The New iPad delivered!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Mar 8, 2012.

?

Your take on the new iPad. Thumbs up or down?

1. The new iPad DELIVERED

93.7%
  2. The new iPad DISAPPOINTED

6.3%
  1. MacAttacka, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Listing the key enhancements over previous models.

- Retina Display
    - 1GB Ram (most likely)
    - 5MP Camera
    - 1080p Video
    - Quad core gaming muscle.

For those that care
    -4G LTE

Stop reading for a second. Put your crazy pre-show expectations aside. Absorb that spec. Its is a BIG improvement over the already excellent iPad 2. Before hand, a mere retina and more ram alone would have sealed the deal for me.

The display & ram in iPad 2 were my biggest bug bears. Ofcourse everyone will complain about lack of facetime HD, no 8MPcamera, no quad CPU, no A6, no 128GB but were any of us expecting $1000+ features in a $499 device? The screen alone would sell the product to 95% of its new owners regardless. The rest are just freebies handed out by Apple. We know this and Apple know this.

Software? Wow, just wow. Forget everything you read in the live blogs and papers about the wonderful new iPad, just check out the software tech demo. It is truly mind blowing.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/123pibhargjknawdconwecown/event/index.html

So Im sold. I hated the original iPad. The second really won me over and the third is the dream come true. There is very little room left for improvement now.

So do you believe the new iPad delivered?

2. bjmach macrumors 6502

3. iDrew87 macrumors member

It has DELIVERED for me! :) I put off buying the first iPad and then almost bought the 2nd but didn't. Now pre ordered the 3rd Gen because of Retina and just think it will be a brilliant! first tablet to enjoy very much :)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Somehow I thought this thread involved FedEx...

5. applefan289 macrumors 68000

The new iPad definitely delivered...this was about double the excitement of the 4S event.

There was something about the 4S update that seemed lacking...not sure what it was.

6. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Not at $499 price point with a retina screen and 1GB ram this year. Just compare and contract with the PS Vita. That along with a few misguided Android tablets are the only alternatives and just look how well theyre selling.

----------

The new iPad was the same leap over the previous models that the iPhone 4 was over 3GS. Whatever goes into the iPad 4 its not going to have the same impact as this. I'd only buy a newer model for more storage as I have gigs and gigs of comics, books and photos. I can see myself now skipping these devices once every gen now.

----------

I just wondered whether they few people who voted it a disappointment would care to explain their opinion. Just curious about what it was that failed them.

7. applefan289 macrumors 68000

8. pettifogger06 macrumors member

Probably six months of mock ups showing radical redesigns. The expectations of the iPad upgrade were very modest until the very end when the tactile buzz began.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Only thing I was expecting was a boost for the front camera but not too fussed. More storage as standard would have been nice but not needed.

10. packsherpah macrumors newbie

I think you are all mistaken. The iPad 3 is great but...

Karl "The Mailman" Malone delivers.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Everything I was hoping for, can't wait ti get my hands on mine...I'm actually going to buy the top end drawing package and do a lot more.

That screen is awesome....I have already forgotten the fact that Apple didn't give us a 128GB version, and the pricing? Who can complain about that. All good here!

12. ThatsMeRight, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I don't really know, to be honest.

My brains and logic tell me this is a solid upgrade, definitely compared to the iPad 1 (I still own an iPad 1), but my heart says: "Is this all?"

I'm sure I'm really going to love the retina display, but I don't think I'm going to use the camera that much let alone record videos in 1080p. Voice Dictation isn't available in my language so that's just useless for me. Apple completely ignored Europe regarding LTE so that's absolutely useless. That leaves the A5X processor.

I think that's what I'm the most disappointed about is the A5X chip and iOS 5.1.

Last year, iOS 4.2 brought us tons of new features including, but not limited to:
    - Multitasking
    - Airplay
    - Heavily improved Safari browser, much faster
    - Folders
    - Multitasking tray
    -- Volume control
    -- Brightness control
    -- iPad orientation lock / mute
    - And more

All iOS 5.1 brought us was the camera icon on the lockscreen (no need for double click home button) and improved Siri.

So I think that's one of the things I'm disappointed about... Apple has never done so little with software when new hardware was launched. The iPad has always had some great new features and the iPhone always ships with a completely new iOS version.

The iPad 3 is a solid upgrade and it is both exciting and disappointing.

The retina display is a great upgrade, the improved camera is nice, but voice dictation is only reaching a limited audience, the A5X chip is rather disappointing and they screwed up with LTE.

These are the things I think Apple should have added (or done differently):

- Cameras
    The rear camera has drastically been improved, which is great but I'm disappointed they did nothing with the front facing camera. I expected at least a slight bump so we could now do FaceTime HD or even Skype in HD.

- Voice Dictation
    I can see how this is a great, nice addition for some countries, but for most countries it's useless. Apple should really add more languages this year.

- LTE
    It's great that Apple has finally added LTE support, but I do believe they made one huge mistake here: by focusing solely on the American market. There are some, great LTE networks in Europe - even better than in the United States - but the iPad 3 is offering zero support.

- A5X chip
    It does the job, but that's it. I was expecting more. I was expecting the usual bump on speed. I expected Apple to either move to the Cortex A15 architecture (same clockspeeds, but huge performance gains) or at least bump the clockspeeds a little bit.

- iOS software
    Apple always gives us some great new iOS software, but this time... nope.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pfff, too much text. Long story short: it's a solid upgrade, but it was not great.

I voted for "The new iPad DISAPPOINTED!"

Why? Well, as I said, there are some great improvements, but there are also screw-ups. Voice Dictation is great, except for the fact that a large amount of users can't use it. LTE is great, except for the fact that it does not work in Europe.

Furthermore, I expected more from the A5X chip: the A5X chip is created to push 4 times as many pixels, with the same fluidity as on the iPad 2. And that's just it. It only exists to 'keep up'. The clockspeed should have gone up or they should have moved to the Cortex A15 architecture.

And the last 'mistake' is that they didn't upgrade the front facing camera. I'd rather have a decent 2 megapixel front facing camera that does HD video calls and the same 720p rear facing camera like found on the iPad.

So, again in short, the iPad 3 offers some great new functionality, but it also misses: they added LTE, but ignored a complete market. They gave us voice dictation, but they are still unable to support many more languages. The A5X chip is an improvement, but it doesn't exceed the iPad 2 regarding CPU performance. The rear camera upgrade is great, but we still can't do HD video calls. iOS 5.1 is stable, but it doesn't give us anything new.

And that's just it.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There's no perfect device.

Any kind of improvements, place the new model ahead of the iPad 2, and that's what sells them.

14. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

all the things that were "missing" will probably show up in the 4 and then he will talk about how amazing those features are. Of course we will fall for it...again lol. The camera snub is a bit annoying as it sounds like the 5MP is the original 4's camera from the specs. I was really hoping for the 128gb @ 699 to make the decision easier. 699 for 64gb is the real disappointment IMO.

15. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

1 - The iPad 4 will probably have most of those features, some more some less.
    2 - The iPad 4 hype machine will carry people away with incredible and impossible expectations.
    3 - The iPad 4 will disappoint everyone on some level despite delivering so much.

Apple know the Retina screen will sell the device so why give away the 8MP camera and Siri and possibly canibalise iPhone 4S sales too? They position their devices for minimal overlap and want you to buy them all.

Anyone whose followed Apple of the last few years knows the Apple game. They treat us mean and keep us keen. Its all part of the tease, suspense, surprise, disappointment, delight that comes with being an Apple consumer.

16. stevelam macrumors 65816

skipped ipad 1 and 2. didn't see the point. then my gf got an ipad 2 and i was hooked.

pre-ordered ipad 3 and cant wait!

17. bjmach macrumors 6502

What exactly does a retina display have to do with graphics. Please do explain

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

19. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

This is a good point has battery length decreased w all these improvements ?

They also made it thicker so it better last 16 hours now instead of the approx 10 w the ipad2. I'm not complaining bc 10hrs is a huge amount of time but it wouldn't hurt if you could go 2 days w out charging ESP since it takes forever to charge.

20. jddar macrumors regular

jddar

Ha! How gullible am I? I thought someone had theirs delivered already. :eek:

21. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Although its 70% bigger there is no real increase over the iPad 2. Just goes to show what a sheer drain the retina is

22. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

Or UPS...either way, I can't help but feel cheated.:confused:

23. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

On iOS 5.1 - it wasn't really a features update, you will see that this summer.

With iPad one you had 3.2, after iPad 2 we got 4.2. The thing is, the iPad was playing catchup with iOS for iPhone at that point. The iPhone had 4.0 for months before the iPad was updated.

After 4.2 though, the iPad finally "caught up". Now iOS is fully united and will get one major features update per year, in the summer, just like OS X is beginning to do.

The only exception would be in the case of an iPad having a new hardware feature that requires new software, which is not the case this year.

24. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleHaters are always confused and can never help but feel cheated.

25. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

I think it delivered. What I'd really love to see is a keyboard accessory for the iPad akin to the Transformer Prime. They can merge the MBA and iPad into a single device with long battery life, instant power on time with support from a whole slew of apps from the app store. It'd be the perfect tool for the average college student!