Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter_M

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2018
Logic Pro 10.7 supports Apple Silicon, so there is a clear and direct migration path for those running earlier versions of Logic Pro X on Intel Mac hardware.
OK, but I fail to see your point. In reality, hardly anyone uses Logic Pro alone without 3rd party plug-ins, which is the REAL issue why many people (myself included) still prefer to use Intel Macs for the time being. But you've already made this argument earlier in the thread, if you remember? Or maybe you're just subtly trolling me, I dunno.

We are clearly both fans of Apple to an extent, but I'm simply calling out obvious BS from Apple, and you're not. That's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions. I'm just not into making excuses for a trillion dollar company, who is making the lives of its DAW users needlessly complicated.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I thought you couldn't go to an older OS.

How would I go to an older OS?
You can download it and then make a USB boot drive. Just follow the instructions on that page I linked. It’s all there. They even provide a link to instructions how make a bootable installer.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
OK, but I fail to see your point. In reality, hardly anyone uses Logic Pro alone without 3rd party plug-ins, which is the REAL issue why many people (myself included) still prefer to use Intel Macs for the time being. But you've already made this argument earlier in the thread, if you remember? Or maybe you're just subtly trolling me, I dunno.

And I expect my response back then is the same as it is now - it is the responsibility of those vendors to make their plug-ins compatible with the Apple Silicon version of Logic Pro since Apple made their intentions clear over two years ago and laid out a roadmap of when they intended to end production of Intel Macs (which has now happened with the exception of the top-end and bottom end models - the Pro and the mini).

So if I was in your situation, I would be upset at those vendors for not updating for Apple Silicon. Only if Apple was deliberately denying those vendors access to the APIs they need, or had deprecated APIs they used with the Intel version and not provided a replacement for Apple Silicon would I be pointing the finger at Apple.

We are clearly both fans of Apple to an extent, but I'm simply calling out obvious BS from Apple, and you're not. That's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions. I'm just not into making excuses for a trillion dollar company, who is making the lives of its DAW users needlessly complicated.

What you see as "BS" I see an "unreasonable customer demands". To me, it is like people demanding in 1994 that Apple continuing to update 68K Macs with Motorola 68060s after the move to PowerPC or in 2006 demanding Apple update PowerPC Macs to POWER6 family CPUs when they moved to Intel "because new versions of the existing chips are available".

macOS was saddled with the Carbon APIs for years because vendors like Adobe dragged their arses moving their codebase to Cocoa. And one certainly cannot claim Adobe lacked the financial or human resources to migrate their code.

Last edited:

Steve156

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
Let us know how you get on! I keep umming and ahing about the Mac Studio. It's a tough call here in Europe, given the price of every Mac will likely rise in price by a significant amount alongside any newly released Macs.
I’ve been following this thread with bated breath and second guessing the M2/M2pro mini release scenarios.

I finally came to the conclusion that with new product price rises and the inevitable exchange rate rises in the UK, which I expect to be sizeable in their own right, I was going to be looking north of £1500 for an M2 mini with at least 24GB RAM. I’m also not convinced it won’t still be a little light on ports, meaning I need to factor in an external hub.

So with that in mind I bit the bullet and ordered a base Max Studio from the Apple refurbished store for £1799, which given I suspect the Studio will get an exchange rate increase in the near future felt like a small premium from what I was originally planning.

I’m happy with 512ssd as my working Lightroom files and catalogue are on an external ssd as I’ll need to access it on my MBP also.

I know there’s some debate over the increased chance of picking up someone’s returned whining fan but as long as it harmonises with my tinnitus I’ll give it a go.

Let us know how you get on! I keep umming and ahing about the Mac Studio. It's a tough call here in Europe, given the price of every Mac will likely rise in price by a significant amount alongside any newly released Macs.

well from an aesthetics and initial setup point of view, I can’t see how it differs from brand new. I’ve not used it in anger as yet but so far it’s been spot on. If there is any whine, i can’t hear it.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I thought you couldn't go to an older OS.

How would I go to an older OS?
You can install the oldest OS, that originally came with that machine.

The Mac mini 2014, when it was sold, came with the following OSes:
OS X 10.10 Yosemite
OS X 10.11 El Capitan
macOS 10.12 Sierra
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
macOS 10.14 Mojave (released in June 2018, months before the Mac mini 2018 was announced)
for macOS 10.15 Catalina, I am not sure, but the refurb models in the Apple Store could come with it a year later

So, technically you could install Yosemite on any Mac mini 2014, if it wasn't limited by Apple in any (software) way.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Given that the Euro is weak to the US dollar that is largely a given though where in Europe one is sets the bar.

For example, the base Mini, $699 right now, is € 819,00 in Italy (€ 153 VAT), 777 € in Luxembourg (VAT not stated on Apple's web site), and 799.00 € in France (€ 134.00 VAT) and Germany (€ 139,00 VAT) — note these prices include VAT legal charges while US prices don't include that and the taxes vary wildly.

If you take out the VAT (to Normalize the base cost) much of the EU was getting a mini for a far cheaper base than we in the states were as that ~665 € base works to be US $ 650.

Don't blame Apple for your currency exchange rate getting worse and Apple deciding you should pay closer to the base we in the US do.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: gusping

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Given that the Euro is weak to the US dollar that is largely a given though where in Europe one is sets the bar.

For example, the base Mini, $699 right now, is € 819,00 in Italy (€ 153 VAT), 777 € in Luxembourg (VAT not stated on Apple's web site), and 799.00 € in France (€ 134.00 VAT) and Germany (€ 139,00 VAT) — note these prices include VAT legal charges while US prices don't include that and the taxes vary wildly.

If you take out the VAT much of the EU was getting a mini for a far cheaper base than we in the states were as that ~665 € base works to be US $ 650.

Don't blame Apple for your currency exchange rate getting worse and Apple deciding you should pay closer to the base we in the US do.
I have never fully blamed Apple (see previous posts). I agree with what you have said. What I will say is, for those in Euope, Apple’s USD to EUR or GBP exchange rate is worse than many other companies.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I have never fully blamed Apple (see previous posts). I agree with what you have said. What I will say is, for those in Euope, Apple’s USD to EUR or GBP exchange rate is worse than many other companies.
I don't know as exchange rates tend to drift and if your predictions show a weakening exchange rate than it makes perfect logic to go for the rate you think it will be in the future.

Last edited:

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Who buys a Mac Pro for Christmas? A Mac Pro is one of those things that if you need it, you buy it whenever you can, not because you want to get it as a gift for someone.
Who doesn't buy a Mac Pro for Christmas?

Am I right?

Yeah!!

Right, guys?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
OK, but I fail to see your point. In reality, hardly anyone uses Logic Pro alone without 3rd party plug-ins, which is the REAL issue why many people (myself included) still prefer to use Intel Macs for the time being.
Currently looking at Reaktor (notoriously not yet Apple Silicon native) happily working as a Logic plug-in on a Mac Studio. I'm sure there are a number of plug-ins that just won't work, and you'd want a 'critical mass' of the plug-ins you use to be native before switching - but it's not like Apple just left everybody high and dry: they included an interface to let Logic on Apple Silicon host Intel plug-ins via Rosetta.

After 2 years we're getting to the stage where anything not yet ported to Apple Silicon/Universal is probably abandonware anyway, and would be getting broken by new MacOS releases even on Intel.

The alternative is the history of Windows - held back and heavily burdened by the need to run 20+ year-old software. They've got their modern .net/common language runtime development stack that compiles everything to portable bytecode, which should make migration to ARM, RISC-V or whatever straightforward, but they're still having to support Win32 stuff (and have only recently completely dropped DOS-era Win16 compatibility - which still ran under the 32 bit version of Windows 10 - by that standard Apple would have still been supporting 6502 code in Mojave :) )

• Love
Reactions: Maximara

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
If you take out the VAT much of the EU was getting a mini for a far cheaper base than we in the states were as that ~665 € base works to be US $ 650.
This is where your theory fall flat on its face though. Because as Europeans, we can NOT take VAT out of the equation. We are always stuck with VAT.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
This is where your theory fall flat on its face though. Because as Europeans, we can NOT take VAT out of the equation. We are always stuck with VAT.
Not entirely true since many people buying Macs for business use will be able to reclaim the VAT.

(Any businesses with an annual turnover - not profit - over £85k has to register for VAT and charge VAT on their products and services, but can then reclaim VAT on business expenses - under £85k and you can choose whether or not it's worth registering. That's in the UK - AFAIK the rules in the EU are the same). Back in the good/bad old 1980s, advertised computer prices (or anything else that could be plausibly described as 'business supplies') didn't show VAT anyway.

Anyway, the point is that the VAT is outside of Apple's control & doesn't end up in their pocket (pretty sure their turnover is over £85k, despite the best efforts of their tax advisors :))

• Love

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
I'm not the one claiming that. I'm the one saying it's pointless to point to hypotheticals like "If you just leave out the VAT" for businesses, yes. For every European based consumer (which is wat most of Apple costumors probably are) no.

dcbl

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2021
Leidli T'enneh Territory
I'm not the one claiming that. I'm the one saying it's pointless to point to hypotheticals like "If you just leave out the VAT" for businesses, yes. For every European based consumer (which is wat most of Apple costumors probably are) no.
In the US and Canada sales/use taxes are added on top of the base price. For instance, here in BC we get 12% (5% GST and 7% PST) added on top of the purchase price. A purchaser in Los Angeles would add 9.5% (6% CA state tax + 3.5% county tax). There are few places where you can avoid this such as Oregon where there is no sales tax but it's made up for by income tax.

Our advertised base price would be the comparable to your price with VAT removed, or alternatively your price would be comparable to our price plus tax which varies wildly by jurisdiction.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
I wouldn't buy one now, unless you get it dirt cheap. What would $300 get you BTW? I got my 8 GB + 1 TB for US$145 + shipping in 2021, and added a 500 GB SSD for about US$50 including adapter.

So, that was a $200 purchase + shipping in 2021, to last me what I thought was going to be a year, for a machine I thought might possibly get Ventura. I didn't get Ventura, but the "good" news is that it will have to last me 18 months assuming the M2 gets released in March/April, and this will also probably get passed down to the kids, so I got my value out of it.

I wouldn't pay $300+ for 6 months for a machine that we already know doesn't support Ventura. That said, you could probably sell a reasonably spec'd one for $150+ next year if you don't mind the hassle.
I'm also considering buying a 2018 Mac Mini to get me through when Apple releases the new M2 Mac Mini. A 2018 Mini should be better than a 2014 Mini. At least it's still a current computer.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
You missed the whole point I was making. The base cost ie without taxes (US and Canadian version of VAT which varies wildly depending on location) of a Mac is lower in Europe than here in the US with the added cost being taxes.

Heck, back on Aug 10, 2022 enc0re stated:
"To expand on sales tax being baked into the price already, a quick Googling says that VAT in Germany, for example, is 19%. Subtract that out and you are at a price of 1,057.98 €. Which is cheaper than the U.S. price."

Which I replied with:

"The base price may be cheaper but I don't think there is anywhere in the US where the State+country+city tax is above 15% much less an eye watering 19%. Heck, AFAIK the highest sales tax in the US is Tacoma, Washington at 10.30% and ordering on line doesn't always result in the local sales tax."

For the TLDR crowd: Don't use your taxes and added charges to claim Apple is more expensive in your region. Barring reimbursement (which varies wildly) Apple doesn't see that money.

Last edited:
Reactions: EugW

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The price without VAT/sales tax is not hypothetical. It’s what Apple/The retailer actually gets paid for the product. Comparing any other figure between countries with different sales tax rates and/or where sales tax isn’t included in price stickers is nonsense.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Not entirely true since many people buying Macs for business use will be able to reclaim the VAT.

(Any businesses with an annual turnover - not profit - over £85k has to register for VAT and charge VAT on their products and services, but can then reclaim VAT on business expenses - under £85k and you can choose whether or not it's worth registering. That's in the UK - AFAIK the rules in the EU are the same). Back in the good/bad old 1980s, advertised computer prices (or anything else that could be plausibly described as 'business supplies') didn't show VAT anyway.

Anyway, the point is that the VAT is outside of Apple's control & doesn't end up in their pocket (pretty sure their turnover is over £85k, despite the best efforts of their tax advisors :))
Much the same here in the US — "Sales taxes you incur operating your business are deductible on your Schedule C, while sales taxes you personally incur may be deductible on Schedule A if you itemize your deductions and choose not to deduct state income taxes paid."

Due to the "fun" (read Rube Goldberg) way the IRS does things sales taxes are considered as "cost of the property" ie treated as if they were akin to a VAT. So one would use Line 18 of the Schedule C instead of Line 23 (This is a very gross simplification of US taxes)

Never mind that in some US localities (Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon) there is no sales tax.

Last edited:

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
The price without VAT/sales tax is not hypothetical. It’s what Apple/The retailer actually gets paid for the product. Comparing any other figure between countries with different sales tax rates and/or where sales tax isn’t included in price stickers is nonsense.
Right, Heck removing VAT allows Normalization of prices and see if things are more expensive due Apple or the local government piling on taxes.

LFO8

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2019
I’m not saying it’s hypothetical for businesses. The “leaving the VAT out” premise is a hypothetical one for EU consumers. They can NOT not add it to the total cost.

And I am not pointing any fingers for this to Apple (apparently that was what someone her was implying.. I don’t know). All I am saying is that for us as EU consumers there is no going around VAT so looking at a product cost without VAT is pointless to us (consumers).

• Angry

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I’m not saying it’s hypothetical for businesses. The “leaving the VAT out” premise is a hypothetical one for EU consumers. They can NOT not add it to the total cost.

And I am not pointing any fingers for this to Apple (apparently that was what someone her was implying.. I don’t know). All I am saying is that for us as EU consumers there is no going around VAT so looking at a product cost without VAT is pointless to us (consumers).
Again you mised the whole point of the post that caused us to go down this particular rabbit hole — if you are going to compare the cost of Apple products you have to remove any tax be it front loaded like VAT or after the fact as is the case here in the US.

"They can NOT not add it to the total cost." applies to US sales taxes (where applicable) so that is a non counter argument.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.