The Perfect Desk for the 27"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theapplefreak, Dec 7, 2009.

1. theapplefreak macrumors regular

I was looking into the Galant desk from ikea, but I'm not sure if it's the best desk for me. What I would have on my desk is obviously the 27" iMac, my 13" Macbook with the Griffin Elevator Stand, lamps, hard drives, books, etc.

It would be awesome if the desk would look very elegant or something that looks nice.

Thanks!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would go with the MIKAEL.Its cheap, sturdy and looks very good in the flesh.

3. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

lifehacker has gazillions of "featured workstations" pages. I'm sure you'll find lots of candidates there.

4. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

okay, today was my first day with my baby, i mean 27 iMac, and i have the Jonas Desk from ikea it is perfect. plenty of space on the side and in front.

ill post some pictures tomorrow as soon as i clean the desk off. i think it looks sexy :apple:

5. djcorrosive macrumors regular

I know you guys dont have this store in the states, (as its only in australia i believe)

but i got myself this one for my imac for when it arrives has a nice glass top too. and looks very simple modern but effective!

http://www.officeworks.com.au/ims_docs/49/4989EFA4A5ED03A8E1008000AC193D36.JPG

Also just under the glass top, there is a long draw left to right! didnt even know till i put it together haha

6. famarm macrumors member

Kristalia Sushi

I've buy this one:

[​IMG]

made with real aluminum and black glass...

Kristalia: Sushi

7. moomog macrumors member

I like the Jonas desk with the pull out section http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90103678

8. juliancs macrumors 6502

I have that Mikeal desk as well. Really like it - bought a glass top for it as aswell (exra fiver at ikea). I then got the cable shelf thing Ikea has and attached that behind the divider, so everything is out of the way

9. cryer macrumors regular

Anyone have any other suggestions? Would love to hear some more.

10. grapejoos macrumors member

Space is a concern in my small apartment, and nothing is more efficient for my needs than the "elfa decor" desk I got at the Container Store. It hangs from the wall and sticks out less than 2 feet, and easily holds my 27" iMac on a monitor shelf suspended above the desktop and a million other things. It's totally customizable and expandable, and surprisingly easy to install and move. However, it's not cheap; can't compete with IKEA pricepoints.

Here's are rough examples of something similar, though neither are quite like my setup:
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/bestSellingSolutions/officeSpaces?productId=10024656
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/elfa/bestSellingSolutions/officeSpaces?productId=10016831

They have annual sales of 30% off all elfa stuff - it's definitely worth waiting for one of those if you're interested in going down that route.

11. C8XY macrumors 6502

Mine is similar to that, black glass top looks great with the aluminium base and black surround of the iMac

12. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    here is something for a small room environment:

Attached Files:

13. leopus1190s macrumors newbie

14. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I don't remember what these were called at IKEA (Granas?) but they would sell for $129.99
    [​IMG]

15. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

16. iCaleb macrumors 6502

17. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I would not want to put my brand new 27" iMac on a wobbly IKEA desk.
    Treat yourself to something nice instead! :)
    Can't give you any specific recommendations because you don't say where you are!

18. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I love the look of this desk. But the problem is there is nowhere to route and hide the wires.

I guess you could cut a hole in the glass and drop the wires through, and then run them along one of the aluminum legs. But I still don't think it would look right.

19. RiceKilla macrumors member

Here's my setup. Ikea Micke. Awesome wire management and it's pretty sturdy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. iCaleb macrumors 6502

If a desk feels unstable try put a wood shim underneath the leg.
    [​IMG]

21. DNSDj macrumors newbie

very similar to what i have right now
    but its from Ikea.

22. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

This...

Attached Files: