and still thought I was serious? :p )

Sorry. :eek: Given the amount of anti-science, anti-fact religious types we get on this site, I guess it wasn't that much of a stretch. Sad, isn't it?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Sorry. :eek: Given the amount of anti-science, anti-fact religious types we get on this site, I guess it wasn't that much of a stretch. Sad, isn't it?

:) To be fair, most arguments are probably more social (all about "winning") than factual (being "right"), unfortunately. No religion is required for that. But that's a whole other thread.

As an aside, am I the only one who reads these various scientific articles, and thinks - based on a 2 minute perusal of an article/issue - I can solve a scientific problem which people have spent their entire careers trying to solve, and failing? :D

For example, I recently read an article where 'scientists' (don't know the correct "..ologist" for this one!) were puzzled when the sea level in the Arctic Ocean dropped very slightly, in spite of the ice cap melting. But I thought, isn't that obvious? The Moon's gravity is only going to cause a minute daily wobble in the solid ice-cap as the Earth rotates, but if that ice melts the gravity would displace more water down to lower latitudes. So, lower sea levels in the Arctic, higher (or more extreme) tides further South.

Or how singularities are only found in two places, at the Big Bang or in Black Holes.. Could it be they are the same? A Big Bang is the other end of a Black Hole, with the matter being drawn from the Black Hole being expelled into the new universe being created at the other end. (All of which, of course, presupposes the existence of a multiverse).

Yes, these are wildly hypothetical theories based entirely on utterly superficial understanding of the facts and forces involved. I don't care, reality is overrated anyway.

p.s. The water on the moon was caused by me, aged 7, firing my water pistol in the air in celebration at my birthday, and it never came down. The only reasonable explanation is that the moon caught it, and it's still there. Sorry NASA. :eek:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I am curious why checking for water wasn't one of the experiments the last time people had visited it. I suppose they had a lot of to and there wasn't time, or one of those theories about the moon trip, or the equipment they had couldn't do the test and they need explosives.

I am sort of disappointed the future space craft look a lot like the 60's. No Tie-Fighters or Star Trek fictional craft designs were ever copied or inspired NASA for exploring the stars. Oh well.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Where's william sire? I want to unlearn more science.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.