Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
The new music app is without a doubt the worst thing Apple have ever done. I hate it. I have over 10 years of downloaded music thats all been lumped together and pushed back into a single "library" tab in favour of connect, radio, music and search... none of which I use. I want my playlists in the forefront as I use those the most. I hate this update.

apple.com/feedback

Reactions: M. Gustave

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The new music app is without a doubt the worst thing Apple have ever done. I hate it. I have over 10 years of downloaded music thats all been lumped together and pushed back into a single "library" tab in favour of connect, radio, music and search... none of which I use. I want my playlists in the forefront as I use those the most. I hate this update.

I agree wholeheartedly. You should check out apps like Ecoute, Cesium or Marvis. They use developer APIs to integrate your iTunes music library into their apps. It is really like a different front-end for Music. It works pretty well.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
[QUOTE="MVallee, post: 23419331, member: 98061"All of my playlists look the same with the stupid gear icon instead of the custom artwork and some of them are showing up blank now even though the music is on my phone. I don't know what they were thinking with this.[/QUOTE]

I'm super annoyed with this. I spent a long time making custom icons for all my playlists. I assume it's a bug because when you actually view the playlist I see the art, but when I scroll through all my lists (which is when I really need the custom art) I have stupid gears or rainbow folders.

AllStarCelica

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
why it's not perfect, the new music app in iOS 10 is 100 times better than the previous version. there's Way less options than before. I remember scrolling through a list of songs and I hit the button with three dots and it listed seven different options. Half of those options were completely useless, for example genius.

One caveat to my post… I'm not an Apple Music subscriber. I'm only using the app to listen to music in my carefully managed music library. it's entirely possible someone who uses the music app with Apple Music will have a different experience than me, but for simply browsing my library I found it to be a monster improvement from previous versions.

Reactions: Lappen71

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I went to update my iPhone 6s to iOS 10 through iTunes and it said that I first needed to update iTunes version so I did that first and like others said most of my album artwork is blank just a microphone but when you go into it my artwork is still there. So it must be a bug.

After seeing how awful iTunes looked and that they took away the colored effect of your albums (I really grew to like that feature) now it's all just white. I decided not download iOS 10 to my 6s during midstream.

I've been reading how to revert back to prior iTunes version but it's a pain in the butt to do this so for now I have an up to date iTunes on my Mac but an iPhone 6s still on 9.3.5

To avoid this mess I just can't connect my phone to iTunes or put my phone on wifi or it will start the download of 10 since I previously stopped it midway after looking how awful iTunes changed my music library.

Argh why did I ever update iTunes, at least I still have iOS 9 on my iPhone.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Overall I really like the new music app - one complaint and one question however.

• They got rid of the "clear up next" queue, an annoying omission in my opinion.
  • Has anyone checked whether they fixed the icloud library messing up your current library issue? I recently flew to Canada and wanted to add a new classical album I found on Apple Music (Hypersuites by Marina Baranova - very nice) but hesitated to do so.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I am having a few issues I thought I would throw out there in case anyone else is having the same issues, or might have any ideas. About half of my artists are missing artwork.

Lx8nivf.jpg

My second issue is, even though my music shows lyrics in the iTunes app on my computer, no lyrics show up in the iOS Music app.

My third issue is more of a preference. Is there a way to turn off "You Might Also Like" suggestions that show up when I go to an Artist?

The Artist picture removal is affecting everyone (I believe).

I've gone from having pictures for nearly (if not) all Artists to having a fraction.

In my case, the ones that do seem to be those I've purchased through iTunes. Others purchased on CD are showing the ugly Mic picture.

Reactions: rhythmac

youknownow

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
If you have iTunes, make a smart playlist. Set the parameters to Media Kind IS Music. Name it. Then open up your iOS device. Go to playlists. Pick your new one. Tap the download button. You can do the same with Artists. Make the parameters Artist is "blah blah".
That said, this is definitely a shortcoming of the new app I hope is fixed quickly.
yeah i was considering making a massive playlist of artists and then just making that offline.
just means i will have another playlist on my list which is a bit annoying

Reactions: StonewallBrown

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Full screen now playing/album art, did this get removed with iOS 10? I don't see it on my iPad.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
2 questions about the new music app:

1. What does a star on the far left next to a song title signify?
2. Any way to get rid of the annoying "You Might Also Like" suggestions that randomly pop up?

In general, I don't think the app is that bad, but these 2 little things are driving me nuts...

Duophonic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
This app is absolutely terrible. My albums are now in alphabetical order when I click on an Artist and not chronological! This sucks. I also cannot get rid of the suggestions and I hate those microphones!

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012

2. Any way to get rid of the annoying "You Might Also Like" suggestions that randomly pop up?

In general, I don't think the app is that bad, but these 2 little things are driving me nuts...

1: Have you tried to press it and see what happens???
2: It´s not popping up,it´s on the bottom of the player. No you can't get rid of it.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013

1. It means it's a popular song.
2. Not that I know of. That feature has helped a few times find stuff to listen to. It seems to get better as you listen.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Duophonic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016

Those are driving me crazy, too!

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Overall I really like the new music app - one complaint and one question however.

• They got rid of the "clear up next" queue, an annoying omission in my opinion.
  • Has anyone checked whether they fixed the icloud library messing up your current library issue? I recently flew to Canada and wanted to add a new classical album I found on Apple Music (Hypersuites by Marina Baranova - very nice) but hesitated to do so.
Well in addition to these issues, found two others.

1. Smart playlists don't sync to my phone. They're there listed but with no songs. All my library (ripped CDs and iTunes purchases) are on my phone just the lists are-empty.
  2. "Now playing" and "Up next" are buggy - No way to get rid of the little popup when it is minimised and you are done. Plus removing songs form the queue doesn't work-they play anyway.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
1. It means it's a popular song.
2. Not that I know of. That feature has helped a few times find stuff to listen to. It seems to get better as you listen.
Thank you for the info!

I honestly don't care what songs are considered "popular", or who pays Apple the most money to advertise their crappy album in my Music app. These 2 "features" really need to go away.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I disagree. Its much more usable.
How can you access the star ratings of tracks?
Why can you no longer customize the icons along the bottom of the interface -- most of them just point to Apple Music-associated stuff now.

How the **** is that "usable"?

[doublepost=1473865428][/doublepost]
I started using Cesium in lieu of the Music app awhile ago and haven't looked back. Clean, simple, and polished with an active developer. Highly recommended.
THANK YOU This is saving my life right now.

Between loss of star ratings (hearts? what is this, Twitter?) and the Apple Music takeover across the whole interface, iOS 10's Music app is pure garbage. What happened to understated functionality, Apple? I dread whatever they're going to destroy in iTunes in the next OS X release.

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
How can you access the star ratings of tracks?
Why can you no longer customize the icons along the bottom of the interface -- most of them just point to Apple Music-associated stuff now.

How the **** is that "usable"?

For basic function its much cleaner. The player is nicer looking, playlists look nicer, it's easier to access recently added songs and to find things.

I guess if you use the star feature you'd be upset but I can't think of a single person who does.

Reactions: yep-sure

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Almost all my music has lyrics in iTunes, yet so far I have only found one song that will show lyrics on my iPhone or iPad in the Music app. I'm not sure what the problem is but that's kind of a bummer, I was looking forward to that feature. Am I the only one having this problem?

AcerBen

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2016
Manchester
why it's not perfect, the new music app in iOS 10 is 100 times better than the previous version. there's Way less options than before. I remember scrolling through a list of songs and I hit the button with three dots and it listed seven different options. Half of those options were completely useless, for example genius.

One caveat to my post… I'm not an Apple Music subscriber. I'm only using the app to listen to music in my carefully managed music library. it's entirely possible someone who uses the music app with Apple Music will have a different experience than me, but for simply browsing my library I found it to be a monster improvement from previous versions.

Why was Genus completely useless? I love Genius and is one of the things I will miss when I'm forced to update! Can anyone confirm whether Genius has also been removed from the new iTunes, which I'm also reluctant to download right now.
[doublepost=1473876807][/doublepost]I downloaded iOS 10 beta and was quite unhappy with the new music app so went back to 9. I have an iPod touch which I mostly only use for music anyway, so I've decided to stay disconnected from wifi for now so I don't have to update!

Aside from Genius going I also found it struggled when skipping through songs at high speed, as I often do when I'm on shuffle!

I also don't like they have taken away the photo of the artist from the top of their list of albums, I thought that was a nice touch. I don't like the artwork being smaller than before either.

The worst thing though was that it rendered a lot of my artwork really poorly. For example:

CnvgKXwWcAA2wYL_zpskwmq2szi.jpg

The original source picture wasn't great, but the new app seems to make lower quality images look even worse. Has anyone else noticed that? Perhaps they've sorted that out now.

I can sort of see why they felt the need to simplify the interface - but why they can't give you the choice of adding "advanced options" like star ratings and Genius if you want to use them? The only reason I can think of is that it gives you two less reasons to cling on to your MP3 library and give into Apple Music.

Last edited:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I like music videos are located in the music app, but there is no video symbol to differentiate a song between a video.

Also, when it comes to compilations, iOS stinks. If I go to an artist or band who have both their own albums and songs on compilations, I want to see their work when I go to their artist entry. As it stands, I have to go to a different section to see an artists' songs on a compilation album.

It's crazy how much better some aspects of late-model iPods are than today's iOS app.

Reactions: IronWaffle

CikoBear

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
It's pretty awful from both a design and usability perspective. The only good thing about it is you can now use home sharing if you have no files in your local music library. In IOS9, you had no way to switch to home sharing if your local music library was empty.
I love the music app interface on iOS 9 which is more beauty and simple. I can tap on album/song/artist section easily. But on iOS 10 I think it's not bad at all just the song name seems little bit large for me.

salimdao

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
Anaheim, CA
having the app open immediately to the Library is great. but i really hate how it's not connected to the rest of Apple Music. I used to be able to go to an artist, listen to the albums I saved to my library and easily switch to the Apple Music library. i also miss how the artist pages in my library felt like a profile page for the artist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.