The mouse is barbaric old tech. Ditch it now and join the modern world.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Macmamamac, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Macmamamac, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

Macmamamac macrumors regular

The mouse is an old and obsolete way of navigating a desktop computer. Its inferior in every way to a tablet/pencil(stylus).

I urge all iMac users to ditch the mouse immediately and replace it with a tablet/pencil.

For those who have never used a tablet/pencil before, the basic thing to consider is that the active area on the tablet exactly matches the screen size of the iMac ( or any desktop ) itself.

This means that if you move your pencil to the edge of the active area on your tablet, the cursor on the iMac screen moves to the edge too. Your cursor movement exactly mirrors the movement of your hand.

In other words a tablet/pencil COMPLETELY ELIMINATES the annoying and energy sapping process of dragging your hand/finger multiple times to achieve a function. One small flick of the wrist is all it takes to move from A to B.

The pencil also hovers above the tablet active area. This means you can move the cursor without the pencil touching the active area. This means selecting, double clicking or dragging files/folders COMPLETELY ELIMINATES the need to apply pressure when you do these tasks. All you have to do is tap the tablet active area with the pencil.

HAND TENDONS WILL LOVE YOU FOR DITCHING THE MOUSE!

The only downside to a tablet/pencil setup is that it takes a fews days to get used to it. But, once you do get used to it, the mouse just seems barbaric.

Here is a photo of my setup ( trackpad alongside the keyboard not essential but i recommend it ):

IMG_3995 (1).jpg

For those interested this is the best way to do it. Whatever you do, do not place the tablet in front of the iMac. The tablet should be a direct replacement for the mouse on the right or left hand side. I have mine slanted but it will be different for everyone. ( Reason my tablet is so large is because i am a graphics professional. Non graphics professionals will be just fine with a smaller tablet. )

To end this rant, i will say please just give this a try. Give yourself a few days to acclimatise and i promise that you will never use a mouse ever again.

Combine a tablet/pencil with the magic trackpad 2 and you have the dream navigation set up. ( Magic Trackpad 2 is for scrolling and force touch options with your weaker hand. )

EDIT:

Its a Wacom Intuos Pro medium in the photo.

2. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Barbaric, meaning savagely cruel. Using a mouse is savagely cruel - really? Keep taking the tablets. :rolleyes:

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Why?

What does it matter to you if I, or anyone else, chooses to use a mouse for their computing needs?

I like and prefer a mouse on my desk. I have a Magic trackpad, and the built in trackpad on my MacBook Pro, but I still prefer the mouse because I am more efficient using it over the trackpads.

4. Macmamamac thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not saying the trackpad is better than the mouse. I'm saying the tablet is. ( Although, if you don't have a tablet, the Apple Trackpad 2 has to be the next best thing )

And by barbaric i just mean ancient and uncouth. The mouse is a terrible way to navigate around a computer in the 21st century.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's clearly your opinion and that's cool.

However, I disagree and feel, for my needs, the mouse is a better tool to use.

6. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

I am happy with a mouse.
    It is fast for me, it is efficient, I get **** done with it.

But each to their own, I guess.

7. Macmamamac thread starter macrumors regular

Whatever your needs are, a tablet is a better way to navigate around than a mouse is.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

9. kazibole macrumors member

"Jack of all trades, master of none". While a tablet (or trackpad) will be superior for certain tasks, a mouse will still be superior for others. I use both, it depends on the task.

10. Macmamamac thread starter macrumors regular

There are no tasks a mouse is better at. Give me an example?

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't think you're seeing the point we're making. You're passing off your opinion as a fact. It is not a fact that one device is better than another. What is the best, however, is what works best for the individual.

Back off the absolutes and folks will be more receptive to your argument.

12. oldmacs macrumors 68040

In your opinion.

I much prefer a mouse over a graphics tablet.

13. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Obviously, the OP has zero concept of ergonomics.- From gross motor skills to fine articulation.

Moving one's hand away from the keyboard to a mouse or similar device (trackball or touch pad) takes far less effort and usually time than to acquire a stylus of any sort and shift to a tablet.

As someone who works with a touchpad (laptop), trackball (Kensington) and a Wacom Intuos (and previously a Cintiq)...for regular navigation by a typical user, the OP does them a huge disservice with the comment.

14. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I was doing this ten years ago and it led to pain and possible damage to tendons and nerves. All better now that I use a mouse.

If you really want efficiency, learn to use the keyboard. Shortcuts are the quickest way to get anywhere.

15. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I agree and remember well a known test between office workers who used Word Perfect (with keyboard shortcuts) vs this over rated GUI software "Word." Word Perfect users were, as I recall, 5:1 more efficient and no tired wrists, hands or fingers. However, there is a time and place for each cursor tool. I find that keyboard shortcuts (well placed) are fastest and easiest, then trackball/mouse and last is the tablet. The latter I use for graphic work.

16. jgo78 macrumors 6502

another great post by the guy who needs 8k screen right away because he sees dots!!

17. Macmamamac, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

Macmamamac thread starter macrumors regular

Rubbish, because one of the main advantages of a tablet is that you never have to click anything.

With a tablet you never have to use your tendons to drag anything, you just lightly tap and drag.

A mouse, or even a trackpad if used exclusively, is completely damaging to the tendons.

18. Nospig macrumors member

First tablet was in 1957 I believe, hardly new tech.
    I tried it years ago and couldn't get on with it at all, don't really like trackpads either. As a software developer my hands are on the keyboard 90% of the time, learn your shortcuts people!

19. Macmamamac, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2015

Macmamamac thread starter macrumors regular

Do you put your stylus down when you type? Because if you do...........

I agree, but there are no shortcuts to move the cursor and drag folders.

The basic function of moving the cursor and dragging files/folders with a tablet is so much more natural and easier with a tablet.

20. Nospig macrumors member

Like I said I'm a software developer, moving the cursor is done with the arrow keys, page up, end, home (full size keyboard of course) :)

21. burne macrumors 6502

burne

You are out of your effing mind. I have them all. Magic Touchpad, Wacom with a pen, Wacom touch, Myo armband, a Leap Motion detector, even a hacked-and-patched Kinect.

Guess what I use day-to-day? Because it works.

22. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

I prefer touchpad over a mouse! But I'd keep my mouse for FPS gaming.

23. iTurbo macrumors member

I've been using the Magic Trackpad since I got my iMac over 2 years ago and haven't used a mouse since. Love it.

24. oldmacs macrumors 68040

In your opinion. I find it unnatural and annoying. Much prefer a trackpad or mouse.