Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stars&Stripes

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
NYC
And still it's true. iPhone belongs to Apple and they say it's called iPhone and not the iPhone.
[doublepost=1497371467][/doublepost]
Eh? It's just the name of the product and since the book is about all iPhones it does make even more sense to call it "The secret history of iPhone".
[doublepost=1497371610][/doublepost]
Wow. Did you read your own answer? It actually states why it should be called "Secret history of iPhone" - because it's not about one acutal phone but all iPhones and their history.

You just called them iPhones ;)

Reactions: InAustralia

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I was watching the video that the Verge embedded. Around 13:00, Steve Jobs talks about music subscription services and how he doesn't like them, because the company offering it ropes you in with a low price and then gradually increases prices over time. Also, he said he didn't like the fact that people didn't own the music; you stop paying and your music goes away.

How far we've come....

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Hmm.. there is a misspelling in the title of the book. For Apple it's not THE iPhone it's just iPhone. Pretty poor to miss that when you write this book.

Apple does that for trademark reasons. A real trademark lawyer explained the usage-related rules, and the lack of articles when referring to the thing in question was part of the rules.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Nice title. I never thought to compare the iPhone to The One Ring from Lord of the Rings.

(They are alluding to that, right?)

Also, coming up on 10 years since I started my announce, but I had been reading MacRumors for at least a few years before making my account.

Reactions: Goatllama

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I hope one of the "secrets" is why iOS and iMessage have more lag on the iPhone 6 than it does on the 3GS, despite being how many multiples more powerful. :rolleyes:

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
pre-ordered on iBooks. Interesting Phil Shiller didn't want the touch interface.

cruggles

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
Amazing to remember it started with only 12 Apps, and back then those apps were awesome.

Actually, no, they weren't.

Couldn't edit a spreadsheet.

Couldn't tether to a laptop.

Couldn't copy & paste.

These three alone were show stoppers for me - my Windows phone could do all the above.

It wasn't until the 3GS that the iPhone became useful... And then I switched... :)

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
When iPhone was introduced, I was using a Palm Treo 680. Frankly, other than the multi gestures iPhone offered, such as swipe, pinch to zoom etc, it lacked so many features that it was hard to understand. My Treo could accept an SD card, play MP3 from the SD card, take pictures, could be customized, could voice dial by learning rather than rely on an internet dependent Siri like interface, could surf the web (barely with Edge), handle multiple email accounts, had replaceable battery, no propriety App Store but a variety of programs could be bought directly from the software developers and the list goes on and on.

iPhone did not even have a simple cut and paste at that time. I wondered if these "slurped" genius engineers ever used what they designed or owned a phone something similar to a Palm Treo before.

10 years later, IOS is highly refined and became very usable but Apple is always behind the Jailbreak features and most of the design improvements are copied from Jailbreak tweaks like the Control Panel, Night Shift, Personal Hotspot, Notification Center etc.

I wonder if this book will shed any light into why Apple is always trailing behind the 3rd party developers when it comes to adding new features to IOS.

Reactions: Goatllama

AZ63

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
They're just jangling keys in front of their consumers now, hoping we forget that there's still no modern Mac Mini.
We need a current Mac Mini.
Hey Apple, since you are creating a new stand alone Mac Pro how about you repurpose the old Mac Pro slightly to accommodate an updated Mac Mini. You have the manufacturing already set up to make them and you don't have to worry about the heat issues because you won't be putting high-end/high-heat components inside.
It is a win-win. We get the Mini sooner and you save on re-tooling the plant.
And... you're welcome. ;)

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
That's different...iPhone is supposed to be referred to as iPhone never The iPhone. When it was released Apple employees went through training teaching them to call it iPhome....Same with them not liking devices pluralized..
Yep.
iPhone as a name, not the definition of the object.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is interesting though the excerpt was a bit gossipy. Also the only people interviewed for the book are ex-Apple employees. I don't want just Tony Fadell's (and whoever worked under him) version of history. Especially knowing that he and Forstall were rivals who apparently didn't get along. I'm sure Scott's version of history would be different.

Reactions: 5105973

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
Yeah but that's following the normal, conventional rules of English, not Apple's who seem to love to dropping the definite article and referring to their devices as collective plural nouns, e.g. "Give iPad this Holiday Season". The only other time I can think of this commonly being used in English is with unpleasant diseases, such as "I got dysentery".

"Holiday" "Hospital" and "University" are all words England uses without an article preceding it..perhaps it is a Ive thing....
[doublepost=1497377745][/doublepost]
We need a current Mac Mini.
Hey Apple, since you are creating a new stand alone Mac Pro how about you repurpose the old Mac Pro slightly to accommodate an updated Mac Mini. You have the manufacturing already set up to make them and you don't have to worry about the heat issues because you won't be putting high-end/high-heat components inside.
It is a win-win. We get the Mini sooner and you save on re-tooling the plant.
And... you're welcome. ;)

I think they have retooled the plant for the HomePod......it only does mesh wire at this plant.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
How silly. A book about the iPhone? In 10 years will we be seeing a book about the airpods?

Chapter 6, Steve met up with engineers to discuss creating an icon for settings. One engineer produced a picture of a sprocket. Steve approved. All the engineers screamed gleefully like teenage girls.

Last edited:

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Samsung's "The History of Galaxy" outsells this ten to one, costs less than half the price and has just as many words.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Hard to believe it has been 10 years since I stood in line to get my original 8GB iPhone, which I still have in it's box on my desk at home. My entire life has changed since those early days of college, but I still use an iPhone. My MacRumors account will also be 10 years old soon! I remember making an account so I could leak information about how many iPhones the Apple Store on the Plaza in KC was getting for launch. That post ended up going around that Apple store, and my friend who leaked it to me said they were questioning everyone about it. He was scared for his job for a while, and I felt really bad. I was still fairly new to Apple stuff, even though I had used some Macs in college, and didn't fully realize how severe the secrecy was surrounding every aspect of the company. I had lurked here for a couple years, but didn't realize that even retail secrecy was so high.

Still have my original and box (opened of course). The battery is completely shot. I really wish I had it replaced a few years ago before they completely disappeared.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.