The official 2006 NCAA Football season thread

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
307
0
SC
buryyourbrideau said:
leave your comments, predictions, hopes and rants. you can see who i am favoring in my avatar :D
Completely given up on your team for this year have you?? ;)

I don't know about for 2006, but for this year, I think my team - Tennessee - has a good shot.
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,346
1
Kwyjibo said:
I love all the Much Fichigan Shirts around here
Bruce Weber thinks it's Coach "K". "According to some Illinois Fans, Bruce Weber was referring to Coach K when he said this:
There is a certain coach, and I think a lot of you know him, but he was recruiting a player from our state this year and he told the play that at Illinois they talk about Big Ten championships and at his school they talk about national championships. Well, last night we played and they didn't and we're talking about national championships".
Weber Calls Out Coach K But then, I don't know what that has to do with football?
 

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
571
0
Boise, ID
I am a huge Oregon Duck fan (probably couldn't tell from the name.) I remember play you Michigan guys a few years ago. ;) That was a good time!

This years upset special is bound to be USC. We have a new offence installed, have some good returning talent, and play at home (a BIG advantage). :D

Alright maybe a long shot... but I will be at the game either way. I am so happy football season is starting!!
 

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
xsedrinam said:
Bruce Weber thinks it's Coach "K". "According to some Illinois Fans, Bruce Weber was referring to Coach K when he said this:
There is a certain coach, and I think a lot of you know him, but he was recruiting a player from our state this year and he told the play that at Illinois they talk about Big Ten championships and at his school they talk about national championships. Well, last night we played and they didn't and we're talking about national championships".
Weber Calls Out Coach K But then, I don't know what that has to do with football?
Muck Fichigan began with football, my SIGNATURE, which shows up on all posts ... not just those in this thread has that quote. I was at the rally when bruce weber said that, he definitely enthralled the crowd with that one. Yes the quote has nothing to do with football.
 

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
While I root for Illinois because I'm an alum, I have no grand expectations of their performance this year. New coach. No proven quarterback. Team has been floundering the past couple of years, etc.

I always hope they'll play well, but really I would be ecstatic to see them go .500 this year. More likely something like 4-7 or 3-8 :(
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,346
1
Kwyjibo said:
Muck Fichigan began with football, my SIGNATURE, which shows up on all posts ... not just those in this thread has that quote. I was at the rally when bruce weber said that, he definitely enthralled the crowd with that one. Yes the quote has nothing to do with football.
Ya, I noticed that, after the post :D Anyway I bet it was a treat to have been there. I LOVE NCAA football and, as long as Nebraska, Oklahoma and any team from Florida is reduced to watching football on TV Jan. 1-4, I'm a happy camper. :cool:
 

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
287
19
I am pretty psyched about Notre Dame this year. New coach, quarterback who gets better every game, yeah, it' gonna be a good year!

And we're looking for the USC upset at home too!
 

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
590
0
East Lansing, MI
buryyourbrideau said:
leave your comments, predictions, hopes and rants. you can see who i am favoring in my avatar :D
Yeah, I agree with the SI writer (don't remember his name) who when asked about Michigan's preseason ranking stated something along the lines of "how can you rank a team in the Top 5 who gave up an average of 37 points their last three games, lost an all-world player in Edwards and their top 2 defenders..."

The Wolverine NC Champ train will be derailed in East Lansing this year on 10/1. I can feel it.

I am pretty psyched about Notre Dame this year. New coach, quarterback who gets better every game, yeah, it' gonna be a good year!
No offense, but I have hated Notre Dame ever since their days of going 6-5 and playing on New Year's Day. They had a great run 2 years ago under Willingham. I think the week 3 matchup with MSU visiting South Bend is huge for the Spartans. I think the outcome will determine whether State has a good year (8+wins) versus a mediocre year (5-7 wins).

All in all, I think Michigan is the Big Ten favorite. OSU has to come to A2, Purdue will find a way to fold despite not having OSU or Michigan on the schedule. Haven't looked at Iowa's schedule but Ferentz knows how to win games so they could also have a shot.

Would love to pencil in Ted Ginn Jr for the Heisman but you know those voters e.g.:

"Well, he's only a sophomore and..."

In addition to Ginn Jr., I think Breaston is a guy who can go for six every time he gets a touch...
 

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
590
0
East Lansing, MI
emw said:
While I root for Illinois because I'm an alum, I have no grand expectations of their performance this year. New coach. No proven quarterback. Team has been floundering the past couple of years, etc.

I always hope they'll play well, but really I would be ecstatic to see them go .500 this year. More likely something like 4-7 or 3-8 :(
I remember when I was in school and they had Simeon Rice and Kevin Hardy on "D" and were ferocious (although Michigan rolled into Champaign that year and beat them). What they heck has happened since then?
 

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
1,212
0
Chicago
Inspector Lee said:
Yeah, I agree with the SI writer (don't remember his name) who when asked about Michigan's preseason ranking stated something along the lines of "how can you rank a team in the Top 5 who gave up an average of 37 points their last three games, lost an all-world player in Edwards and their top 2 defenders..."

The Wolverine NC Champ train will be derailed in East Lansing this year on 10/1. I can feel it.



No offense, but I have hated Notre Dame ever since their days of going 6-5 and playing on New Year's Day. They had a great run 2 years ago under Willingham. I think the week 3 matchup with MSU visiting South Bend is huge for the Spartans. I think the outcome will determine whether State has a good year (8+wins) versus a mediocre year (5-7 wins).

All in all, I think Michigan is the Big Ten favorite. OSU has to come to A2, Purdue will find a way to fold despite not having OSU or Michigan on the schedule. Haven't looked at Iowa's schedule but Ferentz knows how to win games so they could also have a shot.

Would love to pencil in Ted Ginn Jr for the Heisman but you know those voters e.g.:

"Well, he's only a sophomore and..."

In addition to Ginn Jr., I think Breaston is a guy who can go for six every time he gets a touch...
yea you cant forget about michael hart and chad henne having a chance to get heisman consideration. they were simply amazing for freshman last year. only thing that sucks is i had to purchase the espn gameplan package to see my michigan games now since i just moved to illinois.
 

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
591
0
Houston
I think Notre Dame will be lucky to peek their heads above .500. Charlie Weis will get that program back to where it should be, but it's going to take a few years. Just like it will take a few years for Spurrier to have significant success in South Carolina (hmm...both messes courtesy of Lou Holtz).

USC gets upset by Oregon...out of the national title. Texas beats Ohio St. AND Oklahoma, wins Big XII and plays in NCAA Championship against either Virginia Tech (Marcus Vick could be interesting) or Michigan (in a rematch of last year's most exciting game--the Rose Bowl...this is just wishful thinking, I really don't think Michigan will be there).

Of course, I'm a big fan of the Longhorns, and I hope that super-recruiter Mack Brown finally becomes super-coach and gets some important Ws. My complaint over the past 5 seasons has been that Texas had started off with a powderpuff schedule playing a bunch of mediocre teams before facing Oklahoma. Since we've got this Ohio St. test prior to Oklahoma, this cannot be my complaint. I think Gene Chizik is going to bring some much-needed toughness to the Defensive side of the ball that will get us over that OU hump.

Finally...for those who pay attention to the coaching staff...Jeff Madden (Assistant Athletics Director for Strength and Conditioning) is probably not related to John Madden:
 

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
1,212
0
Chicago
stevietheb said:
I think Notre Dame will be lucky to peek their heads above .500. Charlie Weis will get that program back to where it should be, but it's going to take a few years. Just like it will take a few years for Spurrier to have significant success in South Carolina (hmm...both messes courtesy of Lou Holtz).

USC gets upset by Oregon...out of the national title. Texas beats Ohio St. AND Oklahoma, wins Big XII and plays in NCAA Championship against either Virginia Tech (Marcus Vick could be interesting) or Michigan (in a rematch of last year's most exciting game--the Rose Bowl...this is just wishful thinking, I really don't think Michigan will be there).

Of course, I'm a big fan of the Longhorns, and I hope that super-recruiter Mack Brown finally becomes super-coach and gets some important Ws. My complaint over the past 5 seasons has been that Texas had started off with a powderpuff schedule playing a bunch of mediocre teams before facing Oklahoma. Since we've got this Ohio St. test prior to Oklahoma, this cannot be my complaint. I think Gene Chizik is going to bring some much-needed toughness to the Defensive side of the ball that will get us over that OU hump.

Finally...for those who pay attention to the coaching staff...Jeff Madden (Assistant Athletics Director for Strength and Conditioning) is probably not related to John Madden:
if texas and michigan meet again. i give the edge to the maize and blue since

1. no cedric benson
2. no whatever his name is (that sweet linebacker you *had*"
3. michael hart and chad henne are now sophmores, and after what they did last year, sheesh
 

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
1,285
0
29680
I predict that, like every year, the SEC will be the best conference in the nation. :p

T-E-DOUBLE N-E-DOUBLE S-DOUBLE E: TENNESSEE!
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
2,702
2
UNC Chapel Hill, they will break out with a tear away season, blowing out their opponents in each game by over 50 points, be the consensus season winner, and turn into a pro franchise by Jan, become eligible for the NFL playoffs and win the superbowl in a season never to be repeated! :eek: :p
 

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
590
0
East Lansing, MI
buryyourbrideau said:
yea you cant forget about michael hart and chad henne having a chance to get heisman consideration. they were simply amazing for freshman last year. only thing that sucks is i had to purchase the espn gameplan package to see my michigan games now since i just moved to illinois.
That sucks about having to fork over $$$ for gameplan. What games will you see on ABC? Figure because of your location you'll probably see Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa , Minn, or Northwestern before a U of M game gets picked up.

Should be a great season. I really want to see ND get pummeled at the Big House in week 2.
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
stevietheb said:
I think Notre Dame will be lucky to peek their heads above .500. Charlie Weis will get that program back to where it should be, but it's going to take a few years. Just like it will take a few years for Spurrier to have significant success in South Carolina (hmm...both messes courtesy of Lou Holtz).

USC gets upset by Oregon...out of the national title. Texas beats Ohio St. AND Oklahoma, wins Big XII and plays in NCAA Championship against either Virginia Tech (Marcus Vick could be interesting) or Michigan (in a rematch of last year's most exciting game--the Rose Bowl...this is just wishful thinking, I really don't think Michigan will be there).

Of course, I'm a big fan of the Longhorns, and I hope that super-recruiter Mack Brown finally becomes super-coach and gets some important Ws. My complaint over the past 5 seasons has been that Texas had started off with a powderpuff schedule playing a bunch of mediocre teams before facing Oklahoma. Since we've got this Ohio St. test prior to Oklahoma, this cannot be my complaint. I think Gene Chizik is going to bring some much-needed toughness to the Defensive side of the ball that will get us over that OU hump.

Finally...for those who pay attention to the coaching staff...Jeff Madden (Assistant Athletics Director for Strength and Conditioning) is probably not related to John Madden:
MADD DOG!!! :D :D

buryyourbrideau said:
if texas and michigan meet again. i give the edge to the maize and blue since

1. no cedric benson
2. no whatever his name is (that sweet linebacker you *had*"
3. michael hart and chad henne are now sophmores, and after what they did last year, sheesh
1. We have Vince, Selvin, and a far more experienced receiving corp...
2. We have Aaron Harris, and a very talented secondary
3. Agreed, but no Brailen (sp) Edwards

With that said, GO HORNS!!!
:D
 

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
287
19
stevietheb said:
I think Notre Dame will be lucky to peek their heads above .500. Charlie Weis will get that program back to where it should be, but it's going to take a few years. Just like it will take a few years for Spurrier to have significant success in South Carolina (hmm...both messes courtesy of Lou Holtz).

I agree with you that it will take Charlie some time to really bring up the program, but I can tell you that there is a sense of enthusiasm and optimism at ND that has been missing the past two years. I will be quite happy with a 7-5 season this year. But wait a couple of years, and I think you'll really see ND football the way it is meant to be played! I'm headed to the season opener at Pitt this weekend, so I'll post some thoughts next week!

Inspector Lee said:
Should be a great season. I really want to see ND get pummeled at the Big House in week 2.
Pshh, whatever. You're just bitter that ND won last year! :p Seriously, The Michigan-ND game should be fun. Always a favorite to watch. And ND needs to get the all-time winning record back from Michigan!
 

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
1,212
0
Chicago
Inspector Lee said:
That sucks about having to fork over $$$ for gameplan. What games will you see on ABC? Figure because of your location you'll probably see Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa , Minn, or Northwestern before a U of M game gets picked up.

Should be a great season. I really want to see ND get pummeled at the Big House in week 2.
when i was out here before i moved there was a michigan game on ABC ahead of an illinois game but week in/week out, i knew it wouldnt be like that. seeing that im a broke @$$ college student, i just asked my grandma back in michigan and she understood and flipped me 99 bones so i could get gameplan. but hey 150 games for 99 bucks isnt bad at all. :p
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.