The new iPad plays HD MKV files perfectly!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ImperialX, Mar 17, 2012.

1. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

I just got my new iPad yesterday. While I didn't get it expecting it to be able to play the MKV files I have without conversion, I got pleasantly surprised when I tried some for fun today in AVPlayerHD!

I've always had to rely on Air Video and Handbreak in converting the my MKV files to playback on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. It was so tiresome I just got a Galaxy S2. You may remember me posting a thread about it before, complaining about the iPhone 4's inability to decode this format. I think that thread got me at least 100 downvotes...

So I made this thread to tell fellow anime fans still on the fence about the new iPad - it will play all your 720p anime you get in MKV, 8-bit and even 10-bit, with ASS subs without a problem! Here is a video of myself demoing it below!

There goes my final reason of keeping my Android devices. They're going to TradeMe and luckily before the Galaxy S3 gets announced next month!

2. Rogue. macrumors regular

AVPlayerHD is the reason why, iPad will not natively play it.

But, yes, very cool. I purchased AVPlayerHD yesterday as well to save having to convert media via Air Video etc :D

The only slight annoyance is having to load the media onto the iPad first.

3. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Yes, I know. AVPlayerHD wasn't able to handle some 10-bit/720p files properly with my iPad 2, so I wasn't holding my breath. But the new iPad just handled everything like butter. :)

4. Rogue. macrumors regular

Ahh, understood :)

5. IvanX macrumors 6502

What about non-cartoon MKVs? For example, a "scene" release of a recent US TV show? We're talking about 2-3 Mbit h264 video with 6-channel ac3 audio.

6. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

If you're willing to PM me something you want me to test, then feel free to. However, I can confirm that as long as it's h.264 I haven't seen something that failed to work yet.

And to be blunt, the TV show and movie "scene" is quite a lot behind when compared to the anime scene. Most of them are still on their XviDs and I haven't seen a single group release anything in hi10p, and those files are more likely to cause problems than say, a 2-3 mbit h.264 file.

7. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

My iPad 2 runs them fine with AVPlayerHD.

What you guys really want is GPU decoding of these files, as it uses much less battery. AVPlayerHD is using CPU decoding which is battery intensive. You can get by that via Jailbreaking, e.g. XBMC does GPU dec.

8. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

This is true, but I can also say the new iPad is doing pretty well with AVPlayerHD. The battery seems to be holding up very well, only dropping about 6% in 30 minutes of playback.

9. EarlZ macrumors regular

I've been watching Simpsons season 21 to 23 on a friend's Ipad2 its in 720p and MKV format under AVplayerHD as well and it always stutters a few seconds in the intro where the scene kinda zooms in, maybe if you have time to grab 1 episode from season 21 and test it out ?

10. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

As I said, I owned an iPad 2 and I know it wasn't smooth. Even with the iPhone 4S, it wasn't smooth sometimes. That's why I had to convert them with Air Video or Handbreak. The new iPad hasn't had any problems with any 720p MKVs I threw at it yet so I'm pretty sure it will work.

11. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

I've been recommending this Mac apps to everyone I can I'm starting to look as an spammer lol.

With these apps you can demux and remux the video from h264 mkv to h264 mp4 in seconds, without loosing any bit of video quality:

http://itunes.com/mac/iflicks
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/roadmovie/id408218908?mt=12

They are 100% compatible with the iPad or apple tv, no jailbreak or extra apps needed, just works with the built in video player of every iOS device

12. silversun macrumors newbie

silversun

I love anime :D.
    How's the image quality, cause 720p is only about half of the Ipad 3's resolution
    Have you tried playing 1080p on it yet, is it any different compared to 720p (maybe silly but the screen is small after all:D)

13. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

There is a difference, but both are upscaled anyway so they don't look as good as crisp as say, text on the retina display.

14. Jameswma macrumors newbie

I would love to see 1080p movie files. Mine was really choppy.

15. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I looked into these tools and IMHO it's the way to go over MKV on the mobile devices. The iPhone 4S and the new iPad have no problem with 1080p m4v files. Even massive conversions like Avatar at 1080p weighing in at 12GB are butter smooth on the new iPad.

16. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I use GPlayer got it for free a while back. Awesome app. I like it better than AVPlayer and it's universal.

17. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

How do i download AVPlayerHD? Never heard of it. And how do i add mkv videos to the ipad?

18. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Thanks, I'll definitely try those out.

19. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Can this stream from my windows shared drive?

This has always been a major limitation of the iPad IMO

20. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

What's the best ripper for (gasp) Windows 7? I love Apple and all, but my Lenovo W520 with it's FHD screen owns.

Don't troll. I know some of you secretly use Windows...

21. IvanX macrumors 6502

Search for it in the App Store. Add files using standard file sharing through iTunes or over wifi.

22. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Did you use AVplayerHD to watch the 1080P videos?

23. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

No shame here! I'm bi-platform!

I've used, for many years, the combination of ANYDVD HD and CLONEDVD (or CLONEDVD mobile), and have recently been trying out rippers for Blu-rays, but have not been happy with what I've found.

Definitely need ANYDVD HD, but I'd like a good recommendation for a blu-ray ripper.

----------

Also, I bought AVplayerHD today, and loaded up a couple of short 1080p, very high quality clips, and it's nothing short of spectacular!

I wish my AVplayerHD purchase would allow me to download the AVplayer version (iPhone/iPod) but alas, it'll cost me another 3 bucks to do so.

So far, I like it. :)

24. oli356 macrumors 6502

Mine was as well,avplayer 1080p film.

25. Skika macrumors 68030

this is great news! I cant wait for friday :).

Oh an OP, i think KMB is cool, i really enjoy it.