Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
They'll (presumably) follow the speed limit to a T. Not a problem in residential areas and work zones, obviously, but could be seen as a problem in areas where the good judgment of a human driver dictates that doing 5+ MPH over the limit elsewhere is, in fact, safe. In fact, sometimes the speed limit is too slow.

Obviously, we'll want to change speed limits or speed laws eventually, but what I want is a car that is capable of figuring out how fast it can safely go, and then going that speed.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
They'll (presumably) follow the speed limit to a T. Not a problem in residential areas and work zones, obviously, but could be seen as a problem in areas where the good judgment of a human driver dictates that doing 5+ MPH over the limit elsewhere is, in fact, safe. In fact, sometimes the speed limit is too slow.

Obviously, we'll want to change speed limits or speed laws eventually, but what I want is a car that is capable of figuring out how fast it can safely go, and then going that speed.

Actually, you are indirectly bringing up an advantage. Fill the roads with self-driving cars and they'll all go the same speed. Then we won't be mixing the slow drivers with the impatient drivers who feel an imperative to drive over the speed limit, which is a significant cause of accidents. Combine that with perfectly timed entries into and exits from traffic and we'll all get to our destinations sooner and safer.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I read an article a while back about if every car in Boston was self driving. I think it said traffic congestion would be decreased 30% and cars could travel from one point to another significantly faster as stop lights could also be optimized. Boston is an atrocious city to drive in, no grid system or road pattern at all, lots of one way streets, how you get somewhere one way is not the same way you get back, it's easy to get lost, even with a GPS it can be hard to navigate with so many little streets.

Reactions: milo and Huntn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
But for everybody to have self driving cars will take 50 years or more once they are readily available.
What you will more likely end up with is manual drivers pulling out in front of self drive cars when it's not their right of way, because they know the cars onboard systems will stop to prevent an accident.
At least that's what I'll be doing! :D

Reactions: flyinmac

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My problem with this whole self-driving car concept is if there is no ability to take over when you get to a spot that it can't navigate. Not everywhere I drive is a public road, or even a road. Crappy warehouse parking lots come to mind.

Reactions: v0lume4

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
two words. "GPS tracking." not always accurate. but at least it won't be speeding...

You can say "fill the roads" but that will take time, it's not gonna happen overnight, so u'll have mix self driving cars and standard one on the roads, and that is where the mayhem will be.

I dunno how long i would take to replace all cars, but that will just be the start... You also have truck drivers, busses, and the like...

Yes it will be "safer" but its not the long term solution i see it..

by the time all this is done, we'll probably be changing them again to flying cars. then we'll have a new world of problems.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
well, u can sill hurt people driving at 40kmh .... even at 5kmh in a shopping center car-park.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
But for everybody to have self driving cars will take 50 years or more once they are readily available.
What you will more likely end up with is manual drivers pulling out in front of self drive cars when it's not their right of way, because they know the cars onboard systems will stop to prevent an accident.
At least that's what I'll be doing! :D

They'll have automated-only car lanes or roads! :)

Reactions: Mousse

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I read an article a while back about if every car in Boston was self driving. I think it said traffic congestion would be decreased 30% and cars could travel from one point to another significantly faster as stop lights could also be optimized.

I think the big reason for that is because these cars can drive closer together, practically tailgate each other safely. The isn't going to be one idiot braking for no frakking reason and causing a multi-car pile up.:mad::mad::mad:

Self driving cars would be a lot safer than the typical 'Murican driver.:mad: If we made the driver license requirement a lot more stringent (weed out the bottom 90%) insurance rates would drop, speed limits would increase, benefits galore.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Like the multi occupancy lanes where you can only use them if you car share?
image.jpeg

I'm sure there will be a way round it!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
realistically, there will be a day where it will be prohibitively expensive to own and drive your own car. Someone will come up with a ride-sharing app that drives you around all the time (eliminating a need for your own car).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
realistically, there will be a day where it will be prohibitively expensive to own and drive your own car. Someone will come up with a ride-sharing app that drives you around all the time (eliminating a need for your own car).

Uber is already testing self-driving cars and it really makes perfect sense for them to remove the largest cost factor (i.e. the driver). I definitely agree with you that in the future owning a car won't be common anymore as ride-sharing is cheaper, easier and faster than having your own car.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Uber is already testing self-driving cars and it really makes perfect sense for them to remove the largest cost factor (i.e. the driver). I definitely agree with you that in the future owning a car won't be common anymore as ride-sharing is cheaper, easier and faster than having your own car.
I hate Uber. They're a terrible company run by idiots, but they're going to be all of those, but most importantly safer.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Like the multi occupancy lanes where you can only use them if you car share?
View attachment 632614

I'm sure there will be a way round it!

I won't argue that. :p However, enforcement is the key, and with all the toll roads in the area I live, I can easily see technology to determine if the car should be there or even has two drivers in it.
[doublepost=1464032748][/doublepost]

That could be.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I won't argue that. :p However, enforcement is the key, and with all the toll roads in the area I live, I can easily see technology to determine if the car should be there or even has two drivers in it.
[doublepost=1464032748][/doublepost]

That could be.
Two drivers? One minute we are talking about reducing the amount of drivers in a car, now your increasing it! One does brakes whilst the other steers?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think the big reason for that is because these cars can drive closer together, practically tailgate each other safely. The isn't going to be one idiot braking for no frakking reason and causing a multi-car pile up.:mad::mad::mad:

Self driving cars would be a lot safer than the typical 'Murican driver.:mad: If we made the driver license requirement a lot more stringent (weed out the bottom 90%) insurance rates would drop, speed limits would increase, benefits galore.

Where I live, it's not when a driver brakes for no reason and frankly they don't need a reason to brake if the drivers are following at a safe distance. I see this practically every week. It's when traffic slows, cars are following too closely, and the drivers are not paying the attention they need to pay for following that close. Usually there's a phone involved too. Just saw a 3 car accident about 150' short of a stop light this weekend.
[doublepost=1464033197][/doublepost]
Two drivers? One minute we are talking about reducing the amount of drivers in a car, now your increasing it! One does brakes whilst the other steers?

You are the one who posted the fake guy in the car. The times I've seen this kind of picture, it's to defeat the restriction of HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes that require 2 people in the car to be in those lanes. :D

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

Someone is married to a backseat driver.:eek::D I hate backseat drivers.:mad:

Maybe he's talking about one of those cars specifically made for teaching beginners. The instructor has a set of controls on his side as well. It's a lifesaver when you're trying to train a 16 year old who thinks he's Micheal Schumacher.
l.jpg

Reactions: Huntn

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
I definitely agree with you that in the future owning a car won't be common anymore as ride-sharing is cheaper, easier and faster than having your own car.

Living in a city that has decent but not great public transportation (God I miss the ESWE buses when I lived in Weisbaden), and having 2 kids, I don't ever see this happening. The wife and I both work with Jobs over 20 miles apart. The kids have soccer and softball, at fields sometimes as far away as 25 miles away from our house. There is just no way that a rideshare would ever work, or be easier than owning cars to be able to independently go to where we want or need to go.

Also, what happens if in the evening or middle of the night you have a non-emergency emergency and need to go to urgent care or the emergency room? Paramedics cost about $1600 per ride around here and not to mention the paramedics are already extremely overworked as is.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Living in a city that has decent but not great public transportation (God I miss the ESWE buses when I lived in Weisbaden), and having 2 kids, I don't ever see this happening. The wife and I both work with Jobs over 20 miles apart. The kids have soccer and softball, at fields sometimes as far away as 25 miles away from our house. There is just no way that a rideshare would ever work, or be easier than owning cars to be able to independently go to where we want or need to go.

Also, what happens if in the evening or middle of the night you have a non-emergency emergency and need to go to urgent care or the emergency room? Paramedics cost about $1600 per ride around here and not to mention the paramedics are already extremely overworked as is.

My use of the word ride-sharing probably wasn't correct, as what I meant was Uber in general, including taxi-like Uber and UberPOOL. The thing is, once self-driving electric cars become widely available, the cost Uber and similar services is going to plummet. Right now the biggest costs are the driver and gas, so once you eliminate those two the cost will be minimal as you only have to pay for electricity and deprecation of the car (Uber or similar company of course takes its profit too). When the cost of Ubering becomes nominal, why would one spend tens of thousands of dollars on their own car and take the burden of storage and maintenance on their shoulders as well? Owning a car just doesn't make financial sense anymore. Of course, rural areas are an exception as it doesn't make sense to have an Uber car nearby, making the waiting time too long.

With the cost being low, the distance becomes a non-issue too. I don't see how low-cost self-driving electric Uber wouldn't work in all scenarios you listed. Just take an Uber from home to work and back. Have coworkers living on the way? Ride-share with them to save even more. Same goes for kids - if they are old enough they can even drive alone, so no more driving to every practice and game multiple times a week. In case of a non-emergency emergency you may already need a cab if you had a few beers during the evening, so a cheap self-driving Uber just makes it better. Remember, self-driving cars can drive around 24/7 (well, they need to be charged but not all at the same time like humans who tend to like to sleep at night), so getting one at the middle of the night won't be an issue either.

I'm not saying this will happen soon because it will take decades. Most of the currently driving population is used to owning cars (like you) and it's going to be difficult to change the attitude and habits of those people. They'll likely adopt self-driving cars at some point, but most will still insist on owning their own car because of old habit. It's the younger generation (i.e. people who have never owned a car) that will adopt the shared-car economy and it will spread and become a norm from there, but it will take looooong time.

Obviously, there's going to be regional differences as well. I suspect the US won't be at the forefront of this (excluding the SF area) because owning a car is like a civil right over there and I don't judge since the public transportation is pretty much non-existent over there in most places. For me as a European and as someone who used public transportation all the time during underage years, it's going to be a smoother transition. The ridiculously high car tax helps too I guess.

Regulation will also play a big role as it can either boost or slow the adoption down. First of all, human driving needs to be banned because the requirement for efficient self-driving cars is that all cars are self-driving. Human-driven cars are unpredictable and cannot communicate with other cars in the same way that self-driving cars can, which is what makes self-driving cars so efficient (everyone driving at the same speed, perfect exits/enters, etc). Unfortunately, we all know that governments can't just ban human driving and normal cars overnight, so it's going to be a long process.

Last edited:

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Someone is married to a backseat driver.:eek::D I hate backseat drivers.:mad:

Maybe he's talking about one of those cars specifically made for teaching beginners. The instructor has a set of controls on his side as well. It's a lifesaver when you're trying to train a 16 year old who thinks he's Micheal Schumacher.
l.jpg

If I could only learn to read properly, I would have noticed your comment first. Sorry.
[doublepost=1464098188][/doublepost]
Thats funny!
Clearly your wife doesn't go on here!

Never taught her how to turn the beast on. There are some things that one has to do - just to stay alive. :)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

It IS co-operation... we get tired when we drive long routes.... At least that's something the self driving car will be good for... Now only our feet may get tired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.