The Next iPhone XR Will Supposedly Have a Nearly 6% Larger Battery

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:42 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the iPhone XR already has the longest battery life of any iPhone ever, a new supplier-focused report from Korean website The Elec claims that the 2019 version of the device will feature an even larger battery capacity.

[​IMG]
    MacRumors mockup of 2019 iPhone XR in new green and lavender colors

The report claims the next iPhone XR will have a 3,110 mAh battery, around 5.7 percent larger than the 2,942 mAh battery in the current model:
    That means the next iPhone XR's battery would still have slightly less capacity than the 3,174 mAh battery in the current iPhone XS Max, but the latter device consumes more power overall. Moreover, the next-generation iPhone XS Max is expected to gain a larger battery too.

Back in April, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that battery capacities for the next iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR could increase by 20 to 25 percent, 10 to 15 percent, and up to five percent respectively to accomodate the rumored two-way wireless charging feature on all three devices.

Apple is widely expected to unveil its trio of 2019 iPhones in September as usual. The next iPhone XR is expected to be upgraded to a dual-lens rear camera system and is rumored to be available in new green and lavender colors.

Of note, The Elec is not a site with an established track record in relation to Apple rumors. Last month, the website claimed that Samsung is in talks with Apple about supplying OLED displays for a 16-inch MacBook Pro and future iPad Pro models. For now, treat these rumors with at least some skepticism.

Via: PhoneArena

Article Link: The Next iPhone XR Will Supposedly Have a Nearly 6% Larger Battery

2. Ballis macrumors 6502a

3. bigboyz12000 macrumors member

bigboyz12000

Im hoping these phones are lighter. The XR is HEAVY. Love the screen size but its HEAVY. I didn't buy one and glad i didn't. XS is heavy and thick enough thank you very much.

4. acblue94 macrumors regular

acblue94

So ugly! Square camera bump out for just two lenses. Seriously.

5. jonjames505 macrumors newbie

jonjames505

Why not just say 5.7% larger battery? "nearly 6%" is just silly

6. kerplunknet macrumors 6502

The square bump is awful and not necessary.

Today’s iPhone XR is a really decent device, but it’s too heavy.

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Important to note, that like megapixels, milliamp hours is not the sole determining factor in how much battery life you get.

8. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Doesn’t take away from how good the phone is. I don’t get how so many people are up in arms over the square camera enclosure. It least it’s symmetrical/neat. There’s plenty of other beauty in the phone’s design.

9. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

They need to beef up the battery in the next XS. That phone battery has been awful. Seriously makes me consider getting an XR for the battery alone.

10. ksec macrumors 6502a

If we could gain any efficiency from iOS 13, ( there are lots of changes under the hood ), SwiftUI ( Although I doubt Apps will adopt it this quick ) new SoC with 7nm+, along with other tweaks to bring 10% energy efficiency, we could see a total of ~17% improvement.

That is on top of the current XR which already has a pretty good battery life.

11. Drogba11 macrumors member

12. ksec macrumors 6502a

Hopefully they improve the OLED, current it is eating up quite a bit of battery.

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Is it a physically bigger battery? Or improved technology allowing more capacity in the same volume (or smaller)?

14. Tivoli_ macrumors member

These small incremental improvements are tiresome.
    It has the same effect on me like Intel's processor speed increases in times past.

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Can't see anything to complain about here. More battery capacity is always welcome.

16. mudflap macrumors 6502

mudflap

People complaining about the weight of the XR: It's literally .7 oz heavier than the iPhone X. It's not that heavy. it has a bigger battery and the longest battery life of any iPhone ever released, getting 3 hours more internet use and wireless video playback than the X. Heck the iPhone 8+ is 7.12 oz and its screen is .6" smaller than the XR (albeit a higher dpi display).

Seems Apple can't win. Smaller battery, lighter phone = "battery life sucks!" Bigger battery, better battery life = "OMG I can barely lift it!"

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I would love the green XR. But i will stick with my current yellow for at least 3 more years.

18. jacks64 macrumors member

jacks64

You must be using it wrong.My XS battery is pretty good.Mostly get a full day.

19. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

"the best iPhone we have ever created!"

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’ve had the best battery life thus far with the XS personally over any other iPhone. Also, your comment is a bit broad stroked, battery longevity really depends on the [usage and settings], which make a significant impact on the battery life throughout the day.

21. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

Lol "Using it wrong" No it is an undersized battery and OLED screen draining the battery. That, along with the garbage intel modem make me can't wait to get rid of the XS.

22. Classie macrumors regular

That is not news worthy... come on!

23. Premium1 macrumors 6502a

Thank you, I had no idea usage and settings will lead to battery drain /s. The X for me was much better in terms of battery. The XS has been a mess since launch.

24. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Out of curiosity, what else about the battery drives battery life?

25. dms_91 macrumors regular

dms_91

exactly what I did...lol XR battery is awesome