Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Wtf??
Lol, are we supposed to all have memorized the cutesy acronyms that you made up?
Pretty sure nobody but you knows what ASK means (to you).
Apple Standard Keyboard?
Abalone Shiny Kingdom?
Abhorrent Stupid Klan?
Alfalfa Shelf Klingon?
I could literally do this all day...

Reactions: phobic99

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
I am really enjoying the apple Smart Keyboard , the typing experience is really good . I find my self typing almost as fast as on my Mac. It's light and sturdy and adds very little weight to the iPad Pro . The keyboard shortcuts work great . Using it has really increased my productivity on the iPad Pro 9.7. Haven't opened my MacBook Air in a month . Drawbacks : way overpriced and can't type while lying down . Overall a
Very good buy . It does take a few days to get used to it but once you get the feel it's quite awesome to type on

Reactions: alecgold

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I also love the AKC. I've not learned any shortcuts yet (maybe someone can post some tips?). What I want to ask you guys is do you use a cover on the back of your iPad's? I have the Apple case but tend to take it off quite a bit as I like using the iPad "naked". As you know, it's really easy just to pull off the AKC.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Wtf??
Lol, are we supposed to all have memorized the cutesy acronyms that you made up?
Pretty sure nobody but you knows what ASK means (to you).
Apple Standard Keyboard?
Abalone Shiny Kingdom?
Abhorrent Stupid Klan?
Alfalfa Shelf Klingon?
I could literally do this all day...

Since ASK is used all over in this sub forum, perhaps just ask what it means. Doubt the OP just made it up.

Apple Smart Keyboard

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Since ASK is used all over in this sub forum, perhaps just ask what it means. Doubt the OP just made it up.

Apple Smart Keyboard

No thanks.
Idgaf.
But... that is the CLEAR answer to why the first reply was asking for links & recognition of that fact would have prevented confusion of the OP & the "links to what?" response.
Does that make sense?
This is now a long and convoluted post with like eight replies and literally has ZERO content. NONE. No information has been shared whatsoever.
I'm sure you noticed that.
I'm sure you realize that is not optimal.
It is not interesting to me to query dumb pet names for things - it's actually irksome & confusing.
Rather, I popped in to give some (semi)friendly advice of: DON'T DO THAT.... then you won't spend your entire thread clarifying what you're talking about.

I'd be pleased to provide a recent & relevant example:
On these forums, after getting my Apple Watch on release day, I'd often come here to post about the experience. At the time there were some people that felt AW was "used in this sub forum" to mean- Android Wear & did not feel like writing it out at 1st, then subsequently abbreviating was necessary or any explanation at all... there was an almost exactly equal contingent that felt that AW was "used in this sub forum" to mean- Apple Watch & similarly would NOT differentiate... as many convos were about both topics, it slipped into miscommunication insanity, lol.
It is NOT my favorite to make up silly acronyms for things that do not need it; particularly in a public forum.
I'd even go so far as to say it cries a bit of snobbery, in assuming all others are "leet" enough to follow your unused by the masses terms... it, at the very least, is poor decorum.

/all above, in my humble opinion

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
So this thread went way out to left field.

To the OP I agree. The ASK had become my favorite thing to type on. Only complaint, which had nothing to do with the ASK, is that I wish more apps were fully compatible with dual screen so that I could take notes from one document onto another. I have found myself often using the iMac to read a PDF and the iPad to type notes on while sitting in front of my iPad. I have always been a proficient typer but I feel I'm even faster on the ASK

Reactions: alecgold

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I love the apple Smart Keyboard. Just wondering what you all use on the back? If anything?

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I love the apple Smart Keyboard. Just wondering what you all use on the back? If anything?

Was forced to use it naked when I bought it in November, had an apple silicone case since then, but am now (2 days) on a thin polycarbonate case, the JM TENC, which is really good.
- Naked is really nice, but I'm way to worried about scratching.
- Silicon is a good case, extremely expensive IMHO, but you'll have a really good grip. It might give some protection against drops, but with a big iPad (Pro 12.9") I think the best thing to do is not drop it :D
- The Polycarbonate case is still grippy enough, but easier to shove in a leather folio I have and like to use. But it's been only 2 days, so I'm going to see how it behaves.

I've always got my ASK with me, I don't even use it that much, but it's really good to have when you want to type an email or some minutes. And I always have an Apple Pencil that I "adorned" with the clip from the venerable Pentel p205 mechanical pencil. I hate the clip when it rubs my hand while writing, I love the clip when I use it to clip my Pencil to the ASK. I also have a tempered glass screen protector from Zagg, so the clip rubbing my screen (if it would happen, usually it's just a mm hovering above) wouldn't scratch my screen.
Also had a bodyguardz screen protector, but I bumped that one and it had a crack over the screen (happy it wasn't the iPad bezel/iPad screen, but also very surprised how easily that happened as it wasn't a Big Bang, just a light tap against some planting protruding thing).
Getting back at the pencil: after well over 10 years typing my notes, minutes etc. on a laptop I started to write them again! Really love it, they are instantly digital (no more bad scans) you could OCR them but the most useful feature is annotating PDF's. Really love that.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Was forced to use it naked when I bought it in November, had an apple silicone case since then, but am now (2 days) on a thin polycarbonate case, the JM TENC, which is really good.
- Naked is really nice, but I'm way to worried about scratching.
- Silicon is a good case, extremely expensive IMHO, but you'll have a really good grip. It might give some protection against drops, but with a big iPad (Pro 12.9") I think the best thing to do is not drop it :D
- The Polycarbonate case is still grippy enough, but easier to shove in a leather folio I have and like to use. But it's been only 2 days, so I'm going to see how it behaves.

I've always got my ASK with me, I don't even use it that much, but it's really good to have when you want to type an email or some minutes. And I always have an Apple Pencil that I "adorned" with the clip from the venerable Pentel p205 mechanical pencil. I hate the clip when it rubs my hand while writing, I love the clip when I use it to clip my Pencil to the ASK. I also have a tempered glass screen protector from Zagg, so the clip rubbing my screen (if it would happen, usually it's just a mm hovering above) wouldn't scratch my screen.
Also had a bodyguardz screen protector, but I bumped that one and it had a crack over the screen (happy it wasn't the iPad bezel/iPad screen, but also very surprised how easily that happened as it wasn't a Big Bang, just a light tap against some planting protruding thing).
Getting back at the pencil: after well over 10 years typing my notes, minutes etc. on a laptop I started to write them again! Really love it, they are instantly digital (no more bad scans) you could OCR them but the most useful feature is annotating PDF's. Really love that.
I keep moving from using my 9.7 Pro careless to full on Apple keyboard on front and case on the back. I'm very careful with my stuff and have never dropped an iPad (had them all including the 12.9 Pro) and only dropped a iPhone once which (on that occasion) had a case on. I'm the same with my iPhone, case on, case off. I like to use my devices naked but then something inside of me reminds me that these are expensive products so why not take best possible care of them?

I too love the Apple pencil and am taking more notes now than I ever have. I was always looking for the best stylus for me iPad's and now Apple have released the pencil there's no need to look anywhere else.

As for the leather folio you mentioned, can you provide a link as I've been looking for one? Thanks.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I have yet to purchase an ASK for my 12.9 iPP. Since the on-screen keyboard is full-size, I don't know if I can spend over £100 for an ASK!
[doublepost=1465070839][/doublepost]
No thanks.
Idgaf.
But... that is the CLEAR answer to why the first reply was asking for links & recognition of that fact would have prevented confusion of the OP & the "links to what?" response.
Does that make sense?
This is now a long and convoluted post with like eight replies and literally has ZERO content. NONE. No information has been shared whatsoever.
It is not interesting to me to query dumb pet names for things - it's actually irksome & confusing.
Rather, I popped in to give some (semi)friendly advice of: DON'T DO THAT.... then you won't spend your entire thread clarifying what you're talking about.

On these forums, after getting my Apple Watch on release day, I'd often come here to post about the experience. At the time there were some people that felt AW was "used in this sub forum" to mean- Android Wear & did not feel like writing it out at 1st, then subsequently abbreviating was necessary or any explanation at all... there was an almost exactly equal contingent that felt that AW was "used in this sub forum" to mean- Apple Watch & similarly would NOT differentiate... as many convos were about both topics, it slipped into miscommunication insanity, lol.
It is NOT my favorite to make up silly acronyms for things that do not need it; particularly in a public forum.
I'd even go so far as to say it cries a bit of snobbery, in assuming all others are "leet" enough to follow your unused by the masses terms... it, at the very least, is poor decorum.

Stop spamming off-topic posts. This thread is about the ASK, not about your opinion on acronyms.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I have yet to purchase an ASK for my 12.9 iPP. Since the on-screen keyboard is full-size, I don't know if I can spend over £100 for an ASK!
[doublepost=1465070839][/doublepost]
Stop spamming off-topic posts. This thread is about the ASK, not about your opinion on acronyms.

My response was to the comment of: "links?" & the op's subsequent conclusion.
I absolutely LOVE acronyms btw(<--- see what I did there?!), & am glad when they are used en masse.
I would posit that you can't just randomly make them up yourself though,... they actually have to be "a thing" already.
Also; you don't know what "spamming" means.
(Or as you would say: ydkwsm)
& to be fair.... this thread was literally about NOTHING when I posted that- it was only off-topic annoying confusion. Please feel free to go back and reread all previous posts to mine if you don't believe me.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
No thanks.
Idgaf.
Does that make sense?

I honestly had no idea what you were asking a link for either. And ASK is a pretty standard acronym on this forum.

Reactions: Indydenny

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I also love the AKC. I've not learned any shortcuts yet (maybe someone can post some tips?). What I want to ask you guys is do you use a cover on the back of your iPad's? I have the Apple case but tend to take it off quite a bit as I like using the iPad "naked". As you know, it's really easy just to pull off the AKC.

No back case for me. I have a matte skin on the back - keeps it as lightweight as possible. When the iPad travels out of the house it goes in a zippered pouch along with the Pencil and my earbuds.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I totally agree that the on-screen keyboard on the 12.9 is great, and sufficient for my needs. I also really like the Magic Keyboard. I think it might be about the same weight as the 12.9 ASK, and it has all the function keys. If I needed a physical keyboard, that'd be my choice.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire

No case - I use a matte skin keeping it as lightweight as possible. Gives scratch protection and great grip on the back. When my iPad travels out of the house it goes in a zippered pouch along with the Pencil and earbuds.

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
It's the only cover I use on my iPad - works great as a stand and cover for me: It takes a couple of days to get used to as it folds differently to the smart covers. However, it won't work as a stand in the "laying down" position

I have both the 12.9" and 9.7" pro's, and interestingly the 9.7" Smart Keyboard actually works in the laying down position. I think it might be the smaller width of the iPad itself? Or it could be a slightly altered keyboard design. My main complaint with the smaller one is if you set it up with the keyboard behind the iPad (in the upright position) it is just a few degrees off vertical so if you bump it then it will fall smack down on the screen.

My plan is to keep just the 9.7", but it depends on what is announced at WWDC...if Apple announces a huge software upgrade for the Pro's then I might stick around with the larger one...

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I honestly had no idea what you were asking a link for either. And ASK is a pretty standard acronym on this forum.

Lol, it is funny how everyone that CLAIMS to not be confused posts a bunch of random stuff showing how confused they are.
Soooooooo.... I didn't ask for a link, lol.
I merely RESPONDED to the OP & let them know why they were getting questions like that.

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Lol, it is funny how everyone that CLAIMS to not be confused posts a bunch of random stuff showing how confused they are.
Soooooooo.... I didn't ask for a link, lol.
I merely RESPONDED to the OP & let them know why they were getting questions like that.
My biggest problem with this thread is that the OP (see what I did!) already started this exact same thread a few days ago. WTF!

Reactions: Tycho24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.