The price conversions are outrageous

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mr.bee, Oct 25, 2013.

1. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

It's nothing new, I know. But still 1 euro is 1,3 dollar today.

The cost for buying a new high end rmbp in America, is lower than the cost for buying a low end rmbp in Europe!!!

It's actually disgusting.

Thank god I'm flying to NYC next week so I can buy one:mad:

----------

My airplane ticket is cheaper than the difference with their conversion

2. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Well it is not news, but you have the EU to thank, eventually it will be like this for everyone on earth. Thanks to bankers. Look at what Iceland did to triumph over this very problem.

3. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

This shouldn't really be a surprise. This is the case with most electronics (especially games.) It could be worse, you could live in Brazil...

4. Chris5488, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

Chris5488 macrumors regular

In 2011 when the rMBP was released at 2199 euro's which was 2680 dollars back then, now it's 1999 euro's which is 2760 dollars at the current rate! This means Apple is even fetching 100 dollars more today than they did at the release, instead of asking 200 dollars less! :mad:

Apple should be honest and respect the rate, instead of referring to it only when it means higher prices. The 15" rMBP should've been 1799 euro's which is 2480 dollars, 200 dollars cheaper like it's 200 dollars cheaper in the US. And then there would still be the 25% gap between the prices in the US and in Europe.

5. stayley, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013

stayley macrumors member

The price in Poland is 8800zl, 2082 Euros or $2875. Disgusting indeed. Controlling for the VAT (23% in PL) it should be 7523zl, 1780 Euro or $2458.

Here in the UK it's $2746... controlling for VAT (20%), should be 2398 given current spot exchange rates.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

There's more to the price than a simple currency conversion. There's expense of operating in the EU, VAT taxes, etc.

If you fly to the U.S., buy a new Mac, and return then you'll likely have to pay import duties/VAT.

7. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Conversions have nothing to do with that.
    enjoy your welfare state

8. stayley macrumors member

We've been all over this in this thread with my colleague Chris here, but our posts got deleted on the account of being off topic :p

This of course is the primary reason.

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

You are right, it's the bankers adding all the taxes.

Please don't forget that the US prices you see do not include sales tax. Obviously no where in the same league at VAT, etc...

10. whitedragon101 macrumors 65816

If you have a laptop in your hand luggage without packaging they won't question it.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hopefully.

12. 827538 macrumors 65816

I'm fed up with taxation in the UK and Europe, it's £2575 for a top end rMBP after my student discount. How is this fair? So the state can make of with a fortune to sell off public assets, neglect infrastructure and cannabalise every service we have? At least in the states you pay less for less services, we pay a disgusting amount for less services, all to support a corrupt paliament and millions on our welfare state, no wonder every one spends a fortune on accounts here to massage their numbers every year.
    This is coming from a student, the thought of what I'll be 'expected' to contribute once I graduate and start working has me grabbing my passport and running for the airport.

13. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I've flown with two new MBP's in their boxes from the US to Panama and had no issues. EU might be different.

I purchased the high end 15" MBP (2.3/750) here in Sweden and it came out to ~$3,000 US :eek:

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

We have high taxes here in Europe. Nothing new. In the UK it's 20%, other nations have it much, much worse.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It sounds like its the taxes that are causing the pricing difference - sorry to hear how much more expensive it is in Europe though :(

16. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

It's 3300 in Russia. Ridiculous.

17. DeGarmo macrumors newbie

DeGarmo

The price conversions are outrageous

Same **** and even worse in Greece

Yesterday was anounced the prices for the new iphones
    Iphone 5s 16GB its 738€ or 1028$ without contract

We are still waiting for the new macbook pros
    but the early 2013 base 15' inch retina is at 2370€ or 3271$

the maxed out retina is at 3000€ or 4140$ !!!

Considering that the basic monthly salary is at 550€
    and that if you are lucky to still have a job makes buying a mac just a dream for the majority of people

18. qawsed macrumors regular

Huh?

Iceland? Where a cup of coffee can cost $7? Right.

Prices vary between markets, nothing new there. Try buying medications in the US and you'll see expensive.

19. mr.bee thread starter macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

It's not the taxes. It's 100% Apple rip off.

WITHOUT taxes I need to pay 2172 EUR= 2998 USD in Belgium.
    in the US it's 2599 USD, so there's a 400 USD increase.

If I make a somewhat correct conversion of 1:1,3, which is still 0,08 less today, I need to pay (2599/1,3)=1999 EUR + taxes

so there's a flat out 400 USD increase. I don't know about your operations knowledge but I can ship a computer for less that price in bulk.

20. stayley macrumors member

I believe it's both, then EU tariffs on these products might be different, the whole disposable income issue (that's where your Apple rip off comes in, or discriminatory pricing that they implement, what is perfectly reasonable and economically justified by the way) that I won't talk about here, etc. There's a lot of factors that come to play here.

Doesn't change the fact that it's disgusting. Especially considering that much of the Apple line-up is no longer as premium as it used to be (the MBA has strong competition nowadays for example).

21. priitv8 macrumors 68030

You obviously ignored what was posted earlier. You can not have this laptop for $2599 in US either. You need to pay local taxes in US as well. Because they differ by state, taxes are not included in online price quotes.
    PS if you weigh in much better social care in EU compared to US, you probably will be able to anticipate EU's taxes still.

22. mr.bee thread starter macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

You obviously didn't read correctly. I compared both prices without taxes. It says "WITHOUT taxes"

23. priitv8, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68030

My bad!
    In general, we do have same price figure in EU, that in US, except in € instead of $. Which makes for 1,3777 times difference, according to ECB rates.
    However, when I bought an iPod from Apple US store and imported it legally, I had to pay both EU inland duty (NB rate was quoted specifically for electronic equipment!) and the VAT on the border. The total amount I had to pay was the same as if I had bought the iPod directly in EU. So I really doubt this is some clever exchange rate gamble played by Apple.

24. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

First of all, Apple pay all sorts of EU taxes just to sell their products in Europe. It's called giving-european-products-an-advantage-because-having-more-export-is-good-business. So please stop with the thinking that your paying for 400 USD fedex shipping.

the quality of life is so different in Belgium compared to the US. Belgium is a pretty safe country with a lot of support for people who fall through the system, get sick, lose their, house, job whatever.

In America, if you fall through the cracks it usually means you will be homeless for the rest of your life. European nations often tax a lot to support its people more. it sucks that so much stuff for us is expensive, but you also have to look at the bright side.

If you literally don't care about that stuff, then move to America. It's the capitalistic wet dream. Either way I think it's pathetic you use the word "disgusting". How about getting a nuanced perspective?

25. ioannis2005gr, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

you are completely out of topic....sorry!

my comment: the quality of life is same everywhere...no matter what your political view is, you may jump easily from the "bright side" (easy-going style, good salary, nice house, happy family) to the "sewer" in a blink of an eye...don't blame America....blame yourself because you support with your vote those who can financially strangle you whenever decided....;)