Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Yupiiiee! Only one adapter in stead of three....You gotta be kidding me ...

And it's not just the massive issue with basically removing all useful ports:
The 13" version is now underpowered and overpriced.
But it has a weird touch strip for emojis...What the **** is going on here?
Well, first of all I have to use at least one dongle (miniDP-VGA) on most modern laptops. So your "Yupiiiee" is kinda invalid.

And of course I'd prefer to have those ports on the laptop, but not by taking away 2/4 Thunderbolt 3 ports (because the functionality you get from so many TB3 ports is a selling point of this laptop). My point is that I can live without them if you give me 4x full speed TB3 / USB-C ports instead.

P.S. I don't give a **** about the 13" rMBP altogether. Yes, I agree it's overpriced, but it's irrelevant to me.

P.P.S. I'm not trying to find a perfect laptop or whine about its drawbacks. The only thing I care about it a compromise that's acceptable for my needs.

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
I might as well say it here. MagSafe is one of Apple's best innovations, and belongs on every one of their portable notebooks. Period.

As for USB-C, not so much, as in it largely blows. With many functions? Yes, that is great. But . . .

Personally, I'm always using MagSafe because, well, this MBP needs to be recharged. USB-C doesn't cut it for that. Yes, it can perform that particular function, but not as well. Entirely aside from possibly tripping on the cord and sending one's computer into oblivion, I dare anyone to say that just popping on the MagSafe connector is in any way more tedious than inserting a USB-C plug. No way and no comparison, the MagSafe is far easier to use and a more pleasant experience; not to mention something one need do continually whatever the type of port.

While at it—if not as versatile in function—I'd also suggest that inserting a USB-A plug is more pleasant than a USB-C. Yes, one can often confuse the direction of a USB-A, but it just seems more satisfying.

So if Apple is looking to innovate—rather than just wholesale eliminating all useful ports—they might work on developing a USB-C type connection which one actually looks forward to using. You know, as using the controls in a Mercedes more satisfying than some regretable 1970s era Ford Pinto.

Some will naturally disagree with this assessment. But they may be masochists.

Meister

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
You also do know that prices for type c adapters are more reasonable, because there are far more laptops out there that use TB3/Usb C vs. Thunderbolt 2.
At the price of these macbooks I don't think anybody cares about the price of the adapters.
[doublepost=1477819806][/doublepost]
Well, first of all I have to use at least one dongle (miniDP-VGA) on most modern laptops. So your "Yupiiiee" is kinda invalid.

And of course I'd prefer to have those ports on the laptop, but not by taking away 2/4 Thunderbolt 3 ports (because the functionality you get from so many TB3 ports is a selling point of this laptop). My point is that I can live without them if you give me 4x full speed TB3 / USB-C ports instead.

P.S. I don't give a **** about the 13" rMBP altogether. Yes, I agree it's overpriced, but it's irrelevant to me.

P.P.S. I'm not trying to find a perfect laptop or whine about its drawbacks. The only thing I care about it a compromise that's acceptable for my needs.
Good for you.
I have never used or seen a usb-c device in the wild.

I'm not going to drop that kinda dough on a laptop and then csrry around dongles for the next years until usb-c becomes standard. **** that!

Reactions: Dsching

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Me: "So the new MBP doesn't have Magsafe? Bummer, it was one of the best features of the Macbook line"
Apple Apologists: "Yeah, but now you can plugin the power in any port…"
Me: "…any port you can trip over and pull down your laptop"
Apple Apologists: "Then just be careful or use the battery, idiot"
Me: "so why did Apple invent Magsafe in the first place?"
Apple Apologists: "…"

Me: "So now I boufht a MBP, but I actually need two dongles to use my iPhone peripherals with it, the lightning dongle and the USB c dongle"
Apple Apologists: "Hah! The future is wireless, just buy Bluetooth headphones. The Airpods pair just as easily as plugging in the headphone jack"
Me: "Where can I buy the Airpods"
Apple Apologists: "Oh, they're not ready yet! But that's a good sign, it just shows how much Apple cares about the customers "
Me: "…"

I dont know, there is just so much bad news regarding the new MBP. I tested it yesterday. It is a fine device, don't get me wrong. But It is just what I would have expected from the MBP line after years without a redesign. But I expected it without significant price raises and so many halfbaked solutions.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Me: "So the new MBP doesn't have Magsafe? Bummer, it was one of the best features of the Macbook line"
Apple Apologists: "Yeah, but now you can plugin the power in any port…"
Me: "…any port you can trip over and pull down your laptop"
Apple Apologists: "Then just be careful or use the battery, idiot"
Me: "so why did Apple invent Magsafe in the first place?"
Apple Apologists: "…"

Me: "So now I boufht a MBP, but I actually need two dongles to use my iPhone peripherals with it, the lightning dongle and the USB c dongle"
Apple Apologists: "Hah! The future is wireless, just buy Bluetooth headphones. The Airpods pair just as easily as plugging in the headphone jack"
Me: "Where can I buy the Airpods"
Apple Apologists: "Oh, they're not ready yet! But that's a good sign, it just shows how much Apple cares about the customers "
Me: "…"

I dont know, there is just so much bad news regarding the new MBP. I tested it yesterday. It is a fine device, don't get me wrong. But It is just what I would have expected from the MBP line after years without a redesign. But I expected it without significant price raises and so many halfbaked solutions.
Me: "I heard the new apple macbooks burst into fire"
Apple apoplogist: "So you pay less on your heating bill? The weather is getting cold. Thats nice"
Me: "But i could also die. Fire is bad for the human body"
Apple apologist: "..."

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
You guys are focusing on wrong things imo. Buying a USB-C lighting cable isn't a big deal (I'd still have to replace the stock iPhone cable because any Apple cable sucks)

I'm also happy with the switch from Magsafe to USB-C because we are no longer stuck with flimsy Apple's Magsafe cable which forced you to buy a new expensive power adapter every 1.5-2 years depending on your usage. I'd be happy to buy an aftermarket magnetic USB-C cable and never see those ridiculous white excuse of a cable.

The real problem is soldered SSD and cooling system performance, which better be more capable than the first generation rMBP

Deanster

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
I'll miss Magsafe, but I won't miss Apple's power supply/cable situations, and being able to plug the power in on either side will be a nice addition.

Ethernet is already on a dongle for MBPr's, as is DVI or analog video. On-board HDMI is a loss, but what'll happen in reality is that I'll just buy an HDMI-USB-C cable to replace my existing HDMI cable.

The SD card slot... that I'll *really* miss. I use it a lot both at home and out/about. I think Apple is absolutely cracked to take this off the MBP.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
Why would you want 2 power ports both with different connectors? The whole idea of USB-C is it does everything.
dont be ignorant.
[doublepost=1477948727][/doublepost]
While I agree that Magsafe was brilliant, the increased convenience of moving to USB-C power is immense.

You can now use ANY USB-C power source. Meaning you can trade/borrow anyone's power adapter. Or charge with the same power bank you carry to recharge your phone...or any other wireless gizmos you might have.
having magsafe wouldn't change the fact you'd be able to charge the laptop through USB C.........................................

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I'm all for evolution and being at the forefront of pushing standards.. USB-C is great, but lets be honest, in 2016 we only needed one port.

Why not 1 x magsafe, 1x USB3 and 2x USB-C ?
.. then drop USB next year

and never drop the MagSafe because it's downright awesome.

speedyb_2016-Oct-30.jpg

This picture is quite powerful... and I'm concerned about where Apple is heading, I'm sure when they get there it'll be great but I'm not sure I want to be funding their transition.

I got all the way to checkout with the new rMBP but had a sinking feeling I was making a mistake.

I decided to hold off and analyse my usage... I use DJ controllers[USB] regularly, external HDD/USB/SSD regularly... No I don't want to be using an adapter each time.

I like to upgrade yearly (24 months at most) so that I can get the most resale value out of current take making upgrade posts less painless... this is one of the most painful upgrade costs and for a device that will only bring inconvenience.. this could be the first upgrade in a very long time that I look elsewhere.

schmidti91

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Eisenach, Germany
I like to upgrade yearly (24 months at most) so that I can get the most resale value out of current take making upgrade posts less painless... this is one of the most painful upgrade costs and for a device that will only bring inconvenience.. this could be the first upgrade in a very long time that I look elsewhere.

Wow, for me upgrading yearly would be inconvenient. If I buy a good machine I want to have it for a longer time

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i've never tripped over a cord and have magsafe save my life. HOWEVER, the power indicator is a functionality that I'm surprised they didn't replicate.

Reactions: eiprol

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I would have been great if Apple simply built in the magsafe mechanism onto the connector of the power cable itself like this one:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/04/23/review-griffins-breaksafe-magsafe-12-inch-macbook/

I might get something like this if I do spring of a new Macbook Pro in the future.

==

I see, its been suggested already. My apologies.
Given Apple's track record in cable manufacturing, I'd only consider a 3rd party. So it's really doesn't matter what Apple does, because their cable won't last.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Wow, for me upgrading yearly would be inconvenient. If I buy a good machine I want to have it for a longer time

It doesn't make much difference to me, I re-format my computers once per year anyway, usually around new OS update. I don't always do it yearly, but I prefer to if possible so that resale value is high, that way I can stay on the latest model without sacrificing too much money.. I use it daily for business so it's not a bad investment.

Reactions: schmidti91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.