Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yurieff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Please, explain to me why Apple decided to go for TN screen rather than an IPS one. I'm not asking for retina display. I'm asking for an IPS panel, given that I'm paying 2000BGN for the base model. I work in an IT retail and we have AIO barebones. The difference in the price between the TN and the IPS version of the same model is 30BGN (roughly $18).

This thing buggs me so much.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think anyone can really answer why apple opted for TN displays over IPS.

If the display is not to your liking, then I suggest a different product, otherwise you'll be looking at it everyday regretting the decision.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Apple makes probably 200-300BGN profit on the MBA. Adding a 30BGN IPS screen would cut their profit by 10-15%. That is a substantial cut in profits. So I can see that they decided to do that.

Availability of enough screens at the right time or long term contracts with suppliers might also be reasons.

In any case I personally don't see the difference in screen quality but then my eyes are not that good anymore.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
If you have ever seen an old white macbook you will know Apple has a long history of putting truly terrible displays in their "budget" laptops.

The MBA display is not that bad. I wish it was IPS too but honestly the average consumer isn't going to notice. The viewing angles are good and it gets bright enough. The only issue is having limited RGB space which makes the colors a little dull. If you do color critical work it is an issue and obviously for those who want a retina display it is an issue but otherwise the MBA display is really not that bad.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
I agree

Please, explain to me why Apple decided to go for TN screen rather than an IPS one. I'm not asking for retina display. I'm asking for an IPS panel, given that I'm paying 2000BGN for the base model. I work in an IT retail and we have AIO barebones. The difference in the price between the TN and the IPS version of the same model is 30BGN (roughly $18).

Me too - I really agree. I can't understand why Apple has not done this upgrade to an IPS panel, like for instance the edition of the HP Chromebook before this newest one (!) - yes, I think the newest one of the HP Chromebook11 is a regular non-IPS display, which is a crazy way back to the worse, but cheaper.

Saturn1217 wrote: "The MBA display is not that bad. I wish it was IPS too but honestly the average consumer isn't going to notice". I disagree. I have seen both the MBA11 display and the "corresponding" IPS display on the HP Chromebook, and it's a world of difference! So much smoother and cleaner, no grains.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
If the display is not to your liking, then I suggest a different product

That sums it up very well. I had a 2011 13" MBA and now a 2013 11" MBA. The screens on both are "good enough" for me. I use my old Apple Cinema Display when I want something bigger/better than the MBA screen.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
If you have ever seen an old white macbook you will know Apple has a long history of putting truly terrible displays in their "budget" laptops.

The black MacBook was also the same way. The only way I used mine all these years was by using it as a desktop connected to a monitor.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

The short answer is they do not want to fix what isn't broken. They've been using the same design and same tn panels for 5 years now on the 11 and 13 inch Air models. It would be an unnecessary expense for them to change the panels to IPS when the Air already sells so well as is. Sure an IPS would look better but Apple is in business to maximize profits and keep costs down. They aren't going to change anything unless the market forces them to.

Even with the TN panel the Air is the best laptop on the market for average users. I am sure we will see an IPS panel when the Air is finally redesigned this year or next.

Florpy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
ABC 4
I was under the impression that TN displays consume far less power, which is helpful in achieving that much vaunted 10 hour battery life.

That's also why I expect it's going to take some time before we see a Retina MBA.

John marts

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
The speed, portability and reliability of this laptop more than makes of for the screen. I don't even find the screen to be that bad really. Sure I have to adjust the viewing angles depending on how I'm sitting, but the colors and pixel density is more than fine.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
The speed, portability and reliability of this laptop more than makes of for the screen. I don't even find the screen to be that bad really. Sure I have to adjust the viewing angles depending on how I'm sitting, but the colors and pixel density is more than fine.

Agree. I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Everybody thought the MBA screens were great 4 years ago, and its not like human eyeballs have changed since then. Yes, the retina screens are a lot better. But the MBA screens are still fine.

I have a nice big high-resolution IPS panel for desktop use. I switch between that and my MBA fairly often. I can tell the difference but I don't mind using the MBA at all. In fact, for a TN panel, I'm pretty impressed at how saturated and accurate the greens are. The reds are a little off but that doesn't bother me much. With a screen as small as the 11.6" Air's, viewing angles aren't really an issue. It's easy to find a viewing position where you don't see any color shift across the entire screen.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
IPS panels consume more power than TN panels, that is possibly one reason aside from cost. It is supposed to be a portable device after all.

Yurieff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Actually, yes, IPS requires 15% more power but given that Intel claims Brodwell chips will be 30% more power efficient I hope the next Macbook Air will have an IPS screen.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I didn't find the screen on my MBA to be too bad either until I bought a rMBP and then I couldn't understand how I used the MBA for so long. Aside from the screen, the Air was my favorite laptop so if it does get a better display I'll be happy to return!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
That's it? The competition got better screen resolutions too, they even give you a touch screen.

Nothing we can do about it right. U buy what works for you, nobody here forces you to be a catholic.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030

Sometimes,they cut off their nose to spite their face, I mean, just look at dumping QUAD-CORES for the MINI, Stupid,Stupid, move! It's no longer about a quality products, just the almighty bottom line. I'd like to see heads roll over that LUNACY!

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple is extremely vigilant with cost control so they make fat profits.

IPS displays aren't cheap compared to a garden variety TN. Although I'm fortunate to have 20/20 vision, the display on my 13" MBA is bordering on poor.

Exacerbated by the fact I also have a 15" RMBP, I end up using the MBA far less than originally anticipated. Especially since my RMBP is so thin, light and extremely portable.

If not for Apple's poor resale I'd have blown out the MBA long ago.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Apple is extremely vigilant with cost control so they make fat profits.

IPS displays aren't cheap compared to a garden variety TN. Although I'm fortunate to have 20/20 vision, the display on my 13" MBA is bordering on poor.

Exacerbated by the fact I also have a 15" RMBP, I end up using the MBA far less than originally anticipated. Especially since my RMBP is so thin, light and extremely portable.

If not for Apple's poor resale I'd have blown out the MBA long ago.

Does it mean what is not retina is poor?
And did you have problems with the 20/20 vision and the poor displays before retina appeared?

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I wanted the 11" MBA so bad that I bought it despite the TN panel. Not regretting it one bit at the moment.

YMMV

Tough Guy

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
The short answer is they do not want to fix what isn't broken. They've been using the same design and same tn panels for 5 years now on the 11 and 13 inch Air models. It would be an unnecessary expense for them to change the panels to IPS when the Air already sells so well as is. Sure an IPS would look better but Apple is in business to maximize profits and keep costs down. They aren't going to change anything unless the market forces them to.

Even with the TN panel the Air is the best laptop on the market for average users. I am sure we will see an IPS panel when the Air is finally redesigned this year or next.

So you are saying Apple products are cheap crap?

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
I honestly don't care about the screen. I like the Air's screen. I was used to a 15.5" @ 1366x768 display. Then suddenly, 13.3" @ 1440x900. Big change. It still feels small at times, and i kind of wish I had dual monitors, but my usage is abnormal.

If that's what stops you from buying an Air, then by all means, waste your money and get a Pro.

I mean, unless you have specific needs, there should be no reason not to get an Air over a Pro. Pro has better specs, etc. but its not as good cost-wise, nor battery, nor weight.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I honestly don't care about the screen. I like the Air's screen. I was used to a 15.5" @ 1366x768 display. Then suddenly, 13.3" @ 1440x900. Big change. It still feels small at times, and i kind of wish I had dual monitors, but my usage is abnormal.

If that's what stops you from buying an Air, then by all means, waste your money and get a Pro.

I mean, unless you have specific needs, there should be no reason not to get an Air over a Pro. Pro has better specs, etc. but its not as good cost-wise, nor battery, nor weight.

I was set on getting a 13" Air this week as well until I played with both last week and saw the screen on the rMBP for the first time and was totally blown away. I took advantage of Best Buy's discount last night and went with the 13" rMBP, it was $120 more expensive than the Air config I would've ordered from Apple. I do not feel I wasted my money at all on the rMBP, to each his own. Based on my usage the rMBP will still make it through an entire work day. The slightly heavier weight doesn't matter to me. The display is breathtaking IMO and I love it. You enjoy your Air, I'll enjoy my Pro.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
I was set on getting a 13" Air this week as well until I played with both last week and saw the screen on the rMBP for the first time and was totally blown away. I took advantage of Best Buy's discount last night and went with the 13" rMBP, it was $120 more expensive than the Air config I would've ordered from Apple. I do not feel I wasted my money at all on the rMBP, to each his own. Based on my usage the rMBP will still make it through an entire work day. The slightly heavier weight doesn't matter to me. The display is breathtaking IMO and I love it. You enjoy your Air, I'll enjoy my Pro.

Well, when I said waste, I was referring to the fact that you're paying for 'horsepower' that you most likely won't ever need depending on your usage.

Unless, of course, you actually do need it. Or perhaps you need the hiRes display because you work with computer graphics or digital photography.

But, I honestly think getting a Pro just for retina is kind of wasteful. Apple will eventually sell retina Airs, most likely, anyways. But, if you have the extra cash, why not, i guess?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.