The new Macbook Trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by oyamac, Nov 24, 2008.

1. oyamac macrumors newbie

I have to admit, that the trackpad on this new macbook's are horribel vs those trackpad's on the Air. How could Apple do this, this is crazy, they make to much noise, and the feel of the big button when pushed down is like mye worst nightmare! I will never by any macbook again, until this trackpad is replaced, how could they do this..... Oyvind.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just use the tap options rather than a physical click.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Noise? C'mon, get used to change. Say I have a collection of DVDs. Then Blu-Ray came in. I would think it is a "nightmare" but things change. 99% of the ppl love the new trackpad, just adjust yourself.

4. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I'll trade you my 9 month old MacBook for yours. It obviously has the older trackpad/button. :D

5. lildudejds macrumors newbie

the trackpad is my FAVORITE part about the new macbook! It's awesome. Plus, most people probably don't actually click it anyway. I just do tap to click most of the time unless I need to drag something.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The trackpad is the best I've used and quite frankly, whomever is bitching about noise is seriously crazy.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

mine too, it's really great

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I rarely EVER click the track pad down. I always just tap. Works perfect!

9. eneisch macrumors 6502

That's my MO too. Hardly ever click it. I prefer the "tap to click" option and new macbooks have the ability to do both. Two-finger scrolling on the macbook has ruined me for every other notebook/trackpad!

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

haha you got that right! I tried showing my grandpa something on his HP laptop and i was having a hard time! Kept trying to 2 finger scroll!

11. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

was worried myself but once it got the tap option im good :p

12. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

I am not surprised if Apple make the track pads non-clickable some years down the road, as all functions can be replaced by tapping.

13. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

thats what I do, couldn't stand the clicking sound. On top of that, I'm so used to my iPhone, I found myself tapping all the time, so it only made sense to enable tapping.

14. therealdt macrumors regular

I'm starting to think either:

a. people are just making things up
    b. people don't really own a Al MB
    c. people realized they spent beyond their means
    d. people are just whine a$$e$
    e. most (90%) Al MB are really useless

take your pick

15. piper28 macrumors newbie

I haven't figured out the complaints about the trackpad myself either. And personally, I hate using the tap method, and actually do click. (Any laptop that got rid of the ability to actually click would be a laptop I wouldn't buy).

As for the noise? Doesn't sound any noisier than any other trackpad button I've used. Certainly it's not annoying. Heck, the space bar can be just as loud as the trackpad depending on how you hit it.

Just wish that new trackpad worked better in bootcamp.

16. mbleopard macrumors regular

I love the new trackpad, I have had my Aluminum Macbook for a little over a week and it was weird to get used to at first but once you do its amazing.

As far as the pressure required to press the touchpad down and the noise, if you flip the laptop over and remove the battery cover and battery there is a little screw that you can mess with that will adjust the pressure needed to click down on the trackpad

I just wish I had more time to use OSX, I have to run XP because most of my engineering software requires it.

17. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Yeah..I almost always just tap to click. The thing is so freaking responsive it's incredible. Makes surfing around a breeze. It's seriously one of the coolest things about the new macbooks.

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

LOL!!! the noise??? come on are you serious? its not even loud enough to be complained about. some people just really like to nitpick at anything sometimes. just activate tap to click and you'll never have to worry about that .0002 decible noise bothering you again. :rolleyes:

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I haven't had any issues with the trackpad. It works like a champ. The sheer size and responsiveness of that thing are AMAZING! No complaints here, actually quite the opposite!

20. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you try before buying?

I can't believe the level of complaining that floats around on this forum at times.

The glasspad is the slickest thing I've ever used, especially with MultiClutch to bring the 3 finger swipe commands to FireFox :cool:

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I really like the new trackpad which is part of the reason I chose the MB over the MBA, only part though. However I will say that since I have turned on the tapping it sometimes confuses me a bit, but I am still getting used to it as this is my first notebook, always been a desktop guy. And when using notebooks in the past I always used a mouse if I could, but with all the multi-gestures, I won't consider it, I want to be all trackpad all the time.

The one thing I have a problem with is that the right click option should be limited to a smaller area. It seems to be the whole lower right from halfway over and too often I find that it right click when I don't want it too. I would prefer it to be a 1" by 1" or maybe 1.5" square area for right clicking.

22. coma2black macrumors member

if it bothers you to much, you still can deactivate the corner-right clik and just use the two-finger tap for it...

23. ZB1992 macrumors newbie

i say that to people all the time! that the trackpad its the best, if your dragging something you can move it all the way across the screen without taking a break! and the clicking, i am a bit upset about that, apple claimed that the entire trackpad was one big button, when in reality, its only god at the bottom, farthest away from the top hinge, but no matter, since i use the tap, which has become so intuitive to me, as well as the multiclutch commands for fire fox- 3 fingers up, new tab, 3 down, close tab, to the side is switch tabs, i love it! also, the click apple has claimed has been precisely tuned for a satisfying sound, when its pretty annoying really. but for any new buyer out there lookign at these forums- i know i sure did- be sure to know that the hinge is at the top of the trackpad on these, and you CANNOT click it there, it just doesn't work.

i also have a nice logitech v470 bluetooth mouse, and i find myself not even using it due to the smoothness of the trackpad! it might also be bcause my hands are to big to fit on that tiny little thing, haha

24. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

If I set tap to click in Leopard will it carry over to windows via BootCamp? Also, do you find that you tap/click by accident a lot?

ChrisN

25. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

hadn't thought of that. might try it. sometimes I click, sometimes I tap. More use will determine which way I lean. sometimes I find that I am dragging an app out of or to a new location in the dock when I though I was selecting it. It gets a bit confusing, but that must just be the learning curve.

not sure how to do that. can you take your hand off it and then keep sliding. maybe I don't have that enabled. I find it a problem when moving mail to a subfolder or similar dragging things.

also, are there similar commands/gestures for Safari with regards to tabs. I know I can double tap in the tab bar for a new untitled tab.