'The One Device' Book Covering 'Secret History' of iPhone Available June 20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

June 29 will mark ten years since the original iPhone went on sale in the United States. And just days before the anniversary, a new book detailing the smartphone's so-called "secret history" is set to be released.

[​IMG]

The One Device: The Secret History of the iPhone, by technology journalist Brian Merchant, reflects on how the iPhone transformed the world and turned Apple into the most valuable company ever.

An excerpt of the book, which is said to contain exclusive interviews with the engineers, inventors, and developers who guided every stage of the iPhone's creation, has been published on The Verge today:
    The book can be pre-ordered for $18.50 on Amazon in hardcover format ahead of its release on June 20. It's also available to pre-order on the iBooks Store for $14.99 in digital format for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Article Link: 'The One Device' Book Covering 'Secret History' of iPhone Available June 20

2. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Hard to believe it has been 10 years since I stood in line to get my original 8GB iPhone, which I still have in it's box on my desk at home. My entire life has changed since those early days of college, but I still use an iPhone. My MacRumors account will also be 10 years old soon! I remember making an account so I could leak information about how many iPhones the Apple Store on the Plaza in KC was getting for launch. That post ended up going around that Apple store, and my friend who leaked it to me said they were questioning everyone about it. He was scared for his job for a while, and I felt really bad. I was still fairly new to Apple stuff, even though I had used some Macs in college, and didn't fully realize how severe the secrecy was surrounding every aspect of the company. I had lurked here for a couple years, but didn't realize that even retail secrecy was so high.

3. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

Well, this is an instant buy for me.

4. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Hmm.. there is a misspelling in the title of the book. For Apple it's not THE iPhone it's just iPhone. Pretty poor to miss that when you write this book.

5. TreyCox macrumors regular

6. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Haha yeah isn't it crazy? I sold my original to get the 3G, 3G to get 3GS and so on and so forth.

I still have all of the boxes though and even the original bag it came in.

I still remember the feeling I had when I got the phone on launch day. Gotta thank my mom though for giving 15 year old me her debit card hahah.

I felt so elite and cutting edge!

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

8. userblah macrumors member

Umm...what? If you were to write a book about a ball...lets say the round basketball. Would you say The Secret History of Basketball? No, because that would assume you are talking about the sport. You would say Secret History of THE basketball.

9. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah I had been following the rumors for a while and was saving up. I never bought an iPod because I kept thinking an iPhone was in the works. In college, $599 was a lot of money. I remember it was an AT&T store not far from the temp job I had that summer in KC. They had an area near the entrance after you came in where you could play with the iPhone while waiting in line. I remember the first time I pinched to zoom in Maps, or scrolled Safari, or called my friend from that device. It felt like such a far future device. It was so smooth. I remember thinking that the slab of glass felt really weird on my face compared to other phones. I remember everywhere I went, when I had that phone out, people would crowd around me and ask to see it or wanted to know what I thought about it. It's the closest I've ever felt to possessing magic. It's difficult to describe to kids nowadays. My kids will never know a world without multitouch and constant connectivity.

10. Ant2369 macrumors member

Ant2369

That's different...iPhone is supposed to be referred to as iPhone never The iPhone. When it was released Apple employees went through training teaching them to call it iPhome....Same with them not liking devices pluralized..

11. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

"It's a book and a doorstop and a paper weight. Do you get it? A book, a doorstop, a paper weight." - 2007

12. ibwb macrumors regular

Apple can say whatever they want in their brand guide but no editor worth their salt will accept that as gospel for their style guide.

13. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

This is the dumbest thing I have read in a long long time...

14. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

The word "slurp" is revolting. Almost as bad as "moist."
    I hope the author makes up for the use of this word. Otherwise I'll pass.

15. recoil80 macrumors 68000

So Phil was adamant about the hard keyboard. He didn't have much courage back then :D
    I think I'm going to read the book, it looks interesting

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

But, this isn't retail sales. It's a book accounting the history of an item. That item is "the iPhone."

I absolutely get retail employees being told to refer to it as "iPhone" because you don't want anyone to think that "The iPhone" is the name of the device.

I do not think there is any confusion and this product has been around for 10 years.

17. NightFox macrumors 68000

NightFox

Yeah but that's following the normal, conventional rules of English, not Apple's who seem to love to dropping the definite article and referring to their devices as collective plural nouns, e.g. "Give iPad this Holiday Season". The only other time I can think of this commonly being used in English is with unpleasant diseases, such as "I got dysentery".

18. SeminalSage macrumors newbie

SeminalSage

"I had been hearing rumblings about, well, it was unclear what was being built, but it was clear that a lot of the best engineers from the best teams had been slurped over to this mysterious team," says Evan Doll, who was then a(n apparently just okay) software engineer at Apple...

Like being the last kid picked for dodgeball.

19. neutralguy macrumors 6502

20. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

For copies sold through iBooks, yes, that is Apple's standard cut.

21. marvz, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

And still it's true. iPhone belongs to Apple and they say it's called iPhone and not the iPhone.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Eh? It's just the name of the product and since the book is about all iPhones it does make even more sense to call it "The secret history of iPhone".
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Wow. Did you read your own answer? It actually states why it should be called "Secret history of iPhone" - because it's not about one acutal phone but all iPhones and their history.

22. omihek macrumors regular

omihek

Nope, I just double-checked. Both words are spelled correctly.

23. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple does this because the unconventional grammar is VERY noticeable to native English speakers. It works about as well as turning up the volume in TV ads, Maybe even better. The missing word is a kind of branding. When you notice it you know it is an Apple product.

But just because Apple does this, does not mean we have to. We are not selling iPhones or trying to creat a brand.

24. Munky macrumors 6502

25. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

Look at launch video of the original iPhone. Steve Jobs himself calls it the iPhone during the presentation...