Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2016 or 2017 release for Ipad Pro 2?

• Late 2016

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Early 2017

Votes: 82 74.5%

• Total voters

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Very interesting results of the poll, most seem to think a 2017 release. I think it would be great in some ways for the iPads to be updated in spring... spreads releases around the year
That's my reasoning. September event for flagship iPhone, maybe low-end iPads (Mini). WWDC for laptops/desktops and software. And a Spring event for iPad Pros and low-end iPhones.
Winter event for anything that's available, it's the lead up to Xmas so they don't really need to do much, going to make buckets of profit regardless :)

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think Apple may want to switch the iPad refreshment time back to Spring to make the earnings more evenly distributed throughout the quarters.
Hadn't thought of that. They've had more pressure on them lately in that regard. But I'm hoping that if they do that, they put the X version of next year's chip into them instead. So the iPhone 7 gets the A10, the iPad Pro gets the A11X the next spring, and then the newest iPhone gets the A11 the following autumn. I don't know if it's possible to do that, but considering the profit margins are a lot higher on the iPad Pro, I hope they're able to figure it out. Otherwise you end up with an iPhone six months later with a newer chip that probably runs as fast or faster than the "X" version on the previous generation. Just look at what happened with the A9 and the A8X. While the Air 2 holds it's own on the multicore scores (barely), the single core scores were getting killed by the iPhone 6s. For an iPad Pro that shouldn't happen in less than six months. It would be like the Mac Pro coming out in April and then a Mac Mini faster than the Mac Pro coming out in September, except that maybe the price difference isn't as extreme.

Sometimes I wish Apple would just charge however much it takes to make a real iPad Pro that can just really get some work done. Right now it seems like a half-hearted attempt. I realize it's first gen but I'm just getting impatient.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
We're going to drag out that old chestnut eh?
People who say this fall into one of two categories: (1) Under their description of "innovation", Apple never was an innovator, or (2) They don't really know what "innovation" is.
And people with this attitude come in two flavors:

(1) They don't have personal accomplishments so they latch themselves onto a brand in order to feel a sense of importance.

(2) Judgemental Prick

There are MANY uses of the term "Innovation" that go beyond the usage in Apple's marketing department.

Also, your assertion about "hype" and "habit" being the main driving force behind Apple's products is wrong. Again, regular people buying iPads outnumber the Apple die hardcore buyers (those that upgrade often). By a LOT.
No, not the main driving force behind Apple's products. A factor that causes users to unecessarily rebuy an updated model of a device that does 98% of what their current 11month old model does. Something that most of us freely admit to doing.

You're looking for an argument where people are talking civil. Congratulations on escalating things by being overly defensive in a room full of people who share like interests.

Last edited:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Way to miss the point

There was no point to miss - just another jab at the red-headed, orphan iPad that people somehow felt they were being ripped off by Apple - my point was the iPad 3 was a great iPad and my granddaughter would claim, still is.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
No, not the main driving force behind Apple's products. A factor that causes users to unecessarily rebuy an updated model of a device that does 98% of what their current 11month old model does. Something that most of us freely admit to doing.
In fairness, folks on MacRumors aren't really representative of the general buying public. Most of my relatives have iOS devices and they've never even heard of MacRumors. My aunt still has an iPhone 5c and iPad 2 that she's perfectly happy with. She prefers to spend money on jewelry, clothes, shoes and bags.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
#1. Keep an eye open for when Production of the iPad Air 2 stops
#2. Look to see if major retailers are re-ordering iPad Air 2s

How does one do either/both of these to correctly gauge when a new iPad is pending?

Short answer...you can't.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
This is such a crazy theory I think there might actually be something to it. Occam's razor doesn't apply here anymore. What makes sense doesn't happen and the predictable nature of Apple is right out the freaking window. What if they know people hold off on iPads until the next predictable event? What if they wanted to throw the schedule into chaos so nobody would even bother asking "is it safe to buy now?' And they just buy now because nobody knows anything. Or maybe I'm just talking out my butt. And what if cheese wiz is some big conspiracy to throw the idea of cheese into disarray? What if "cheese" isn't what we think it is and we actually don't know anything?

This made me laugh way more than it should've. Imagine them advertising it like that

It's the same way in that we don't really know what Cool Whip is either. It's certainly not whipped cream.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
And people with this attitude come in two flavors:

(1) They don't have personal accomplishments so they latch themselves onto a brand in order to feel a sense of importance.

(2) Judgemental Prick

There are MANY uses of the term "Innovation" that go beyond the usage in Apple's marketing department.

You're looking for an argument where people are talking civil. Congratulations on escalating things by being overly defensive in a room full of people who share like interests.

Really? You're the one who's resorting to name calling.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
All I'll say is the iPad Mini has been updated every single year in September or October since launch, and the Air is desperate for an update too, so my bet is updates across the range bar the iPad Pro 9.7" at the end of this year.

Spec wise:

iPad Mini - updated to the A9 SOC, same as iPhone 6S but clocked higher.
iPad Air - updated to the A10X low end model, clocked slower, maybe less GPU cores, 2GB RAM
iPad Pro 12.7" - updated to the high end A10X with 4GB RAM, higher clock speeds, maybe more GPU cores.

I'm hoping to get a iPad Mini with an A9 at the end of this year as a present :)

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
That's my reasoning. September event for flagship iPhone, maybe low-end iPads (Mini). WWDC for laptops/desktops and software. And a Spring event for iPad Pros and low-end iPhones.
Winter event for anything that's available, it's the lead up to Xmas so they don't really need to do much, going to make buckets of profit regardless :)
+1

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
There won't be much of a reason to upgrade to ipad pro 2 12.9 inch unless it's a 4K screen with 3D touch and 6 GB ram.......camera capabilities do not matter much on the larger pro.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
All I'll say is the iPad Mini has been updated every single year in September or October since launch, and the Air is desperate for an update too, so my bet is updates across the range bar the iPad Pro 9.7" at the end of this year.

Spec wise:

iPad Mini - updated to the A9 SOC, same as iPhone 6S but clocked higher.
iPad Air - updated to the A10X low end model, clocked slower, maybe less GPU cores, 2GB RAM
iPad Pro 12.7" - updated to the high end A10X with 4GB RAM, higher clock speeds, maybe more GPU cores.

I'm hoping to get a iPad Mini with an A9 at the end of this year as a present :)

My guesstimate:
iPad mini now iPad 7.9" - update to A9, higher clock, iP6S camera
iPad air now iPad 9.7" - update to A10, higher clock, iP6S camera (Non X soc)
No update for the Pro line (only in March/April 2017 with A10X)

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
There was no point to miss - just another jab at the red-headed, orphan iPad that people somehow felt they were being ripped off by Apple - my point was the iPad 3 was a great iPad and my granddaughter would claim, still is.

The point is simple, a new iPad came out 6 months later, something those that bought the iPad 3 DID NOT expect

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
The point is simple, a new iPad came out 6 months later, something those that bought the iPad 3 DID NOT expect

And here's what one reviewer had to say on the 3 vs 4

" OUR VERDICT "

Although we haven't yet had our hands on the new iPad with Retina display, it's safe to say that third-generation iPad owners shouldn't upgrade. We've yet to hear anyone with an iPad 3 complain that it isn't fast enough, and the Lightning connector is - if anything - a reason not to upgrade. If you own an iPad 2, there's a much stronger case to upgrade. In fact, if you can afford to, it's a no-brainer."

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
To be honest I see a lot of the moves being apple trying not to do an iPad 3 type of ticking everyone off move. No new 12" update to tick off people that just bought one. Anyone buying a 12" can be happy with more ram, USB 3.0 and people buying the 10" can be happy with a more acurate display, better camera and more up to date features like always on Siri and true tone.

Think about those and each advantage is better for that particular device. The 12" is more of a laptop multi task type of device so USB 3 and Ram suits that use case better. The 10" is more mobile so camera and screen adjustment as you move between environments and Siri if you don't want to use keyboard input are more important. Apple actually played it pretty smart honestly.

Extending this I doubt we see a 10" update in fall but I doubt they want to keep these staggered either. So I'd guess we see refreshes next spring for both. Watch + iPad in spring would probably help balance out their revenue with iPhone in fall and Mac updates mid year keep the money flowing between them.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
My guesstimate:
iPad mini now iPad 7.9" - update to A9, higher clock, iP6S camera
iPad air now iPad 9.7" - update to A10, higher clock, iP6S camera (Non X soc)
No update for the Pro line (only in March/April 2017 with A10X)

I can't see them putting the iPhone 6S camera into the Mini and Air. They will keep costs down then to protect their profit margin, I would much rather have 32GB base storage, not that they'll ever do it.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
And here's what one reviewer had to say on the 3 vs 4

" OUR VERDICT "

Although we haven't yet had our hands on the new iPad with Retina display, it's safe to say that third-generation iPad owners shouldn't upgrade. We've yet to hear anyone with an iPad 3 complain that it isn't fast enough, and the Lightning connector is - if anything - a reason not to upgrade. If you own an iPad 2, there's a much stronger case to upgrade. In fact, if you can afford to, it's a no-brainer."

This is so far above your head I don't even know what to say anymore

Reactions: Ghost31

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
October has been the iPad refresh period the last few years. Unless they move they have both iPads refreshed in March, I think the 12.9 will be updated in the fall with the mini and the 9.7 in March.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
You are going to need patience my friend but we'll get there eventually!

No I think he's on to something here. Apple's going to drip feed features one after another to make us bite.

Either that or, I'm starting to think they actually don't have a road map and they are just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I can't see them putting the iPhone 6S camera into the Mini and Air. They will keep costs down then to protect their profit margin, I would much rather have 32GB base storage, not that they'll ever do it.
From using the best camera for the New iPad Pro to having the beautiful campaign of iPhone photos, I believe Apple is using the camera/photography/video as one of the tent poles of iOS hardware (particularly vs the competition, but also as an upgrade motivator)

You are right that Apple wants to keep their cost down, but adding 32Gb of storage does not drive/accelerate upgrade cycle...that's what they need in the iPad segment (almost 50% of iOS h/w sales are basic models, see ASPs)

Reactions: apolloa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.