Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
It's a matter of personal opinion here, but Mojave and later deactivate sub pixel rendering which affects text quality on non-Retina displays. A lot of people complain about it since it looks worse than High Sierra. You can reactivate it through the command line but opinions on it are mixed on how well that works after you reactivate it.

That said, I use Monterey on a non-Retina screen every day, and it's fine. It's not as crisp, but it's OK IMO. The screen I use is an Apple 30" Cinema HD Display and this is the system I'm typing on right now.
It's the OS and not the processor that causes this. I thought it only happened on the M1 Mini.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
If that happens, and assuming it comes with a 24 GB option, I'll probably just buy it and forget about a mythical M2 Pro Mac mini. I can save my US$200-250.
I have a strange feeling, that it will be crippled in one way or another.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Assuming at least 3 USB-C ports for external display, wouldn't it make sense to do that for the base mini as well to simplify manufacturing?

Good thing the rear panel is an insert that can be easily swapped with one that has the proper amount of port cutouts for the given SoC...?

And it should be fairly apparent now that Apple does not want the base Mn SoC to support more than two displays; if one needs more than two, Apple will gladly show you products up the ladder...

If you want to gripe about Apple not having the sense to simplify manufacturing, look to the 24" iMac, no ports panel insert there...

Reactions: gusping

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Good thing the rear panel is an insert that can be easily swapped with one that has the proper amount of port cutouts for the given SoC...?

And it should be fairly apparent now that Apple does not want the base Mn SoC to support more than two displays; if one needs more than two, Apple will gladly show you products up the ladder...

If you want to gripe about Apple not having the sense to simplify manufacturing, look to the 24" iMac, no ports panel insert there...

The extra port wouldn't have to power more than two displays. It could just be a plan USB-C port, like the two front ports on the base Mac Studio. You could use it to charge and sync your iPhone.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
… provided that the next gen Mac mini will keep the current form factor.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I like the current design. It is certainly better than a plexiglass top or whatever the rumours pointed to. I can't imagine that looking good. Apple barely have enough 'engineering' capacity to put an M2 Pro in a mini, let alone redesign it. Let's not get ahead of ourselves ;)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hmmm... Regarding the port situation: A decent Thunderbolt dock that Apple itself sells costs CA$350 / US$300. Ouch.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I like the current design. It is certainly better than a plexiglass top or whatever the rumours pointed to. I can't imagine that looking good. Apple barely have enough 'engineering' capacity to put an M2 Pro in a mini, let alone redesign it. Let's not get ahead of ourselves ;)

I like the current design too and prefer all metal to plastic but the reason for plastic is better radio communications so it does have a practical purpose. I use wired peripherals to sidestep the Bluetooth issues.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Hmmm... Regarding the port situation: A decent Thunderbolt dock that Apple itself sells costs CA$350 / US$300. Ouch.

I've never bought into the 'just buy a TB dock' argument. For low and even some prosumers, it is a terrible solution. Not to mention they are very hit or miss in Mac OS. Relying on one would drive me mad.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I like the current design too and prefer all metal to plastic but the reason for plastic is better radio communications so it does have a practical purpose. I use wired peripherals to sidestep the Bluetooth issues.
Good point! Forgot about that. Thankfully, bluetooth is one of the few areas I haven't had issues with my 2018 mini.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I've never bought into the 'just buy a TB dock' argument. For low and even some prosumers, it is a terrible solution. Not to mention they are very hit or miss in Mac OS. Relying on one would drive me mad.

I have had great luck with the port hubs on Dell Ultrasharp monitors and they are useful for Windows and Intel Macs. I have seen issues with TB docks, including driver issues, and it seems to me that other solutions are preferable unless you have an unlimited budget.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If the new Mac mini comes in spring, that's getting close to the back-to-school sale. I qualify for that promotion so if the new Macs came in April, waiting a bit more until June to get a nice discount doesn't seem like a bad idea... except that the Mac mini did not qualify for the back-to-school sale this year. So, I could just get the Mac Studio and a nice sum in a gift card back, right? Wrong. Apple didn't include the Mac Studio in the back-to-school sale either. :mad:

BTW, I wonder when the M2 series Mac Studios will get released. Fall 2023?

Yes, I use a wired keyboard, although I use a wireless RF non-Apple mouse. No pairing issues with wireless RF, since it uses a (tiny) USB RF dongle.

So I'd need:

USB-C: Monitor
USB-C: External SSD, although I could probably get away with USB-A.
USB-A: Time Machine drive
USB-A: Wired keyboard
USB-A: RF mouse dongle
USB-A: Bar code scanner
USB-A: Webcam
USB-A: Flash card reader
USB-A: Keep one open for USB thumb drives, etc.

Like the external SSD, I'd like to keep the Time Machine drive on its own USB port. However, most of the other USB-A peripherals can run through a hub.

C'mon Apple, throw us a bone. Give us at least one more USB-C port, to bring us to 3 USB-C + 2 USB-A. Please!

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If the new Mac mini comes in spring, that's getting close to the back-to-school sale. I qualify for that promotion so if the new Macs came in April, waiting a bit more until June to get a nice discount doesn't seem like a bad idea... except that the Mac mini did not qualify for the back-to-school sale this year. So, I could just get the Mac Studio and a nice sum in a gift card back, right? Wrong. Apple didn't include the Mac Studio in the back-to-school sale either. :mad:

BTW, I wonder when the M2 series Mac Studios will get released. Fall 2023?

Yes, I use a wired keyboard, although I use a wireless RF non-Apple mouse. No pairing issues with wireless RF, since it uses a (tiny) USB RF dongle.

I am happy with giving in and getting a Studio. I am hoping to replace the M1 mini with it (as opposed to using both of them together). It seems like it should be able to handle my full workload. I've seen many others just buy the M1 mini or get the Studio too. If you need a machine, particularly for earning a living, you can't wait forever.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
If you are on a budget then there’s many USB-C hubs out there (no idea if they are 5gb/s or at least 10gb/sec which the M1/M2 macs should be compatible with) - the Caldigit ones get my recommendation. I have 2, can’t speak for other hubs but noticed they are now hugely expensive for U.K. users thanks to the exchange rates etc.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I wonder if the may just do what they did with the M1 iMac and give us 2 USB-C plus 2 TB4, and get rid of USB-A ports altogether.

If you are on a budget then there’s many USB-C hubs out there (no idea if they are 5gb/s or at least 10gb/sec which the M1/M2 macs should be compatible with) - the Caldigit ones get my recommendation. I have 2, can’t speak for other hubs but noticed they are now hugely expensive for U.K. users thanks to the exchange rates etc.
The CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Element Hub seemed like a nice solution until I found out it overheats. 😕

EBC8C64A-3156-4704-B8C5-85A7B18DE0BE.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Sad

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Thanks. I may look at them out of curiosity, but I'd rather buy a Mac Studio than use USB-C hubs :p

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I am happy with giving in and getting a Studio. I am hoping to replace the M1 mini with it (as opposed to using both of them together). It seems like it should be able to handle my full workload. I've seen many others just buy the M1 mini or get the Studio too. If you need a machine, particularly for earning a living, you can't wait forever.
For higher end users, why not just buy a studio?

It's not cheap, but it also isn't outrageously overpriced either IMHO

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
For higher end users, why not just buy a studio?

It's not cheap, but it also isn't outrageously overpriced either IMHO

If you already have a mini, then you have to sell it if you get the Studio and just getting another mini would have meant one fewer step for me. The gap in price between the base mini and the base Studio just felt so huge. Objectively, though, I'm better off with the Studio because the overall gap between the base mini and the base Studio is actually huge.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hmmm... Maybe I should get a Mac Studio with 64 GB RAM. o_O

Apple Photos should not be doing this. I have a little under 60000 items in my Photos library and initiated an export of all the unmodified masters for a backup. For the past half an hour Photos has pegged one core at 100% (so I guess this workload isn't parallelized). It has accumulated insane amounts of memory usage, and it is continuing to rise.

Note these are UNMODIFIED photos. It just has to copy them out to another drive. Why the hell is Photos doing this?

PhotosMemory2.png

Interestingly, memory pressure isn't in the red yet though, and the machine is still usable.

Last edited:

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
For work purposes you’d be able to get it back as an expense, as a U.K. user I’d be looking to see how Apple revalue M1 Max base studio refurbs once the M2 mini and studio comes out. This is because I think it’s obvious the new retail prices will go up but that might leave a question mark over how they price up a base M1 Max studio (currently refurbished as £1799).

Will they increase the base price of the discontinued M1 Max studio to £2199 thus increasing the price of the discounted refurb to almost £2k?

If they don’t it’ll become the No brainer purchase when the M2 max is out, and then we have the laptops.

The percentage discount on the M1 Pro MacBook Pros has increased making them cheaper for the moment (as little as £1619 now for a base model refurb) but what if the m2 pro macs go up in price too?

Bear in mind that a refurb m1 mini with 16/512 spec is £929, add the theoretical £200 for the binned M1 Pro cpu and you’re looking at around 500 quid for a Pro Display XDR Screen, Keyboard, trackpad, and battery plus and extra thunderbolt port and hdmi - worth it?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.