The Perfect Desk for the 27"?

theapplefreak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
I was looking into the Galant desk from ikea, but I'm not sure if it's the best desk for me. What I would have on my desk is obviously the 27" iMac, my 13" Macbook with the Griffin Elevator Stand, lamps, hard drives, books, etc.

It would be awesome if the desk would look very elegant or something that looks nice.

Thanks!

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
lifehacker has gazillions of "featured workstations" pages. I'm sure you'll find lots of candidates there.

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
okay, today was my first day with my baby, i mean 27 iMac, and i have the Jonas Desk from ikea it is perfect. plenty of space on the side and in front.

ill post some pictures tomorrow as soon as i clean the desk off. i think it looks sexy :apple:

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I have that Mikeal desk as well. Really like it - bought a glass top for it as aswell (exra fiver at ikea). I then got the cable shelf thing Ikea has and attached that behind the divider, so everything is out of the way

grapejoos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
Anyone have any other suggestions? Would love to hear some more.
Space is a concern in my small apartment, and nothing is more efficient for my needs than the "elfa decor" desk I got at the Container Store. It hangs from the wall and sticks out less than 2 feet, and easily holds my 27" iMac on a monitor shelf suspended above the desktop and a million other things. It's totally customizable and expandable, and surprisingly easy to install and move. However, it's not cheap; can't compete with IKEA pricepoints.

Here's are rough examples of something similar, though neither are quite like my setup:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/bestSellingSolutions/officeSpaces?productId=10024656
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/bestSellingSolutions/officeSpaces?productId=10016831

They have annual sales of 30% off all elfa stuff - it's definitely worth waiting for one of those if you're interested in going down that route.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
I don't remember what these were called at IKEA (Granas?) but they would sell for $129.99

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I would not want to put my brand new 27" iMac on a wobbly IKEA desk.
Treat yourself to something nice instead! :)
Can't give you any specific recommendations because you don't say where you are!

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I've buy this one:

made with real aluminum and black glass...

Kristalia: Sushi
I love the look of this desk. But the problem is there is nowhere to route and hide the wires.

I guess you could cut a hole in the glass and drop the wires through, and then run them along one of the aluminum legs. But I still don't think it would look right.

DNSDj

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
Calgary / Alberta / Canada
very similar to what i have right now
but its from Ikea.

I know you guys dont have this store in the states, (as its only in australia i believe)

but i got myself this one for my imac for when it arrives has a nice glass top too. and looks very simple modern but effective!

http://www.officeworks.com.au/ims_docs/49/4989EFA4A5ED03A8E1008000AC193D36.JPG

Also just under the glass top, there is a long draw left to right! didnt even know till i put it together haha