Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Also, don't forget to add in some salt. It's the best flavour enhancer out there. You could also do like I do and use salted butter for my recipes (many baking recipes call for unsalted butter and add in some salt later), just take out a pinch or two of the salt. Might also change your recipe. Try a vintage one from an old cookbook. There are often slight differences that old recipes have that make a world of difference.
As I stated, I use smoked sea salt. That is precisely how I found the recipe in the first place. I've tried out new recipes and they taste even worse.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I will say this. . . today I made pumpkin spice creme brûlée and baked it inside of miniature pumpkins. Probably one of the best creations ever. . . I don't think I want to share with anyone.

Downhilltenago

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Pizza is easily that food for me. Even though I am trying to stay away from it. Lost 30 pounds in the past 3 months. So I have to balance everything don't want to go backwards.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Pizza is easily that food for me. Even though I am trying to stay away from it. Lost 30 pounds in the past 3 months. So I have to balance everything don't want to go backwards.
Congrats on the weight loss. I lost 60 lbs in 2016 and more importantly it's staying off. Treats like pizza are now okay as I don't have any more weight to lose, but only every 2-3 months so I maintain my weight.

Downhilltenago

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Congrats on the weight loss. I lost 60 lbs in 2016 and more importantly it's staying off. Treats like pizza are now okay as I don't have any more weight to lose, but only every 2-3 months so I maintain my weight.
Congrats to you also. I'm doing the intermittent fasting and it works very good for my lifestyle. I have about 15 more pounds I want to lose for my ideal weight. One day at a time.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
At first I thought there is nothing I could eat all the time without growing tired of it, but then I remembered I eat oat porridge mixed with a couple sliced dried plums and oat milk, for breakfast almost every day.

kevy2pale

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
I love peanut butter m&ms as well... tacos are also a downfall of mine along with bbq chips

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The long Indian Summer here has done weird things to my food cravings. Ordinarily by now I've turned away from salads for dinner and am into making soups served with some good bread run until the broiler with a little butter and a kiss of garlic, but... I'm still in summer mode, fancying some torn-up romaine w/ feta cheese and a few olives, and just an oil and vinegar dressing, or maybe some grilled chicken instead of the cheese.

In November, that's pretty unusual for me up here in the mountains. But then it's pretty unusual to have such warm weather at this point too. Everyone's waiting for the axe to fall and a Thanksgiving blizzard to round the corner... I haven't even put my storm windows on yet since I'm still opening windows for fresh air while the 65-degree days last. One of these days I'm going to get a rude awakening if I forget to keep checking the forecast. Meanwhile the summer salads continue. And so does the iced coffee season!

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Our winters here would be quite mild for you, Liz. :) I've been craving soups and stews myself. It's a great way to kickoff the winter weather.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I, too, can't believe how mild it has been for so long. I was away from home for over a month and a half in the summer, returning to my own place at the beginning of September,and thought, "well, I probably won't get too many times to sit out on my deck this month," and was more than happily surprised to have been able to have been out there just about every afternoon and/or evening in September and most of October as well. Wow! Windows open, no need for either A/C or heat -- just perfect weather. Still haven't turned the heat on, still am opening windows nearly every day (except today, which is rainy, foggy and cool). This is great and I hope it portends a very mild winter here in the Washington, DC area!

Salads and light meals have still been very much a staple these last two months.....not ready to think about heavier hotter meals such as soups, curries, etc.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Japanese green tea cake.
green_tea_bread_680.jpg

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
2 things....

1). Crab legs/meat
Some say "eh, that's too much work"; if they're cooked right and you're good at cracking them, its no more "work" than anything else.

2). Lamb
Not gyro meat (AKA: "Lamb Spam")or even the traditionally Mediterranean style of lamb, but what us Croatians (and Serbians) call "BBQd Lamb". It does not have a sauce, but its bbq'd over different types of wood to create the most insane flavor. You typically just eat the meat with raw onion and some good bread. I like it with just a bunch of napkins and a salt shaker

Janjetina!!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
2). Lamb
Not gyro meat (AKA: "Lamb Spam")or even the traditionally Mediterranean style of lamb, but what us Croatians (and Serbians) call "BBQd Lamb". It does not have a sauce, but its bbq'd over different types of wood to create the most insane flavor. You typically just eat the meat with raw onion and some good bread. I like it with just a bunch of napkins and a salt shaker

Janjetina!!

Would you consider Souvlaki? because having lived in a Greek/Slavic suburb of Melbourne Australia, and that area having the biggest Greek and Slavic population outside Europe, that is probably the best lamb I have ever had.

BL.

WinkWink726

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Pittsburgh Area, PA
I've had that before, and its okay, but I'm not really a big fan of the traditional Greek type seasonings.
There's a really fantastic restaurant locally called Aladdin's Eatery and its really good Mediterranean food, but the meat flavors have an aftertaste that I can't get used to.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Sliced red cabbage and onions with grated carrots, sautéd in olive oil with a splash of red vinegar (to keep the cabbage from turning blue) and a dash of sugar or other sweetener if the splash was too enthusiastic, a little salt, freshly ground black pepper, Mediterranean herbs, a tiny bit of L&P Worcestershire sauce, served in halves of toasted whole wheat pita.

Any leftovers are for breakfast, served on brown rice. Sometimes it's hard to remember that breakfast is supposed to be eaten after you sleep and wake up again. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.