The official: MacBook Touch concept/mock-up thread

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
Nice, but Apple doesn't seem keen on a capital t for touch...

Also, OSX would not keep the same UI on a tablet, there would be a halfway point between Leopard and the iPhone UI...

Comment

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland

Also, OSX would not keep the same UI on a tablet, there would be a halfway point between Leopard and the iPhone UI...
About Touch(touch) You're right, I'll fix that.

Hmm not shure if apple would Yet again make a version of OS X for the tablet. I think It would be OS X Leopard but with multi-touch support (like finger movements and a pop up touch keyboard...)

Comment

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.

See, I think they would.

After all, you don't just want a 'big' iPhone or iPod touch.

You want a computer, in the touch form factor.

I think it would be a multi-touch enabled version of Leopard or whatever the desktops use if/when its released.

Comment

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Made a fast one, with tiger, and bigger menubar and dock and icons and text.
it's not fantastic, and the image is a bit blurry, but i'm improving :p

Attachments

Comment

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
If, and if, Apple were to do this correctly for the mass market, they would not have a regular OS X screen showing up on this tablet. It would be more of an overgrown iPhone interface.

However designers would probably prefer a stylus instead of multitouch once the novelty wears off.

Comment

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
And why would that be?
Take your finger. Press it against the screen of a 13" Macbook with a few apps open and try and precisely access everything you can see on the screen (without using your nails) in the style of the iPhone / Touch.

So now you'll be hunting for a stylus. Thing is, after Steve's very public dissing of the stylus recently, it's unlikely to find a home on an Apple tablet. Given his about-turning on previous occasions, it is possible in this eventuality as well - however, his stylus-dissing is actually very sensible and there are very practical reasons not to re-introduce it on a mass-market tablet.

Without multitouch, Apple doesn't have a game-changing device. Multitouch and stylus? That is a game-corrupting device. That's why you're unlikely to see a completely standard OS X view on a mass-market (Apple doesn't do niches these days - the Apple TV was likely a slight miscalculation on a still-too-early attempt to take over the living room) tablet Mac. If a tablet Mac is in the works, it will be optimised for the finger.

Comment

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Take your finger. Press it against the screen of a 13" Macbook with a few apps open and try and precisely access everything you can see on the screen (without using your nails) in the style of the iPhone / Touch.

So now you'll be hunting for a stylus. Thing is, after Steve's very public dissing of the stylus recently, it's unlikely to find a home on an Apple tablet. Given his about-turning on previous occasions, it is possible in this eventuality as well - however, his stylus-dissing is actually very sensible and there are very practical reasons not to re-introduce it on a mass-market tablet.

Without multitouch, Apple doesn't have a game-changing device. Multitouch and stylus? That is a game-corrupting device. That's why you're unlikely to see a completely standard OS X view on a mass-market (Apple doesn't do niches these days - the Apple TV was likely a slight miscalculation on a still-too-early attempt to take over the living room) tablet Mac. If a tablet Mac is in the works, it will be optimised for the finger.

I guess They'd just have to make some small icons, like the ones on the menu bar (BT, Wifi, Battery, sound, file, edit, etc.) a bit bigger.

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
:D

I wish he'd be allowed back. He was good fun to read.
Until his massively racist views came out, it wasn't a pleasant sight. Less said about that thread the better me thinks, what was his username so i can give him proper credit.

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Cheers for the info, I see that he his not actually banned. Updated my post to give the correct credit.

Comment