The Pro 9.7 Smart Keyboard is the keyboard I've been waiting for

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Booji, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I've had a number of iPad over the years, and have tried keyboards on some of them. First was a Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover for my iPad 2. When I moved to the iPad Air first generation, I tried the Belkin Quode.

The hassle of pairing, the delay and the fact that the keyboard weighed was much as the iPad itself just took away the portability that in my mind is a key point of having a tablet anyway. Plus the fact that I had to remove the keyboard every time I wanted to use it as a tablet because the case on it was just too bulky.

The Smart Keyboard really solves all of this. It's so light I use it as a cover and extra weight is hardly noticed, and it's so easy to remove if you want.

Plus, the integration of the shortcut commands really ads a lot to the experience. I'm feeling that I no longer really need a pointing device as now I can do so many things without even taking my hands off the keyboard.

Lastly, the fabric of the keys feels so comfortable and the feedback is quiet yet very satisfying. I'm finding that I can type at nearly the same potential as a full size keyboard despite the small size.

Again, Apple takes something that has been out there for years and finally makes it useable.

2. ssledoux macrumors 6502

ssledoux

Well I can't speak to the smaller one because I have the one for the 12.9 iPP, but it is truly amazing! I'm so glad I splurged for this!!

3. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Just ordered a Best Buy open box 12.9 smart keyboard. Excited!

4. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Totally agree. I also had the Logitech Ultrathin for my iPad 2, but it was so much hassle that I didn't buy a keyboard for my Air 2. Having the Apple Keyboard for the iPad pro is making this so much more useful.

Essentially, Apple copied Microsoft: added keyboard and pen to a tablet. Happy they did!

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Same for me - I have the Smart Keyboard on my 12.9 and it really is a brilliant keyboard. I was a bit reluctant to get it because of the cost (and the fact it's US layout only) but am really pleased I did: I agree that it's definitely the best iPad keyboard I've ever used

6. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

This makes me more excited to try it out

Is it an ok standalone stand and front cover ?

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's the only cover I use on my iPad - works great as a stand and cover for me: It takes a couple of days to get used to as it folds differently to the smart covers. However, it won't work as a stand in the "laying down" position

8. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

It's not a splurge it's a business expense. I claimed my 9.7 iPad Pro on my 2015 taxes as a business expense since it come with Microsoft Office for free.

9. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I agree. Without the keyboard I probably would have kept the MacBook Air I traded for the iPad.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I have not tried the Smart Keyboard yet, but I have to say I agree with you. I swore off iPad keyboards after my first zaggfolio. It was bulky and heavy and troublesome to detach and pair, so I eventually gave up trying to make it work.

The Smart Keyboard looks like it has none of these bugbears. You don't even have to worry about keeping it charged (technically). Only issue is the price and the longevity. Unless the next iPad Pro has the exact same form factor and dimensions, I am not prepared to spend so much on an accessory only for it to be potentially made redundant down the line.

11. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

I had used the Logitech ultrathin keyboard cover on my iPad Air 2. Was one of the best keyboards at the time that I had used on the iPad. With getting the pro, I decided against the ASK as I was used to having the function keys and Apple left the row of function keys off of their Smart Keyboard. Instead I got the Smart Cover that allows me to fold an stand iPP up and with that I use a keys to go keyboard. It is small compact and very light and I find it as good as and in my case better than the ASK due to the function keys.

12. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

This is my setup as well. Love it. I had the KTG for my Air 2 and didn't see the need to go to the Apple keyboard. Looking forward to Logitech's offering for the 9.7, though.

13. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It would be even better if they extended it to the full width of the iPad, included another row of function keys, and added a trackpad!

But I agree - every aftermarket keyboard has always had serious issues - most seriously with durability - which is insane considering the price many of them go for!

14. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Clearly depends on how you use it. It doesn't seem that setup works on the lap, which to me is an important usage scenario. Apple's command sequences to a certain extend replaces the function keys.

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I agree with you as most of my usage is definitely on my lap.

16. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The ASK changes the dianamic of the ipp. As I've said before, It is grossly overpriced, yet worth every penny.

17. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

Yea, its one of those things you buy and you knows its pure profit, but its so damn good you don't care! Thats how Apple gets us.

18. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

This and Pencil make it worthwhile

19. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Thanks for sharing. Will have to give it a go in real life!

20. Peepo macrumors 6502a

I am amazed how good the Apple Keyboard works. Seeing it in pictures, I expected it to be like those bubble-style keys or something that worked as bad like the old Atari 400!!! Trying it out in the Apple Store changed my mind instantly. I think it is even nicer to type on than the MacBook keyboard. Needless to say, I bought one and love it!

21. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Please send a link. When I go to Amazon, there are several. Thanks

22. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

I took mine on a one week international business trip. What was cool about the Smart Keyoard was that I ended up leaving it on all the time as a cover even though I did not need the keyboard. It's that thin and light. No need to plan if I will need the keyboard as its with me all the time.

23. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

24. ericwn macrumors 6502a

Personally, anything is nicer than the Macbook keyboard. Even typing on glass is more pleasant to me. The Macbook keyboard is one huge disappointment for me. The smart keyboard is a tiny bit better, but for me nothing to write home about.

25. ericwn macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. I am thinking of getting one of these myself when the 12.9 purchase day comes. I have a logitech solar keyboard at home that is paired to three devices and works great when I need a longer typing session. This seems ideal for on the go, works with multiple devices and doesn't cost a fortune while probably still being a better typing experience than the Apple keyboard.