Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
It's more or less the same interface as Netflix's other smart TV apps, as far as I can tell. Looked just like this on my Samsung TV and my LG WebOS TV. Not saying I like it, I'm just used to it enough to not hate it, anymore.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is I believe the previous AppleTV version is just outdated.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And what service would you recommend that is more superior than Netflix and why?
$8 a month isn't too hard for most people to swallow... lol.
Amazon prime is far better in terms of selection along with showbox via android box

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Amazon prime is far better in terms of selection along with showbox via android box

Why bother with shadowbox or Android? Stick with Mac.

I have Amazon Prime and Netflix. The problem with Amazon Prime is there are waaaaaayyy too many hidden costs. Not much popular stuff is free. You pay per episode over and over again. I get sick and tired of looking up old tv shows and having to still pay for them. And that's on top of the $99 per year you pay for Amazon Prime. (I love Amazon Prime shipping though.. Been an Amazon member since 1998.)

You might not be aware, but Netflix has many of the same items as Amazon Prime, except they are free with sub. They also have fantastic original series like DAREDEVIL, LILLYHAMMER, and others. And Netflix is $8 a month, $3 less a year than Amazon Prime and NO hidden charges.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I think the worst offense is having the queue list at the bottom. I'm not sure why the app isn't the same across devices.
Your my list is at the bottom? The fist two selection right below the banner are continue watching, and my list.

Why bother with shadowbox or Android? Stick with Mac.

I have Amazon Prime and Netflix. The problem with Amazon Prime is there are waaaaaayyy too many hidden costs. Not much popular stuff is free. You pay per episode over and over again. I get sick and tired of looking up old tv shows and having to still pay for them. And that's on top of the $99 per year you pay for Amazon Prime. (I love Amazon Prime shipping though.. Been an Amazon member since 1998.)

You might not be aware, but Netflix has many of the same items as Amazon Prime, except they are free with sub. They also have fantastic original series like DAREDEVIL, LILLYHAMMER, and others. And Netflix is $8 a month, $3 less a year than Amazon Prime and NO hidden charges.
what hidden cost with Prime? If it doesn't have the Prime banner across the artwork it's not available as part of Prime. It has always been that way, and nothing is hidden about it.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Your my list is at the bottom? The fist two selection right below the banner are continue watching, and my list.

what hidden cost with Prime? If it doesn't have the Prime banner across the artwork it's not available as part of Prime. It has always been that way, and nothing is hidden about it.

Do you know exactly which shows and movies are available with Prime and which are not? NO. Only when you search for them and bring them onscreen. THEN you see the Prime banner, Smartie. And in my case, I see many shows that I want to see, but they are not included with Prime. Yes, believe it or not I even own a new Fire TV! That doesn't mean I can't offer valid criticism.

Guess what? ALL television shows and movies are included in a single Netflix sub. I can search a zillion tv shows and movies, and absolutely NONE will come back with an extra cost. There are no hidden costs whatsoever.

Reactions: Strutten

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
It's more or less the same interface as Netflix's other smart TV apps, as far as I can tell. Looked just like this on my Samsung TV and my LG WebOS TV. Not saying I like it, I'm just used to it enough to not hate it, anymore.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is I believe the previous AppleTV version is just outdated.

I have a recent ( last year) Samsung TV model with built-in Netflix wich I never used since I always owned an aTV. So , I launched the app to compare, and low and behold, it's far superior to the app on aTV4 !
Categories have their own seperate pages and show you 10 movies at a time, and yes ... you are allowed to watch the end credits of a movie !

So , the Netflix app for Apple TV4 might just be the worst implementation on any platform.

I'm going to shoot an email to Netflix as well as leave a feedback on Apple's aTV feedback page. I suggest anyone who is as infuriated with the stupid decisions on this new interface does the same. I find insulting to both the viewers and the filmmakers that Netflix should dictate whether you're allowed to watch a movie till the end or not.

If they don't update the app in a month or two, I think I'll just cancel my subscription.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
If you go to the website and under your account turn off auto play it should solve the problem of cutting off the credits, but you would have to start the next episode yourself. The reason they cut off the credits is probably due to their metrics showing that almost all their subs skip the credits. As for categories I see it being add, since they have it on all the other devices that I know of, for some reason it has so far been left out of the atv. Maybe they though they didn't need it due to Siri, who knows?

Reactions: HoiPiet

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
If you go to the website and under your account turn off auto play it should solve the problem of cutting off the credits, but you would have to start the next episode yourself.
Not on the Apple TV it doesn't. It still shrinks the credits to postage stamp size and it doesn't even let you select them to make them larger.

Reactions: tonyr6

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Not on the Apple TV it doesn't. It still shrinks the credits to postage stamp size and it doesn't even let you select them to make them larger.
Hmmm, didn't know the Apple TV didn't follow that setting I know other devices did. It's been a while since I tried it with it off though. Hopefully they come out with something. I think someone mentioned in another thread that Netflix support were able to revert them to the previous interface.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Oh wow, finally checked out the credits issue. To test, I used Bobs Burgers that usually has unique credit animations and songs.

Just as the credits start it shrinks to the top left, incredibly tiny, like the thumbnail size when fast forwarding.

Also, once it does this, you can no longer pause the episode or rewind it, and it starts the next episode before the credits even finish :0

Last edited:
Reactions: ddkkpp

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
This is how Netflix is on every other device... i always went back to ATV3, because i liked apple's layout better.. those days are gone now :(

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Why is it that when I do a seach via Siri for a TV episode of some kids show (for the kids at home)... Siri finds it on Netflix ... it shows me all seasons ... I then proceed to start the show by selecting an episode suggested by Siri on Netflix ... then the show never starts.

I then do a manual seach within the Netflix app ... and the show is never found !
I then go to the iphone Netflix app ... I do a search ... and the same show is found and can be airplayed.

Why is the seach result different on iOS Netflix and tvOS Netflix ????

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Why is it that when I do a seach via Siri for a TV episode of some kids show (for the kids at home)... Siri finds it on Netflix ... it shows me all seasons ... I then proceed to start the show by selecting an episode suggested by Siri on Netflix ... then the show never starts.

I then do a manual seach within the Netflix app ... and the show is never found !
I then go to the iphone Netflix app ... I do a search ... and the same show is found and can be airplayed.

Why is the seach result different on iOS Netflix and tvOS Netflix ????
I haven't seen this issue the few time I've used the siri search.Maybe something is going wrong on the back end. I had the Disney apps crashing every time they loaded. The next day they were working fine without updates.

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
Los Angeles
The interface (and behaviors, from what I can see) are identical to the Netflix App on the TiVo Roamio. It's also similar to the iPad app; I think they've streamlined the UI across most of their app versions (though Smart TVs probably have different/older interfaces).

dude-x

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
New York City
I am having a different issue; I just got the Apple TV 4 and Netflix is refusing to play video. I can hear the sound, but when I load a new video, the first few frames appear then the video goes black (I can see still see the netflix UI for setting the audio.) I don't know what to do; I suspect it could be an RGB issue or something. Hopefully it's not HDCP related.

natedagreat142

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
US
It's the same as the xbox one netflix app lmao. I have no issues and know where everything is, i've been using the app for almost 2 years now. I actually like it better, I didn't think anyone actually liked the old netflix app lol.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Netflix takes the number one spot for crappy designed UI's ... It's difficult to say anything about the people who made it, as I don't know them, but amateur comes to mind ... just looks like they actually don't use it them self ;-)

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011
id rather have a grid of icons for quicker browsing (more info, less time to choose) than a long row i have to scroll through. it takes like 10x as long to scroll through a row of movies that could easily be displayed in 1 second in a 5x5 grid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.