The Palm Pre's UI is peerless in its class.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palm Pimp, May 26, 2009.

1. Palm Pimp macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

2. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Definitely looking forward to having a play with one of these :). My treo 680 is getting long in the tooth and served me well. I've got a touch for the App store. It's down to either palm keeping my custom or someone to implement android into a decent form-factor.

5. The General macrumors 601

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

Honestly, I would get a Palm Pre if it were on AT&T! The UI is pure sexiness.

Unfortunately, I'm sticking w/ the new iPhone though. I can't afford to switch carriers. :(

But I really want a Palm Pre!

The gesture thing is awesome!!!! NICEE!

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i watched some of those video's and i just cannot believe how similar it is to the iPhone OS.

I thought Apple had patented a lot of the stuff?

ANyway, the Palm OS seems a bit cartoony.. although some of the features are cool and I wish the iPhone would support them - ie, the corkboard for the Notes app

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You should hold off with me. I'm waiting until the Pre is either unlocked or on AT&T (a GSM version is in the works)

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

It is quite similar to the iPhone.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

What I'll probably end up doing is getting the new iPhone this summer, and if I'm not too pleased with it, I'll sell it on eBay and hopefully by Oct-Nov, people will be able to purchase an unlocked Pre to use on a GSM network, and I'll get it then.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Smart thinking!

12. aridon macrumors member

The Iphone has served me well for almost 2 years, longest I have had a device (same form factor) ever. Great product, but I will be trading mine it for a Pre.

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Maybe they might in the future - though the view doesn't really let you preview that many characters from each note. Maybe along the lines of the iPhoto corkboard view?

14. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I think the UI of the Pre is just plain awesome, but the phone itself is the ugliest thing I laid eyes on.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Alright, Pre is sold on me. I'll get one to check it out.

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

The Facebook integration with the contacts is interesting. You can tell that Palm took a few notes from Apple, but just the same I hope that Apple takes a few notes from Palm. That UI does look pretty impressive. I would be interesting to see how the multi-tasking affects the battery though.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Looking forward to seeing the reviews from actual use.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

is it just me, or does the UI look like its been stolen from the iPhone?? :rolleyes:

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not really. There's a few similar elements that obviously have the iPhone as inspiration, but I don't think it looks particularly "Apple" at all.

20. retroneo macrumors 6502a

It truly is a revolutionary OS design that runs a local web server and exposes the APIs through that.

Has anyone said anything about the battery life of the Pre yet?

While it's a revolutionary OS design, I am worried this approach is going to kill battery life. I think it could be a little too ahead of its time.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no it doesnt seem to have the "apple" feel at all, however take a look at the 4th picture down on the left (Java stuff) - that looks very Apple inspired to me.

the UI does look rather cluttered and quite unattractive to me personally, i guess it would be hard to fill everything in such a small screen - especially when you are using fingers (a very inconsistent variable).

22. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I loathe the massive 30px beveled corners on the Pre. Also I'm not too fond of a lot of the icons, table views or the WindowsMobile-esque contextual menus that apparently pop down and out of everyplace.

Also I've noticed the visual cues when going from screen to screen is not very clear as vies tend to zoom in from the top/bottom very quickly. iPhones push/pop slide in animation is a lot more clear IMO.

We'll see how well this does soon enough though.

23. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

You are kidding? Dude, changing the colours does not change the OS.

I think the pre will spend more time in court than in anyone's pocket.