The Official waiting for core i REV B thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonathon McMast, May 17, 2010.

1. Jonathon McMast macrumors member

Hi there, first time poster long time listener.

Obviously there are issues with these new i5/i7 laptops, heat and lock up's being two of the main ones which have been reported by many users on different boards.

In light of this i thought it would be a good time to create a thread for the people that are going to hold on and wait for the successor to these "rev A" machines which should fix some of these issues.

Personally im not expecting any new features/external redesign - just a bump , i suspect apple may work on the cooling as well, as evidently this current iteration runs hot.

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

If they are updated again next summer, that's when I'll be buying a 15".

3. Jonathon McMast thread starter macrumors member

i suspect it will be around September time.

4. nomad421 macrumors member

Jonathon,

No disrespect, but I don't think Apple will be doing a rev. B on the mid-2010 MBPs. There have been reports of heat issues and screen defects. However, the number of such reports is not historically anomalous. That is to say, I don't believe the "Rev. A" (we'll call it that for the sake of discussion) are systematically broken. The problem with trying to glean such information from internet forums is that those who do have legitimate issues with their machines are *MUCH* more likely to voice their concerns than those who walk away with a machine with which they are happy. For example, when I got my 2006 MBP, I had issues with the screen. I when through 4 MBPs before I got one with which I was satisfied. During this period of frequent exchanges, I made a lot of noise on forums . . . I was truly frustrated. These machines were never revised, and statistically, my experience was somewhat of an anomaly. Now I'm not saying that there are not those with legitimate issues and truly defective machines. However, I do not believe that such defects are systematic, and as such, I do not believe we will see a revision of these machines until the next major upgrade (I'm guessing around the Jan 11 time-frame).

5. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

My 15" i7 is perfect. It only runs hot when putting a huge amount of stress on the CPU. During everything else, it runs cooler than any other laptop I've ever used.

I'd say the next revision will only be a spec bump, we won't see a design change for another year or so, maybe with Sandy Bridge.
    I also would say the next update will be around the holiday season if not as late as Feb. But then again no one really knows. The current MBP's were rumored to be released anywhere from November '09 and as late as March '10, but came out in April.

You have to take a dive eventually and I had been waiting since last September, so I hope waiting for Rev B brings what you want when it comes around.

6. Jonathon McMast thread starter macrumors member

wow, you must of used some hot laptops LOL.

7. RafMac macrumors regular

My 17" i7 is running perfect, no heat issues and battery charge stays long. Everytime Apple releases new ware there's always someone unhappy and waiting for next revision, then next revision comes out you're still unhappy. Just buy that damn thing, like how much faster it is going to be? 2-5 less seconds is not going to make your life better.

8. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Good points here.

If you think about it, most people use the forums to complain about what they have. If you have a defective product, you're more likely to complain and make noise on the forums versus someone who has a perfectly fine computer.
    I agree with no major upgrades until Jan '11 but I think that may even be just a spec bump. I don't see a "major" upgrade until next summer.

But what do I know. :rolleyes:

9. prism macrumors 6502a

LOL, so basically your strategy is to wait another at least 6 months for a potential Rev. B and enjoy it maybe for another 5 or 6 months beffore it becomes obsolete with the introduction of a new Rev. A product? Good luck!

10. Jonathon McMast thread starter macrumors member

Please don't presume to tell me what to do. I will wait for REV B and assuming currently issues are fixed, i will be more then happy to wait for it.

11. HacKage macrumors 6502

Without being disrespectful to some of this boards users as I am just a newbie, there are alot of people on this board that act as if their mac is a baby, and evey little thing is fettled over.My i7 mbp is currently running at 40c, the only time it goes up is if i am using cpu/gpu intensive programs, or when my uvet covers the vents.

I have seen threads where people are worried about rippng a movie and whether that will damage the cpu, or if by reaching 100c that will cause permanent damage.The device is meant to be used, and with the cpu options, meant to be used for a multitude of things, things that will make it heat up, or work hard.I feel alot of the people out there who are complaining about heat issue or the such are being a bit naive shall we say as to what a laptop is meant to be used for.Because of that, I honestly cant see why Apple would make changes so soon.

12. kylelnsn macrumors newbie

No problems with the 15" i7, Runs warm but cooler than any other laptop i have ever used! Also only gets really hot when 100's of things are open and running!

Not a single lock up here? am i doing something right?

No yellow tinge!

Only problem i can see is the graphics switching sapping all the battery.... but surely this can be fixed with software only!

So all in all no real reason for an update, if we do see an update wont be for a while! next year i suspect?

13. Jonathon McMast thread starter macrumors member

obsolete? do you even know what obsolete means? I have every intention of keeping the laptop for years to come, regardless of wherever or not it has the latest components.

14. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I have indeed. And they sound like jet engines with the fans spinning, where my Pro is dead silent.

15. Link2999 macrumors 6502

You can't really say that the MBP has heat issues since it's normal for temperatures to get mildly high while in use. It's nothing that's going to burn you either (like some of the laptops I have previously used).

16. rawd macrumors regular

Absolutely zero problems. Stunningly perfect hi-res matte. I've gamed on it, OSX and through Bootcamp. Use it every single day, from web browsing to CPU instensive tasks, not a single stutter or freeze. I bought it a week after the refresh

15" Core i7 is the dream machine I've been waiting for.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You're in for a major disappointment then...

My i7 MBP runs very cool. And let's not pretend that these new machines are absolutely plagued with issues. They aren't.

18. kylelnsn macrumors newbie

Hot??

Its just warm not getting hot,right now im running Photoshop 4 big files open, Illustrator 8 files open, dreamweaver 2 files, firefox 43 tabs, itunes, bootcamp with corel draw and cutstudio open (bootcamp parallels)

on nvidia chip

thats a lot of stuff and its only 66 degress c

19. nomad421 macrumors member

I just thought I'd chime in again. I too have a 15" high res anti-glare core i7. I have also had zero problems with it. The screen is perfect, the construction is solid and everything aligns properly, and it runs nice and cool. However, I still stand by my previous statement that it is important for us to recognize that there are those who have legitimate issues with these models. The need for a revision won't be decided on the basis a a few (or even a few dozen) cases. If the problems are systematic or ubiquitous, then Apple will issue a revision. Unfortunately, any consumer-level quality control will not be able to provide completely faultless machines; even at the prices charged by Apple. It seems to me that the level of issues we have seen with the mid-2010 MBPs is consistent with the launch of any new Apple product, and not indicative of the type or ubiquity of issues that would suggest a revision is necessary. However, I do hope that those who are having issues with their machines are able to have these issues resolved in a timely fashion . . . it's a truly frustrating experience when your brand new toy is broken :(.

20. Jonathon McMast thread starter macrumors member

you dont know any better then anyone else when these will arrive, so lets not pretend eh?

Also, no one is saying these machines are "plagued" with issues. Having read quite a few of your posts you come across as somewhat of a fan boy.

21. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

No revisions in Sept or 2010 for that matter. My 15" i7 7200HD runs perfect. Only gets real warm when pushing heavy video editing. Never near the temps I have seen in some threads.

Have friends with i5's and i7's no issues. I did do a clean install after it arrived. However, this is something I always do with a new Mac.

I did notice my ROM version ends in 09. Many early 2010 MBP's ended in 07. Not sure if this is relevant.

In all, the nicest Mac Notebook I have owned in 20 years. :apple:

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh goodie, a new Waiting for Arrandale thread. :rolleyes:

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've been waiting for AronDale for months. He's such a tease.

24. apolloa macrumors G4

Yeap, I wonder if this guy's other name is 'I know something'?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So many trolls in these forums lately....

25. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Well, it has been a while since the last one. :D