The new refurbs are killing me!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Boe11, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

A little bit torn - I'm hoping to order a 27" iMac 3.4 with stock hd and memory, but the 2gb video card upgrade... and now the same thing minus the extra gig of video memory pops up refurbished for 300 dollars less :(

I'm a pretty casual gamer, but the extra memory is certainly worth it for me at a 100 dollar BTO upgrade, but 300... I'm not sure.

WWYD?

2. gmans46 macrumors regular

does 1 to 2 gigs really make that much of a difference, I'm kind of interested to know i don't really game that much and mine has only 1 gig of video memory

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

A refurbished Mac comes with same warranty and terms just as new Mac. But it has higher risk of failure or disappointing component. There's a reason Apple would cut the price, and call it refurbished Mac. Yes, sometimes they just a returned items from customers, but also possibly it has some annoying defects but not affect performance (e.g dead pixels, yellow tint, dented chassis or glass cover)

So, buying a refurbished Mac is more like gambling, not to mention you don't get the shiny printed packaging :D ..

And, for VRAM. I suggest go for 1GB VRAM. The BTO of 2GB VRAM not worth the dough, not even at $100!! It doesn't do Crysis better or faster, nor able to handle multi display better than 1GB. So, go for 1GB VRAM :)

(P.S .. I have iMac with 2GB VRAM and I felt sorry to have bought the upgrade .. Better get AppleCare or 8GB 3rd party RAM upgrade for the money)

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I don't consider refurbs from Apple 'gambling' at all. I have had 3 or 4 refurb Macs and all were just fine. May even say refurbs are better cecause many of them go thru double checks. I say, if you like the price go for it.

5. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

well my refurb 27" came with 1 dead pixel. and the apple store replaced it. so if there is anything wrong with your refurb you take it to an applestore just like you would if it were new. so how is a new one any different than a refurb? packaging? pssshh. i will say i bought the may 2011 model. if you buy one from 09 or earlier take notice that your hardware is going to have been used for quite some time before you got it. so your hdd ect. will have a lot of its life expended already. so my advise if buying refurb is to go for the latest model you can find.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

This couldn't be more misinformed. Apple refurbs have defective parts replaced, much more quality control based on any prior issues than new machines which are built and shipped with virtually no QA testing. To say that a refurb has a higher risk of failure is actually the opposite of true. I recommend getting more information before making statements like that.

7. Boe11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm certainly comfortable with refurbed macs. I've had a few of them and they were all great.

Mostly just the video memory dilemma. I like to be as "future-proof" as possible, but sheesh I don't know if I can justify it at 300 extra.

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

As a casual gamer, I don't think you will notice the 2GB vs 1GB of VRAM, now or for some time. I would recommend going with the refurb and the savings. It is doubtful you will see too many of that specific config you want show up in the refurb store, and like I said it doesn't sound like you really need it.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you have some source for your claim of higher defect rates in refurbs or have you even owned one?

OP, I'd reccomend going with a refurb. All defective parts are replaced, plus they have more quality control, so in reality they are less likely to fail. If the VRAM is a really big deal to you and you don't need the computer right away you could probably wait for the model with higher VRAM to show up on the refurb store. It may take a bit longer but I'm sure it will be there sometime soon.

10. iSayuSay, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hmm really? well yeah I admit refurbished Mac and their post sales service is no different than new one. But not all of them refurbished because it has some parts replaced? How about defects which have no effect to performance?

How about this case:

Yellow tinted display, a few dead pixels, dented or deformed chassis/glass are surely defects, but not prevent that Mac to boot and perform "normally" the original owner didn't like it and returned them .. Will Apple still replace those? Or just doing standard inspection, keep it back on their inventory, label them as "refurbished" and sell it back to customer for a few hundred bucks discount?

Or how about a Mac that has been okay, but returned or refunded by previous owner for whatever reason due to Apple's refund policy? Surely it's new .. but still it has been preowned and pre opened Mac.

Now about higher risk on refurbished Mac:

Being shipped more often and further than brand new Mac (due to return, pre opened/used, sometimes have parts being replaced/repaired/reassembled, and shipped to you again as refurbished. Isn't that enough to say they have "higher risk" than vanilla new Macs (which only assembled once, no parts replaced, efficiently shipped to you, never been touched outside factory)??

Yes you can return refurbished Mac to the store, just as new Macs can .. but surely more pointless efforts and time wasted.

EDIT: Saying refurbished Mac is actually better due to double inspection is not totally right either .. Here is an example :)

Surprised about how some people just get offended when I talk about "refurbished Mac" :D ... it's not different when you buy a new refurbished car, or new car but has been showcased as display or test drive car ... which one would you choose? Brand new or refurbished? Surely refurbished not bad either .. sometimes just as good as new .. but I just feel something has been missing with that kind of stuff.

11. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

Although that may be true, you are saving hundreds of dollars and can get any annoyances repaired for free. Not to mentioned all of those returned "defective" iMacs were new not even a month ago with those same problems, your running the risk either way, am I right?

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Yeah, all electronic stuff has risk at different level for sure. Even a brand new one. Maybe it's just the discount Apple give for refurbished Mac still not high enough to get me interested and willing to take the "risk" of refurbished Mac compared to the one on brand new Mac :D

Obviously if we're gonna need to save a couple hundred bucks, buying refurbished would be a compelling way. Same or even lower price for better spec .. Can get AppleCare or RAM upgrade for the $$$ difference.

13. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Total hogwash, refurbs are better than new, and apple stands behind them as new:cool:

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Can a refurb have problems? Sure.
    Can they come with physical defects? Possibly, but from what I have heard very very few of them do.
    Can they be returns and potentially not see the level of QA that defective units do? Probably.
    Can you return them too if you are not satisfied. Yes. Yes. Yes.

But you get to save. And from all my years owning Macs and my time here, other people I know, and when I worked for Apple, I have consistently heard nothing but good things about refurbs, and really no bad.

I was going to get a 2011 27" iMac 2.7 which retails for $1,699 and it is now on refurb for $1,439. $260 off. Sweet deal on the 27" base model. Two reasons I decided against it.

a. I decided to take the plunge on the SSD + HDD machine, which isn't on the refurb site.

b. I can get one through an Apple employee discount of a friend with the SSD and still save good money.

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well .. let's just say I love to buy the "newness" when I buy a "new" Mac .. And that newness cost a bit more than refurbished Macs, even a perfectly good one :D

And when I said about gambling, that fits too. Refurbished come as surprise items. Like OP said, today he suddenly see a refurbished iMac with i7 and 2GB VRAM for $2000 or so!! How about tomorrow? Can you find what you want regularly on refurbished Mac section?

Sometimes you only see iMac i3, the next day is i7 but not 27" , other day it has iMac with SSD and i5 ... everyday is a surprise, and you can't guess what refurbished item comes the next day. Better specced Mac would be off the chart quickly.

What do you call it then? Lottery? Gambling? Luck? Good fengshui? Maybe I should look a better term for that :rolleyes:

16. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Refurbs can also come with "bonuses"....my mini was listed as having 512M RAM....actually came with 1GB....others have gotten larger hard drives, etc.

17. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Do you have ANY proof to substantiate "higher risk of failure"?

18. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

It's good to see that you've got a handle on the things that are important, like what's on the box. Do you use your packaging as decoration in your house? Is it hung on the wall like a picture, or have you made a sculpture out of it?

By the way, do you know what the word "incoherent" means? It describes your posts perfectly.

As for the OP, you may not have a need for 2GB of video RAM now, but what about in the future? There's no way of upgrading, meaning you'd need to buy a new computer.

19. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the refurbs are a much better deal , at very least they really go through quality control and get faulty parts replaced ...ok that what Apple says

20. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well .. thanks all for bullying me about "refurbished Macs" ... No .. I don't have statistical proof about refurbished mac having higher risk of failure. Do you have the opposite proof too? Do you have the numbers? The source? I'm not even sure that kind of data is easily available for common people.

Most of you only talk based on opinion, self experiences, etc and so did I, the bitter fact is just I'm being the minority here and people enjoy it, so yeah .. shoot happens I guess.

And still, getting a refurbished is all about luck, you can't always get what you looking for. Maybe if you're LUCKY, you can get close enough with a spec that you want. But sure, I must be wrong here. Refurbished is 10000x way better than a brand new one. Let's just hope Apple only sell refurbished Mac in the future :cool:

As for the box. I was kidding, geez .. yeah I kept my box on closet and hardly open it or even looking at it anymore. But still it's good looking compared to plain one. You may retain a bit better price if you still keep that insignificant shiny box

Thumb down as you please :rolleyes: Thank you

21. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

I am not sure of the reason why people are downvoting you - likely nothing based in facts - but that is exactly true - all my refurbs have had some quirks or failed components earlier that my newer ones. (wobbling chasis, suddenly discharging batteries, wonky ambient light sensor etc.) It was workable in the end but nonetheless good to keep in mind that refurbs were returned for a reason and Apple's repair/refurb process is not as perfect as the original manufacturing.

22. SawceBaws macrumors member

Lol, I love it how some people actually think refurbs are better than BRAND NEW machines.

Don't be cheap and buy a new one. If you work at McDonald's for $200 a month, then that's a different story.

23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Better be careful here ... you wouldn't want to get bashed by saying there is something wrong with refurbished Macs. Some people just believe they have been through 100 x Apple's super inspection and QC .. offered on lower price, while brand new Mac only get 1 puny checking and more expensive.

24. 32gb3gwifi macrumors member

Lol, not better just as good.:rolleyes:

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That is utter nonsense. The reason that Apple cuts the price is because these items have been returned and cannot legally be sold as new, even when they are exactly as good as new. If you buy a refurbished Mac and it is not in perfect condition that you would expect from a new one, you return it.