Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
No revisions in Sept or 2010 for that matter. My 15" i7 7200HD runs perfect. Only gets real warm when pushing heavy video editing. Never near the temps I have seen in some threads.

Have friends with i5's and i7's no issues. I did do a clean install after it arrived. However, this is something I always do with a new Mac.

I did notice my ROM version ends in 09. Many early 2010 MBP's ended in 07. Not sure if this is relevant.

In all, the nicest Mac Notebook I have owned in 20 years. :apple:

Would you recommend everyone does a fresh install? What are the benefits?

I've been waiting for AronDale for months. He's such a tease.

Haha! Is it one of these guys?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
you dont know any better then anyone else when these will arrive, so lets not pretend eh?

Also, no one is saying these machines are "plagued" with issues. Having read quite a few of your posts you come across as somewhat of a fan boy.

Right, I'm a fanboy because I don't claim every i5/i7 is defective because some new MBP owners (including myself) are coming to this support forum looking for help.

In the four threads you've posted in on this forum you seem to be nothing but a troll. 100% of your posts are you trying to convince yourself that the i5/i7 line is defective and you'll be waiting for Rev. B. Congrats, get a blog.

If there is even another MBP refresh before Sandy Bridge I don't see how it'd be in four months. Just look how long it took for Arrandale. What makes you think September?

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Right, I'm a fanboy because I don't claim every i5/i7 is defective because some new MBP owners (including myself) are coming to this support forum looking for help.

In the four threads you've posted in on this forum you seem to be nothing but a troll. 100% of your posts are you trying to convince yourself that the i5/i7 line is defective and you'll be waiting for Rev. B. Congrats, get a blog.

If there is even another MBP refresh before Sandy Bridge I don't see how it'd be in four months. Just look how long it took for Arrandale. What makes you think September?

+1. The current lines are not defective. Many of my friends use their core i5s throughout the day in classes and they have no complaints. If your going to let a few 'hot' cases bother you, than you shouldn't buy a product with a large following. There will always be complaints for every apple product. Someone somewhere will find something wrong with it.

Jonathon McMast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010

No, I'm not trying to convince myself of anything, please try not to assume what people are or are not thinking.

Jonathon McMast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
+1. The current lines are not defective. Many of my friends use their core i5s throughout the day in classes and they have no complaints. If your going to let a few 'hot' cases bother you, than you shouldn't buy a product with a large following. There will always be complaints for every apple product. Someone somewhere will find something wrong with it.

See thread on this page, 30% of users have problems.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Yep, because that's a very scientific poll... :rolleyes:

I have to agree with others here. If you're waiting for something that is perfect - with nobody who is unhappy with some aspect of the system - you'll be waiting forever.

In the meanwhile - I'll be enjoying my i7 15" MB Pro. :)

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
No, I'm not trying to convince myself of anything, please try not to assume what people are or are not thinking.

It's not 'assuming' when your posts are the empirical evidence.

I'm still curious -- why do you expect another refresh in September? Did you cover your eyes and throw a dart at a calendar?

Rogue.

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Telford. UK.
Hi there, first time poster long time listener.
In light of this i thought it would be a good time to create a thread for the people that are going to hold on and wait for the successor to these "rev A" machines which should fix some of these issues.

Has there been any MBP release that has not had it's fair share of issues?

It has been said many times on these forums and others that the number of issues are not proportional to the number of satisfied customers as they do not feel the need to start a thread about how good their MBP is.

Looking forward to your "Waiting for i core Rev C/MBP2011/MBP2012/MBP2013" threads, as I doubt any release will be good enough for you.

If you just went ahead and purchased one you may find yourself lucky enough to be one of the 80% (That has actually bothered to say how good their MBP is performing) of buyers with a problem free machine. :)

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009

I don't see the thread on this page but I saw this one.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/917392/

So less then 10% of MR readers experienced heat problems. That's pretty good since more people come to complain than to praise.

Have fun not buying something because a small majority say they have excessive heat (which is also subjective, guaranteed that some of those % is using their laptops on a bed or blanket which blocks vents. Some might be running clamshell mode and some might have a case+keyboard protector which prevents cooling.)

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
I'd also like to say that it might be a waste of time to respond to these threads. Some consumers simply can't afford things and prefer to find reasons to justify not buying them at all. Usually people point to miniscule issues to make themselves feel better about not purchasing products (usually expensive ones).

Ex. The Ferrari is nice and all, but the interior sucks.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
wow, you must of used some hot laptops LOL.

Honestly these things don't run as hot as you may think; sure under load with the 330M running it definitely heats up - but what do you really expect? You'll get that with any laptop running a non-integrated GPU. Personally, My CPU idles between 35-42C with iTunes, Chrome, Adium and Steam on; the heat isn't noticeable to the touch until about 60C (IE, stressing the machine).

Also, I'm sure you'll enjoy the next revision of MBPs with their own unique problems and defects; enjoy! But alas, I have bitten the trolls bait.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK

If you're referring to this poll https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/917392/ surely you mean 30% of people who responded to the poll have problems. You can't take a sample of 158 people and then expand it to encompass all MBP users.

Yes there are going to be problems, any electronics equipment is going to suffer from some form of failure rates, especially laptops. However there is nothing to indicate that there is a higher than usual case with the new MBPs. Thankfully the only issue I've had with mine is that it was taking over 10 seconds to go to sleep when I closed the lid, a bit of research and a couple of terminal commands to switch off safe sleep and a restart has fixed that, now it takes 1-2 seconds.

If you're going to let a vocal minority to put you off buying a MBP then you may be better off buying some stone and a chisel, can't get much more reliable than that dude.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
this is one of the dumbest threads yet. here's an idea, instead of waiting another 10 months for rev B, which for all we know is going to have REAL problems, unlike the current machines, go out and return your current one until you get one that isn't a lemon.

Jonathon McMast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
It's not 'assuming' when your posts are the empirical evidence.

I'm still curious -- why do you expect another refresh in September? Did you cover your eyes and throw a dart at a calendar?

Citation please? at no point have i said that "i am trying to convince myself" of anything, so yes, you are assuming what i am thinking.

Cheers

JM

unamused

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
wow this thread has really fallen apart....

for those of you waiting for rev B.... assuming you can afford it right now, i say just go for it.

who says "rev b" will actually fix anything? if anything, it could bring on an entire new set of problems you cant even think of now.

personally im waiting for the BTS sale

stjohnswell

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
My Rev A 15" i7 runs great and is a keeper. Rev B is the addition of an SSD, rumoured to be sometime around my birthday. :)

cyclical

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
That's 30% of the people that are users/members of this site. Not 30% of new MBP users total. Big difference, my good man. :rolleyes:

Isn't that poll a "Choose all that apply"-type poll? In which case I'd guess the number is less than 30%, if you consider that many people are experiencing more than one issue.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Oh goodie, a new Waiting for Arrandale thread. :rolleyes:

Waiting for anything thread.

Why don't you just start a website "waitingforxxxxxintelprocessor.org"

give it a rest. They update everything as it needs to be. Buy I now or wait, I don't care, apple doesn't care, guy next to you doesn't care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.