Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
MacsRgr8 said:
BTW...

Zidane should have hit Materazzi harder.
Take a look and his behaviour...
Yes, Materazzi is a dirty player. But at least he made an attempt at a play on the ball rather than Zidane's flat out assault.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
calyxman said:
Don't mean to go off topic, but what's the song they always play at the end of a world cup match?

It's based on Pachelbel's Canon. The tune has been used for many songs over the centuries as you can see from the Wikipedia article. Under "Other uses," you can see the mention of it being used as the basis for soccer/football chants...don't know how that got started though.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
bruce arena was not renewed his contract today.
it looks no coaches, no matter how well or bad they did, survived this world cup.
Off the top of my head : arena, klinsmann, pakerman, lippi, perreira, erikson, petkovic, guimarraes, duikovic, la volpe, aragones.
how many will stillbe there in a month's time?

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
WildCowboy said:
It's based on Pachelbel's Canon. The tune has been used for many songs over the centuries as you can see from the Wikipedia article. Under "Other uses," you can see the mention of it being used as the basis for soccer/football chants...don't know how that got started though.

Thank you very much. :)

alex131992

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2006
the stupidest thing i saw in the world cup was the head-butt by Zedene, that was a very stupid way to end a career.

and i just played the head-butt game..............ROFL

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
Don't panic said:
bruce arena was not renewed his contract today.
it looks no coaches, no matter how well or bad they did, survived this world cup.
Off the top of my head : arena, klinsmann, pakerman, lippi, perreira, erikson, petkovic, guimarraes, duikovic, la volpe, aragones.
how many will stillbe there in a month's time?
If your including coaches that left on their own, you can add Japan's coach Zico to your list.

satty

macrumors 6502
Final chapter

I don't want to warm up things... FIFA finished the last chapter of the 2006 World Cup by announcing the fines for Zidane and Matterazzi:

Zidane, suspended for 3 games and a fine of 7500 Swiss Francs.
Matterazzi, suspended for 2 games and a fine of 5000 Swiss Francs.

Now we have to wait for next world cup :(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Since ZZ had quit football, and thus the suspension didn't matter, he asked for and got, 3 days of community service in one of FIFA's projects instead.

All in all a pretty fair verdict, that show that from now on the provoker will be held accountable but the offender will still get the hardest punishment...

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Jaffa Cake said:
Don't forget that there's the small matter of the European Championships taking place in two years time. ;)

A friend has 2 tickets (8th row) for France-Italy at the Stade de France in September. :D :D :D

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
All in all a pretty fair verdict, that show that from now on the provoker will be held accountable but the offender will still get the hardest punishment...

you got to be kidding.

so much for fifa's touted 'fair play'.
Horrible, horrible verdict.

this is a terrible precedent in my view, because it de facto justifies violent behaviour and actually rewards giving in to ridicoulous and dangerous gestures, instead of self-control.
not to respond to insult with violence is something that we (rightly) teach our kids since kindergarten.
the message given here is that extreme violence is a fair answer to even mild insults. and all the violent whiners in the world we'll be able to make up all sorts of excuses.

I don't have problem with the two games for the italian, but a fair comparative penalty for zidane should have been at least 10 times more severe: 20 games plus giving back the ballon d'or best player award.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Don't panic said:
you got to be kidding.

so much for fifa's touted 'fair play'.
Horrible, horrible verdict.
[...]
I don't have problem with the two games for the italian, but a fair comparative penalty for zidane should have been at least 10 times more severe: 20 games plus giving back the ballon d'or best player award.
Well, I was talking relatively and thought it was good that FIFA didn't do something stupid, like giving them equal punisment. Compared to other similar cases 3 matches for ZZ was a bit on the low end, but since he's retired that's academic. I would have liked to see 1 match for MM, max. the 2 he got, and 4-5 for ZZ, if I could choose, but all in all I think the verdict is all right...

But I agree on the golden ball, it's a disgrace that Cannavaro didn't get that, headbutt or no headbutt... :(

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
jelloshotsrule said:
blame those who vote before the end of the final, i say
I know... silly time to vote... how difficult would it be to wait until the final whistle and take a quick vote then, while the podium is set and the silver medals are given out... :rolleyes:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I know... silly time to vote... how difficult would it be to wait until the final whistle and take a quick vote then, while the podium is set and the silver medals are given out...
i agree. If it was me i probably would have also voted zidane up to his crazy outburst. but Fifa should have taken it away now, to make clear that such violent behavior is not condoned.
Now the message is exactly the opposite.
I guess it pays off to be best friends with the fifa supremo...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.