The RAM Conundrum for the SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SSD-GUY, Mar 21, 2016.

1. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Any news on whether it's 1GB or 2GB?

Based on the fact that the SE is using the Touch ID found in the iPhone 6/6plus, I feel Apple could maybe pull a fast one and only put 1GB of RAM in the SE.

2. Ternary macrumors regular

Saw this thread coming...

I'd honestly be more surprised if the SE had 1GB of RAM. So far, every A9 device has at least 2GB RAM, and I really don't see Apple wanting to use 1GB in 2016, considering the SE will have its share of software updates.

3. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

They advertise the performance as being identical to the iPhone 6s, so I'm assuming it's 2.

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

While more RAM would be better, this baby is still going to fly off the shelves. And Apple knows that.

5. SSD-GUY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well 2GB would be nice. 1GB would be quite limiting down the road with future updates etc.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

2gb ensures at least one of these purchased for the family. I was talking about getting it for my sin by now my wife wants it. She may end up giving our son the 6s.

All that said I can't see myself recommend ding the device if it has just 1gb.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yes because the general public doesn't care or know what RAM even is! :D

8. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

1gb = no purchase.
    No need to penny pinch on ram in 2016.

9. pdoobs macrumors newbie

lets hope it's ability to record 4k video requires that it have 2gb. please let it have 2gb. please...

10. rasputin1969 macrumors 6502

After watching the Verge's hands on I'm 100% sure it has 2GB. At one point in the video Deiter switchs through a number of apps, including a high ram usage game. Not one of apps reloaded - it must have 2GB.

11. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

12. JayJohnPaul macrumors regular

JayJohnPaul

Probably 1.5GB to cut costs since it's a cheaper phone, lol. #scumbagapple

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple doesn't release that info, so you either roll the dice and order the phone, or your wait a couple of weeks and see what people say.

Me, I'm going to order it

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Yep, one can always return it. Someone will have it soon though to finally end the guessing game.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

We'll know the same day it hits the streets if it's 2gb or not.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

17. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

I have a hard time seeing anything less then 2gb. As others have said, every A9 has had 2gb. Apple would have to design a new A9 SOC (more like edit current design) with 1gb specifically for this phone. Would probably cost more to make this edit and optimize then to just keep going with standard 2gb A9. Surprises can always happen though.....

18. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Here are two thoughts:
    • What if it has 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM (like the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4) rather than LPDDR4 RAM (like the iPhone 6s)?
    • What if the flash speeds are not as fast as the 6s and instead remain the same as the iPhone 6?
    Certainly possible and even probable, but even if both of those things are true, the SE is still a great value.

19. GoneDrinkin macrumors regular

Might seem insignificant the majority of people, but I really really wish it had a 5MP front facing camera. I was going to wait out for the 7, but this seems like such a great phone at a great price. With another year of college still left I may just go ahead and order it, but that 1.2MP camera is putting me off. I'm a massive snapchatter, admittedly.

20. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yeah, and it's the one from the 5s (f/2.4 aperture), not the one from the 6 (f/2.2 aperture). I would have expected at least the iPhone 6's FaceTime HD camera.

Very strange decision, but overall, it's still much improved for $50 less.

21. Zackmd1, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

They are likely just using the exact same front panel assembly from the 5s. That's why this phone is so "cheap". Very little modifications were likely done to the manufacturing process of the 5s in order to make the SE. So now the phone price doesn't have to include the manufacturing cost of new design iPhones. I would be willing to bet that most if not all components of the SE will fit in a 5s housing no problem. Small things like power button ribbon cables and such are likely unchanged from the 5s. Or at least that is how I would have designed the SE.

22. GoneDrinkin macrumors regular

The absolute only thorn I can find with this phone.

Such a shame, but if I'm travelling to the US and can get the 64GB for $499 as apposed to €599 I'll get over that minor gripe very quickly!

23. Quicklite macrumors regular

Are the reporters at the event embargoed from installing any app that would reveal the RAM stats?? Or saving it for the next media cycle?

24. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl