The problem with iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Southernboyj, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I know for months and months there have been so many rumors of the foretold 'iPad Mini'. It seems like it is a definite thing.. there is a problem with it though.

I was almost 100% positive it was coming in October.. that is until the iPhone 5 event. See I believe Apple no longer has a "Go-to-market strategy" to sell the iPad Mini. Here's why:

The iPad Mini rumors really started coming to fruition when the Nexus 7 was so successful. With Apple having the iPad 3 (I know that's not the official name) and iPad 2 priced respectively at $499 and $399 they have the high-end tablet market well covered. So the iPad Mini would be competing with the low-end tablet market (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, Nook, etc.)

The problem now is not demand, but pricing. What could Apple price this device at? Most people were suggesting as low as $199 (yeah right) upward to $299.

For the device to really sell, it needs to be a maximum of $299 for the base model. Which sounded realistic, but now the BASE 4" iPod Touch is $299.

You honestly think Apple is going to sell a 7.85" iOS device at the exact same price as a 4" device? No. So if this iPad Mini came out, it would be more than $299. I doubt just $50 more either. I'd say a minimum of $100. Making it $399.

Now why buy a $399 7.85" iPad when you can get the iPad 2 (9.7") for the same price, and the flagship iPad 3 for $100 over that.

There is no pricing room for the iPad Mini to succeed with the iPod Touch being priced at $299.

Your opinions?

2. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Probably if they drop the iPad 2 at the same time?

3. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

But still, if they drop the iPad 2 and make the iPad Mini $399.. is it really competing against the Nexus 7/Kindle Fire/Nook? It would literally be double the price.

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

What about when the ipad 4 comes out

The ipad 3 will be $400 same as the ipad mini you think will be $399

I think the ipad mini will be $299

Yea the new ipod touch is $299 also but Some kids might want an ipod over the mini , ipod including my nephew

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I don't think the iPad Mini will be $399. I don't think it will be released anymore. You are crazy if you think Apple will sell an iPad Mini and an iPod Touch at the same price. The iPad Mini is basically a larger iPod Touch (albeit with more purpose) and will carry a higher production cost.

6. spikeyjac macrumors regular

See, I'm not sure where the prices will come in.
    But, I do think that they are aimed at completely different markets.
    I know that the iPod touch is now more of a multimedia device than ever before, BUT, it's main job is still to listen to music.
    I really want a mini, and so I'm probably biased, but personally, I think they are aimed at completely different markets!
    Just my opinions anyway :)

7. sineplex macrumors 6502

They'll just drop the iPad 2. It's common sense. :p

8. Che Castro macrumors 603

Ok but read my post

If they stop making the iPad 2 & price the ipad mini $350 to $400

What about next year when the iPad 4 comes out

Are they going to drop the iPad 3 too ?

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The pricing structure of an iPad Mini is a problem.

Apple's current iOS lineup leaves zero room for an iPad mini unless the iPad2 is dropped completely and Apple ends the tradition of floating the earlier generation as a lower priced alternative.

The new iPod Touch really kicked the notion of a iPad Mini in the gut.

10. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Because it provides features and functionality that the iPad 2 doesn't? Or perhaps the iPad 2 gets dropped from the product line?

I agree the pricing "room" between the iPod Touch and iPad doesn't leave much room for another product, but there are ways.

First, eliminate from any comparisons with the iPad 2, and just think about the iPod Touch and iPad 3. I think any features in this rumoured device will more closely mimic those in the iPad 3 and new iPod Touch, than those of the previous gen iPad.

What would happen if they scaled up in form factor the iPod Touch, would the price they charged for such a device seem strangely out of place all of a sudden, as long as it was below the base iPad 3?

What if the iPad Mini was a new model in the iPad line that is announced with the next generation of the iPad, and just came at a slight discount?

All these things are possible, and it's still entirely possible there will be no iPad Mini - that would be very sad for me, as I might just have to go buy a Kindle Fire.

11. dchao macrumors 6502a

$199 is entirely possible. Apple TV is $99. Why can't they sell a media tablet for $199 (subsidized model)? Apple is good at thinking outside the box. ;)

Removal of the native YouTube app from iOS 6 is another indicator that, there will be a purposely build media tablet including the YouTube app, and the new iTunes front-end.

12. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

There have always been iPod touches that have occupied that price point. If the last generation iPod touch wasn't an issue about the idea of an iPad mini, the current iPod touch doesn't either.

13. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

Apple TV is also $99 because it doesn't have a screen, and the system is locked right now because touch interface apps don't easily transfer to a non-touch interface system. I'm still hoping they open it up and the ATV becomes something much more, which they could easily do at some point, and I wouldn't have to buy a new device, it would work on my current one.

I don't see their launching a 7" media tablet for a low price, what market would that serve? Their model isn't low-price, subsidised devices - that's Amazon. Apple sells and makes money off hardware, they don't produce hardware to sell more content. They sell content to make their hardware more valuable to the consumer.

A cheap 7" device is not what I want, I want a full featured 7" tablet with a high resolution screen that runs iOS, and I'm willing to pay for it.

14. jdag macrumors 6502a

Whether it is sooner or later, I do believe that there will be an iPad in the 7-8" screen size range. I see all of the arguments about it not fitting in the current pricing structure, but I believe that's irrelevant.

The use case and form factor of a 7-8" tablet is quite different from an iPod Touch and a traditional iPad. Just because an iPod Touch can be upwards of $400, doesn't mean that an entry-level iPad Mini can't be say $250-$300.

While there are certainly buyers that would not consider buying an iPod Touch because "you can get an iPad Mini for the same/less", there are also huge numbers of people that would never consider getting an iPod Touch at all (it is too small, they already have a smartphone, etc.).

Ultimately, all of these devices are luxuries (to most of us that don't have to have one specifically for our jobs). So added flexibility and choice is fine.

And also consider how relatively untapped the tablet market is. There is such tremendous growth potential in all size categories. Will Apple concede the 7-8" space to Google and Amazon? I doubt it.

15. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Thats all fine n good, but Apple are a company which like to make profit on their products, quite a healthy one too. The iPad mini if its priced at $250 wouldn't give them nearly as much profit. Im almost inclined to think that they might decrease the price of the iPod range by 50-100, then introduce the iPad mini, thats if they do release one.

At the moment though, there is a real pricing structure if you look at Apples methods where the next model up can often be 200-400 more. 13" MBP- 15" MBP, or another example the different capacity iPhones on offer, or capacity iPads. Everything is very ordered atm. I don't see how an iPad mini can fit in the gap...

hmmmmm *thinking cap*

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

First of all, that's assuming the features are relatively the same. Other than screen size, we don't know what the features are like on the iPad Mini yet, so it's impossible to say that it can't compete with the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7.

Second, even if the features were largely the same, the iPad Mini could still sell for a price premium over the others. Take for example the 9" tablets. The Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE 32GB is $500 and the iPad 3 4G LTE 32GB is $730. That's a $230 premium not to mention vastly more expensive data plans on the iPad. People will pay more for Apple's build quality, greater availability of accessories, and the plethora of applications available on iOS, many of which they've already paid for on their iPod, iPad, or iPhone.

I guess you haven't been paying attention because this has been hashed to death over and over again. Basically there are people who like lightweight, portability, and compactness. Show me an iPad that's lighter, more compact, more portable, and less expensive? Sounds great to me!

In fact, this all sounds to me like the people who couldn't understand the MacBook Air. Smaller and less capable than a full laptop, and almost as expensive?!?!? It'll never catch on!

17. Izzybeff macrumors member

This! Some of us are just willing to pay the same or near the same for the smaller device. I really hope they bring it out as I will be ordering one the moment it becomes available. I've not updated my original iPad yet in hopes they would come out with a smaller one. If they don't i'll have to start looking at other options, but I really hope they do.

18. simply stunning macrumors regular

I have had the same thought since they price the newest Ipod touch at 299. I feel that this is apple though, and it might not be to compete against that competition, as it as a spot for them to fill a hole where people want the sized device. Apple has already made it pretty clear that they make high(er) end products, and if you want it cheap to look somewhere else, so I would have to agree that if this where to happen it would be at the $400 start price.

19. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

If you honestly believe the iPad Mini won't have all the features of at least the $299 iPod Touch, you are crazy. Keep in mind the iPod Touch doesn't even have the A6 chip. Apple likes large margins. They won't release an iPad Mini for equal or less than the iPod Touch. It would be a *minimum* of $349 (most likely $399.

I'm not saying it isn't worth its price tag, as Apple makes great products, but just because something is a great product, doesn't mean it will stick in the mainstream.

Think if the iPad Mini is $399 for the base model, when you add LTE and go up in storage.. you'll be paying near $600-700. That doesn't compete with the low-end tablet market.

I really want an iPad Mini, I do. I just don't see how it makes economical sense for Apple to release one at their current setup. Keep in mind, if they were planning to release one in October, they would have thought it out and priced the iPod Touch accordingly, not raise it by nearly $100.

20. dchao macrumors 6502a

I think Apple can pair up ATV with iPad mini. Sell them as a bundle. Like Wii U and Wii U tablet. The possibility is endless. Otherwise, why did Apple remove the YouTube app from iOS 6? Because there is going to be a brand new media tablet.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

'Don't want a 9.7" tablet' would be one reason. Don't just assume that your preferences are universal.

22. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

You aren't understanding. I PREFER a 7"-8" tablet. This thread isn't about what I like. It is about economics and what would make sense FOR APPLE FROM A BUSINESS PERSPECTIVE!

At $399 a 7.85" iPad wouldn't sell very well when it's big brother is just slightly more. Yes people on MacRumors would buy one, but your average consumer would not. Your average consumer doesn't get on MacRumors, watch YouTube reviews.. they are the ones that go to Best Buy and ask a guy making $9 an hour what he thinks of a piece of tech.

EDIT: Also, back on topic, at $399 to the people that do pay that for the iPad Mini, they will be debating iPad or iPad Mini. Therefore they are strictly competing with themselves.. defeating the whole purpose of introducing one to compete with the likes of the Nexus 7/Kindle.

23. RenoG macrumors 65816

At this point Apple will do whatever it wants and charge whatever it wants, why because they can, and people will buy it. It doesn't have to make price point sense. Apple competes with itself first and foremost, not so much with price but in tech, see every keynote. The most revolutionary iphone ever. The best iphone yet etc..They never say the best phone ever or the best tablet ever made. They create their own paths and compete with themselves on that that path.
    Will they come out with a mini maybe maybe not, if they do they'll make a killing if they don't it wont matter. Heck if they want they can make a bigger touch and name it iTouch2 and bundle it with a newly featured ATV if they want.
    Again Apple can do what ever it wants and they will. Just have to sit back and wait and watch.

24. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

The only problem with the iPad mini is it doesn't exist.

ru·mor   /ˈrumər/ Show Spelled[roo-mer] Show IPA
    noun
    1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts: a rumor of war.
    2. gossip; hearsay: Don't listen to rumor.
    3. Archaic . a continuous, confused noise; clamor; din.

25. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I completely agree with all of that. I never said it would be cheap. Quite the opposite, I said it could command a premium.

The only the disagreement here is that I think it will sell just fine at higher price points even with an iPad 2 and 3 in the mix.

----------

(1) This joke is old and dead. I'd remind you this site is called MacRumors, where we talk about rumors.

(2) You don't know that it doesn't exist. You only know it isn't officially confirmed. I'd bet that it does exist in a lab somewhere even if Apple has no plans to sell one.