The reason there is no FireWire in the new MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by butterfly0fdoom, Oct 16, 2008.

1. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because of the case's design, something (Ethernet or one of the USB ports) would have to have been sacrificed for FireWire (because the K-slot is designed to align with the rear panel latch).

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They really did a great job of shrinking the mainboard.

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Even if that is true I would have preferred them to drop one of the USB ports. I have never used both at once, and if I did require it, there are small external hubs that can be easily used. But I do use Firewire for target disk mode and that's somewhat important to me.

4. Wayne s macrumors regular

It is quite amazing how little there actually is, inside the MacBook. Very clever people with some fantastic idea's at Apple, unfortunately, its way out of my price range for the foreseeable future.

5. cube macrumors G5

That's not a valid reason. Design should follow function, not the reverse.
    Heck, a FW port in the back would be better than no FW at all!

6. ec51 macrumors 6502

No the real reason was to make "pros" (as SJ referred to 'them') to opt for the MBP. Simple as that...

7. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

What if the majority (90%) of laptops (about 150-200) bought for users at a company are macbooks, and they have always used firewire to transfer a user from their old computer to the new one in less than half hour? From mac to mac that is.

I'll have to ask the IT department here at work what they think about them. I'm guessing they wont be happy.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's Apple... so it's reversed. :apple:

9. cube macrumors G5

And that's why I have still not upgraded from my Cube.

10. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

IMHO I would of prefered it if the ethernet port was sacrificed instead of the Firewire port. The Firewire port is important to me for my video production and music and audio recording. This is the reason why I will not upgrade my macbook for the latest model aswell as it being £200 more expensive.

Artmuzz

11. cube macrumors G5

What kind of submissive attitude is that? Gigabit ethernet is ESSENTIAL for network backups.

12. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

the cube, ah yes, the embodiment of function over form. not a thing vain about it

13. cube macrumors G5

It was my first and only Mac. I got dazzled, I didn't know better.

14. MrGando macrumors member

True that. Damn, can't buy this thing without firewire.

15. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes, that would make more sense, since it's a lot easier to find USB hubs than ethernet/firewire converters/dongles.

16. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

The so called submissive attitude is that for £200 extra you would expect all the ports that was on the old Macbook. I'm certainly pissed with Apple if they expect me to throw away my digital camera and FW Audio interface and spend £200 more just to have the latest Macbook. I was all set in updating my Macbook too...oh well never mind:(

Artmuzz

17. butterfly0fdoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do agree that would have been a much better idea.

But my point is that, while differentiating the MB and the MBP further may have been a contributing factor, physical limitations seems to be another reason why Apple took out FireWire (that and my belief that nowadays it's useless to "normal" people [as in not the people that would post on here]; as I said in the other thread about FireWire, a lot of people (especially those that don't deal with DV camcorders, which is closer to being the majority) don't even know what it is, let alone what it's used for, thus, under that basis, making FireWire more expendable than the second USB port). Unless a USB port were sacrificed (because I doubt Ethernet will be sacrificed on any non-Air portables) or unless Apple implements FW S800T in a later revision, I don't think we'll be seeing FireWire returning to the regular MacBooks, especially once the White is dropped.

18. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I would agree that once gone it is probably gone for good. But you never know - by your argument, if the next major revision leaves enough space on the board maybe they will put it back. And then say they responded to customer input. ;)

19. butterfly0fdoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just look at the inside of the casing. Something has to be given up for a FireWire port (Apple's hinge design prevents it from being on the back) as the ports (including MagSafe and the K-Slot) take up the entire left side of the MacBook that's availiable because of the hard drive. Unless Apple changes the battery latch so that it's not aligned with the K-Slot, there's nowhere that Apple could place a FireWire port.

I still think using FW S800T is the best alternative. I think Apple should have gone that route from the start, actually, instead of implementing it as a Rev. B addition.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

21. butterfly0fdoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

You would, and so would the vast majority of people on this forum. But remember, more people out there than on this forum. And I've seen way too many people trying to jam flash drives into FireWire ports. (I'm just trying to be a voice of reason here)

22. quarx macrumors newbie

If Apple decided to support IEEE 1394c, FireWire 800 in the MacBook would be possible without any modification of the case.

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can just imagine the conversation:
    Designers: "Steve, we're going to have to add 1/2" to the depth of the MacBook or else we can't physically fit in the firewire port"

Jobs: "I refuse to compromise on the aesthetic beauty of the MacBook. The FireWire has to go. I'm sure no-one will mind too much because it makes the machine look so much sleeker"
    :D

24. butterfly0fdoom thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mentioned that earlier.

25. rightlyso macrumors member

I really feel your pain

I am a PC user, and even my piece of cr^p of a Dell laptop that I admit s^cks has a firewire port. I've only used once with a friend's camcorder, but it's there.