The Official Mitchell Report Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 13, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The release of the Mitchell Report is only hours away.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mitchell13dec13,1,4239116.story

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Hope some good comes of the report. While I'd love to see all illegal drugs banned and players who use them banned, I know that's not realistic. A pity, because it's hard for me to take a lot of the performances seriously. My son asked me this morning if Hank Aaron is still the home run record holder. I told him that for me he is, because Barry Bonds cheated. Ouch to have to tell him that.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm hoping that one of the first casualties will be Bud Selig.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If he hasn't been taken out yet he will survive.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

+1!

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Interesting to see how many Red Sox are on the list as Mitchell is tight with the team.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ROID ROCKET

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153129

Yeah.. I don't know who from the Sox would be on it though. Possibly some former Sox players. Remember that all of this roid taking was a few years ago. It's going to be interesting.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Also means he was using as a Red Sox. They always say his best years were in Boston.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Definitely possible. Depends on how far back he used them and how far back the report goes.

He was with Boston thru 1996, Toronto 97-98, NYY 99-03, Houston 04-06, NYY 07

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Any thought about Ortiz, he was never as strong a player with the Twins.

11. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Someone posted an unattributed list with a few current and former Sox on it.

There are a few well-known power hitters on the list such as Wilson Delgado and Neifi Perez (both already known to have been suspended for testing positive).

I do hope the report presents some good solutions to the problem, not just titillate with naming names and flinging mud.

Now when do we get the report on amphetamine use in MLB? That would be an even longer and more draining exercise.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I don't really think so. It's not like his production just jumped up over night. It gradually increased over a few years as he got better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3748

His HR and AVG were climbing steadily his last few years in Minnesota, then he came to the Sox (Fenway is a hitters park) and they continued a gradual increase.

If he took roids he would have had a larger increase in power numbers than ~+8 HR a year over a ~5 year period.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I've got to say I'd be surprised if Ortiz were on the list, for precisely the reasons Zioxide gave.

15. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not sure I get this remark, but I blame Selig for the present state of affairs. Baseball has needed a real Commissioner for a long time.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And that is why I said if he wasn't ousted yet he won't be forced out. Him and the owners have blood on their hands for steroids, its not just the players.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

As far as former Sox players, I'm gonna say Nomar and maybe Nixon could be on it. Oh and Eric Gagne

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I heard a rumor of Youk.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

lmao

taking roids doesn't help you walk at every other at bat.

I saw a preliminary leaked version of the list.. only current sox player I saw was Julian Tavarez.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Tejada named in Mitchell Report

SI: Jon Heyman

21. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, I agree. The question is whether the Mitchell Report will say as much, which if it does, could lead to Selig's retirement.

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Hopefully it does. Selig is awful.

Oh, for anyone who doesn't have access to ESPN or something, MLB.com is going to stream live video of the press conference at 2PM EST.

23. Keebler macrumors 68030

i think it's sad for society that we have so many cheaters, but such is life i guess.

they should be banned...but they won't.

they should be also sued for fraud. think of the very sick money Clemens made last year. or pettite. if this is true, then it's money gained by fraud. There's probably no way they would have been able to continue their careers (assuming the 'roids were taken within the last few years) and that's when they made a crapload more money.

what a bunch of losers.

I was one of the biggest baseball fans around when until the big strikes years ago. I was just getting back into watching some of the games b/c it can be a great sport, but now, it's even more tainted.

The NFL has been tainted, but they have a strict policy now which I believe has curbed the illegal performance enhancing drugs.

Maybe this report will be cause all the major sports to review their policies.

what a shame, but it's the players association and the league's faults for not properly putting something in place.

Cheers,
    Keebler

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Attached Files:

• oh.jpg
      oh.jpg
      File size:
      48.1 KB
      Views: