Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
For the first time ever, I won't be upgrade this year. I wasn't impressed by anything. Yes, I would love the 12MP camera, but that's it. Not enough to make me start shelling out payments again. I don't give an eff about 3D Touch. The deal breaker was having only 1GB of RAM STILL. I'll wait for the 7. iOs 9 should make my 6+ even better.
I don't think it's been confirmed that it only has 1GB of RAM.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
I think it's a solid upgrade. Force touch looks like a real gamechanger.
I'm not upgrading though.
The only disappointing aspects to me, are:
1. the pink option is really ugly...
2. they added an 'S' badge engraving on the back??? HOW TACKY IS THAT!!!! they're essentially decreasing the value of the 'iPhone' brand.... now 'iPhone [ S ]' is a better brand than the 'iPhone' brand... feels like an easy way to make people believe that the iphone 6S is a worthy upgrade to the 6 series.... really.... why not let the product speak for itself?

I guess it's just me but force touch doesn't excite me at all. Different folks for different strokes I guess.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Lol guys guys. The best in class cpu just DOUBLED in cpu and gpu at the SAME battery life. Shees that alone should flip you.

In addition cherry picking a single piece of the camera system like f/2.2 without comparing the pictures makes no sense.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
They didn't add a ton of features, BUT this is probably the biggest upgrade in the 'S' cycle history, especially if it has 2GB RAM. 3D Touch has the potential to vastly alter the user experience in a way that makes people, like myself, far more productive on a daily basis.

IMO, Apple took the "widgets" that Android users cry about, and never use, to a whole new level. At least, from a productivity stand-point.
I've been so impressed with the widgets on ios

As I was worried I would miss widgets coming from Samsung.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Lol guys guys. The best in class cpu just DOUBLED in cpu and gpu at the SAME battery life. Shees that alone should flip you.

In addition cherry picking a single piece of the camera system like f/2.2 without comparing the pictures makes no sense.
You're mostly right. I mentioned previously that I was just giving the iPhone a hard time for once. But I agree, the picture results will be very interesting to compare.

To be fair though, the A9 didn't double CPU or GPU, it increased each by 1.7x and 1.9x, respectively. That is more than I expected :D

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
The iPhone 6 was basically 5s internals. Same ram. Camera in regular 6. The plus is definitely better. Obviously.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
he he yeah... but its close! Very amazing the progress these mobile cpus are able to make.
Incredible indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geekbench scores for the iPhone 6s are somewhere around those of the entry-level Mac mini!

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'd say it having better front and back cameras, with the megapixels on both being upgraded is a change. Also, 3D Touch is a change, and 2gb of ram for the first time on an iPhone is a change

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The iPhone 6 was basically 5s internals. Same ram. Camera in regular 6. The plus is definitely better. Obviously.
Take note, this is a poster that doesn't understand how massively innovative Apple has been in CPU design.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Take note, this is a poster that doesn't understand how massively innovative Apple has been in CPU design.
Noted!

You're absolutely right, Apple has been incredibly innovative in CPU design. Even the jump from the A7 to the A8 might not seem that big, but I don't know of any other ARM chip that maintains its frequency without having to throttle. That was a big selling point for the A8 and hopefully for the A9.

Benched08

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
3D Touch is potentially the most transformative hardware feature ever added to the iPhone line. It introduces an entirely new dynamic and convenience that could very likely change how we use apps/games. The A9 made more gains than the A8 did, the camera got its first significant bump in a while, durability is now seemingly excellent, Touch ID is faster, Siri is always listening, etc. To me this is the most impressive upgrade they could've done in a years time.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Noted!

You're absolutely right, Apple has been incredibly innovative in CPU design. Even the jump from the A7 to the A8 might not seem that big, but I don't know of any other ARM chip that maintains its frequency without having to throttle. That was a big selling point for the A8 and hopefully for the A9.

It was massive.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/chipworks-digs-up-more-information-on-apples-new-a8-chip/

Honestly, if Apple changed the design every year (which I am not for at all) people would be ******** themselves during every S update. These really are almost completely re-engineered devices internally every year.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
3D Touch is potentially the most transformative hardware feature ever added to the iPhone line. It introduces an entirely new dynamic and convenience that could very likely change how we use apps/games. The A9 made more gains than the A8 did, the camera got its first significant bump in a while, durability is now seemingly excellent, Touch ID is faster, Siri is always listening, etc. To me this is the most impressive upgrade they could've done in a years time.
I laughed hysterically when I saw the 3D Touch demo at the edges of the screen. They beat samsungs justification for the "edge" with out having to resort to a gimmick that in reality is nothing but an ergonomic nightmare.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I laughed hysterically when I saw the 3D Touch demo at the edges of the screen. They beat samsungs justification for the "edge" with out having to resort to a gimmick that in reality is nothing but an ergonomic nightmare.
I know! The iPhone 6 already had a slight edge before Samsung released their devices. The feature where you can slide the edge to reveal favorite contacts is dumb because it's not like you really need the edge to do that.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That's why I used the word "seem" :p

I can't wait to see what the A9 is capable of :)

Me either, I'm personally on the "S" cycle (I like it better that way). I can't wait for my phone for the next 2 years, I'll be purchasing probably around the end of the Christmas season.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I know! The iPhone 6 already had a slight edge before Samsung released their devices. The feature where you can slide the edge to reveal favorite contacts is dumb because it's not like you really need the edge to do that.
The first time I held a 6 is was clear as day to me that the curvature on the edges is for ergonomics, but also developed in conjunction with the "swipe to go back" features built into Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.